Trumpeter 1/32 109F-4 Trop

PhilB

I received this today for a very good price.

So I'll be building it probably pretty much oob and relying on what little modelling skill I have to see if I can make a decent representation of an F-4.

post-13803-1283527282.jpg

The reason I'm intending to do a Trop is primarily I have a spare quickboost trop filter and I really can't be bothered to do any mottling

so a trop scheme it will be.

Also with the imminent release of the Hasegawa F-4 Trop and its allegedly poor decals, by the time I get near to that stage the aftermarket decal people will be in full flow.

I am fully aware of the controversy regarding this kit but I believe in a fair trial, before anybody goes to the gas chamber!

There will be a few rules.

I will not be entering into any arguments about this kit.

There will be no third party debates about this kit on my thread.

If that starts to happen I will ask the mods to delete the posts.

This is a build thread NOT a forum for further bickering on this kit.

I will of course be quite happy to enter into constructive discussion on its merits!

I will build it and say what I think is good and what I think is bad.

The basic rule on this one comes from the SAMI airKraft guide which helped me on my return to modelling with all the new techniques that I needed

to learn.

Its written by Gary Hatcher the editor of the SAMI Mag.

Paragraph 8.1 states:

"PREROGATIVES: Ignore the pessimism and doom-laden nonsense of your peers.

Bear in mind that it is your model, your project and if you want to paint

it with bright pink Dulux and decal it with football stickers from packets

of bubblegum then that is your prerogative, and the rest of us know precisely what we can do".

From now on this will be known as RULE 8.1 :speak_cool:

Tomorrow when I get a bit of time I'll try and get some decent pictures of the sprues.

I've already seen that the exhausts could teach the am resin people a thing or two!

Right, "Seconds out, round 1" DING!!!!!

Phil

Eagle Decals already have two sheets for the F-4, mostly Africa, some Mediterranean.

Wow, some lovely schemes there Kev!

Best I get some on way across the big pond.

Well that's the decals sorted!

Thanks Kev!!

Phil :speak_cool:

So I'll be building it probably pretty much oob and relying on what little modelling skill I have to see if I can make a decent representation of an F-4.

Phil, what little modelling skill you have? :speak_cool: (You do yourself a dis-service Sir!).

I like Rule 8.1 ;)

Cheers

Derek

Since building consists of sticking plastic parts together using glue I'm sure you'll succeed. Seeing as there is a box full of plastic there and you probably have some glue :speak_cool:

If you're interested in reviewing the kit in any sort of historical / accuracy context , I would suggest that this kit isn't two far off base for an early 109G2, and has obvious issues if you chose to build it as an F-4 (Actually will result in something similar to building the hasegawa 109G-4 and sticking F-4 decals on it).

If you are not looking for tha kind of input - nevermind :) .

I too am interested in to see how this model looks completed.

Regards,

Frank

I'm looking forward to this one.

There are a number of sheets out there for the F's, as mentioned. Most suggest the Hasegawa/Aires conversion setup, but there's nothing fitted to the kit, so they should work.

C

Go Phil!

I have had trouble with Trumpy kits in the past (my own fault) and am interested to see how you get along with this one.

By the way, I really do want to paint a 109 pink with purple spots!

There's a strange group of sci-fi guys in the local club that did a series of warbirds in odd colors. They looked like photo negatives....pinks, oranges, bright greens, etc. Just not right....

C