Jump to content
LSP_Ron

Count me in!

Recommended Posts

Guest Peterpools

Ron

Proof is in the paint. All the time you put into sanding, filling seam and gaps, paid off in aces. Looks great.

Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great job Ron, I think you are pulling this scheme off perfectly! It has been a while since my last limited run kit and you are boosting my confidence with this super clean job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Matt

 

Here is a little update with the decals added.

 

The kit decals are a real bear to work with. I don't recall ever having such a hard time getting decals on a kit.

 

They are extremely thin and stretch and distort with little force so be careful sliding them off the carrier sheet. They instantly react to Micro Set so don't apply mirco set before laying down the decal or you won't be able to move the decal once it is slide onto the kit... and I mean it's instantaneous. My first few were laid down and I couldn't move them into position and if you force it you'll stretch the decal. I struggled with these for sometime and they still are not perfect.

 

The port side DT call sign was tough getting off the carrier sheet so I re-dipped it in warm water. It instantly balled up into a big blob and was rendered useless. I've never seen a decal do that before? just blink :BANGHEAD2: and it was a grey blob. I had to piece another together using spare letters from the sheet.

 

The wing roundels dried with hundreds of pin sized air bubbles trapped in them. Three applications of Micro Sol have done nothing to cure this even when pricked with a pin. I've never had this happen with a decal before. They will have to do I guess.

 

The decals are a disappointment.

 

PA200001.jpg

PA200004.jpg

PA200003.jpg

PA200005.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's difficult to tell on a monitor screen, but the decals look pretty good where I sit. Maybe another gloss coat will settle them some more?

 

I've made a mental note for the future, so thanks for that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It's difficult to tell on a monitor screen, but the decals look pretty good where I sit. Maybe another gloss coat will settle them some more?

 

I've made a mental note for the future, so thanks for that!

 

Aside from the roundels, once they were down they were down and did conform to panel lines and bumps really well. I ended up putting them on with water, positioned them then covered with Microsol for a few minutes then with Microset. They did not silver at all.

 

That said, they were a real bugger getting them on. I don't think the Roundels will settle down. I am hoping a dull coat minimizes the appearance of the bubbles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bummer about the roundels. I have always had good luck with Cartograf stuff. They look ok in the pics though.

 

Me too, but these ones reacted completely different then previous ones I've used. Maybe I got a bad set? could happen...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys,

 

Well I have it dull coated and started the weathering. Unfortunately I semi-pooched the canopy last night.

 

The canopy sits very high on the fuse so I forced it down to make it look like it sits in the correct position. I used instant thick CA to hold it down. I almost never use CA on canopies but what else can you use when you need a high bond strength to keep it in place?

 

The canopy was futured so the CA would not cloud it but even though I used thick CA very sparingly it still capillaried under the canopy in two places. On top and on the starboard side. You can see this in these pics

 

Oh well, certainly not my best effort in a kit. It's actually one of the worst if done in a few years. :mental: All that is left is the gear and finish off the weathering

 

PA280004.jpg

PA280002.jpg

PA280003.jpg

PA280001.jpg

PA280005.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She looks great Ron! If you did not say anything about the canopy I would not have noticed. I still am having hard time seeing the problem.

 

Very nice work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks guys,

 

Actually I do like the weathering. I've started using a new method. No more preshading, post shading or washes with this one. I am using Tamiya's fairly new weathering pigments and man are they nice and easy to use. I was planning on doing a little how to thing in tips and tools someday soon.

 

Matt the photos don't show the glue that well

 

Ron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks fantastic to me as do all of your builds. I don't see the glue either. I have successfully cleaned CA glue fumes and small spots off of canopy glass with auto wax. You might give that a try if you can get to the problem spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks,

 

Well I finally got off my duff and finished this one. It fought me the whole way. I think I've broken the windscreen and gun sight at least four times now. Knocked off the left nav light a few times and lost the clear light for the rudder. Oh well, I am glad this one is done.

 

I'll post pics in the next few days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...