Iain

Trumpeter English Electric Lightning corrections

Well - I missed out on a vacuum chamber on Ebay - but the search continues - if anyone has a 'heads up' on a second hand chamber and pump I'd love to hear!

Had a few good Lightning related chats at Telford (and a few friendly nags! wink.gif ) - and also took delivery of a set of patterns for a completely different subject (no - am not telling 'til I have something concrete (OK - resin) to announce) - but it has given me a bit more impetus having seen some patterns created by someone else who's don rather a lot of pattern making.

Will finish the sill area and canopy pattern over next couple of weeks and we'll get some vacs pulled as soon as I can get down to Devon (where the machine is).

The project is most definately not stalled - just taking a *lot* longer than anticipated.

Iain

Just found this thread and it looks like you'll be a one-stop shop for the Trump Lightning, hopefully we'll see a few more being built with your correction set available!

Can i put my name on the list to buy a vac form canopy off you when ready?

James

Having summoned up some more enthusiasm/interest I've mostly be pattern making this 'arvo.

Really want to get these finished - but have found it a long slog and *very* depressing at times.

At least if I can get the shapes finished I can pass along to a proper resin caster if I can't get the necessary kit together.

Tanks/underfuselage plug shapes amended - almost ready for detail to be added!

re2005528.JPG

Have been shaping the sill area - need to add front and rear 'bulkheads' from plastic sheet this evening and take a look at narrowing down the kit's coaming:

re2005529.JPG

Almost there with spine shape - now tapers in profile and incorporates the extension. Also spotted that it's straight sided in plan (as moulded it has differing angles of taper) - now corrected but means I need to re-visit spine behind the canopy - argh... :deadhorse:

re2005530.JPG

Maybe more later - off to get some bread and milk...

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Glad your back at it , mate! I would love to see this done. I very much would love an accurate MK6.....Harv :speak_cool:

Well - I missed out on a vacuum chamber on Ebay - but the search continues - if anyone has a 'heads up' on a second hand chamber and pump I'd love to hear!

Iain,

Are you looking at degassing your resin, or the moulding rubber?

I have a small vacuum pump which is surplus to requirements, pulls a strong 29.5"Hg. It's a couple of years old, not used much as I needed a bigger (faster) pump for the particular application.

If it's any interest, drop me a line and I'll mail you the specs for it.

Cheers,

Bill.

Having summoned up some more enthusiasm/interest I've mostly be pattern making this 'arvo.

Really want to get these finished - but have found it a long slog and *very* depressing at times.

At least if I can get the shapes finished I can pass along to a proper resin caster if I can't get the necessary kit together.

Tanks/underfuselage plug shapes amended - almost ready for detail to be added!

re2005528.JPG

Have been shaping the sill area - need to add front and rear 'bulkheads' from plastic sheet this evening and take a look at narrowing down the kit's coaming:

re2005529.JPG

Almost there with spine shape - now tapers in profile and incorporates the extension. Also spotted that it's straight sided in plan (as moulded it has differing angles of taper) - now corrected but means I need to re-visit spine behind the canopy - argh... :deadhorse:

re2005530.JPG

Maybe more later - off to get some bread and milk...

Iain

Wow! Great work Iain! Now feeling happier at having been too ill to make a serious start on my Lightnings!

tony t

Edited by Tony T

Iain,

Are you looking at degassing your resin, or the moulding rubber?

I have a small vacuum pump which is surplus to requirements, pulls a strong 29.5"Hg. It's a couple of years old, not used much as I needed a bigger (faster) pump for the particular application.

If it's any interest, drop me a line and I'll mail you the specs for it.

Cheers,

Bill.

Hi Bill,

Funnily enough someone over on Britmodeller has also dropped me a line about a vacuum pump - going from drought to flood! :)

So, yes, potentially interested - do you have any other specs on it and a price?

Could really do with getting set up properly as I now have a set of masters for another project, as well as Heinkel exhausts that I could make available if I can cast with good enough quality.

Iain

Question: New leading edges/root sections for wings - or complete resin wings?

What would be your preferences?

I'm now leaning towards latter - but it's a lot more resin! Would make the 'fix' easier for builder, would allow me to fix the incorrectly tapered flaps and get that outer-wing 'crease' more prominent.

Thoughts/abuse appreciated - I have Lightning patterns in front of me as I type...

Oh - and for any that missed the various conversations - I now have a decent vac tank and industrial strength vac pump - just need to be able to connect the two...

Iain

Entire resin wing sections will be almost impossible to build enough integrity into to avoid warpage and slow bending over time.

With he amount of resin in the fuselage resin wings will struggle.

If you have a source of new non flexing resin which can handle the load that would be great like what the Panther and Ougare are made from.

Big job good luck but I'd be sticking with inserts..lighter..cheaper..

All the best..

Very good point Darren - if full wings they'd have metal 'spars' integral with the resin - and interlock through the fuselage...

But, yes, weight, with the tanks/other mods there's a lot of weight already - without the wings!

Wanders off for a ponder...

Iain

With the amount of resin involved in the whole wing sections, how would that affect the overall costings of the correction set? The reason I ask is that an accurate lightning is one thing but when one would be spending the same amount on a correction kit as the original kit that would put the price up to around £180.00 for an F6 ... Wow!

My personal vote would be for the inserts, and to be completely honest, how many viewers would even notice an uncorrected kit wing. I know there are rivet counters out there and that Trumpeters wing shape is off but I would be interested in how many comments would be passed in general on the wing shape of a built model?

Just a thought.

Indeedy - very mindful of price (as well as weight!)

I suspect most builders will be happy to fix the worst offending areas first - the wings are a little down that list...

Probably most noticeable on the early versions as the wings are too thick - and, once you notice that, it's very hard to ignore...

Iain

God luck with the project mate...metal inserts sound interesting but expensive.

Maybe the KISS principle may apply...

Your work looks great so far be keeping a clse eye on your progress and prepare my credit card for shock treatment!!