Sutton Harness Question

PopPop

My question relates to the location for the pin and the triangular piece on the Sutton QK Harness.

I am using Radu's harness. In his directions the pin is on the right belt of the harness and the triangular piece is attached to the left belt (as worn by the pilot).

However, in following some of the forums, it seems like the reverse is true.

Any comments would be appreciated... I am at the point in my build that I have to attach them very soon.

Regards,

Charlie

Radu and I have joshed each other about this, and I don't castigate him, at all, if he's "wrong." The only decent drawing, that I've ever seen, is this life-size example, sitting in the National Archives at Kew, and I only discovered it, by chance, a few months ago.

SpitfireMtype.jpg

As this shows, the straps were numbered, and the pin appears to have been positioned so that it can be pulled, naturally, by someone who's right-handed (Radu has decided that his pilot was left-handed, but let's not get pedantic over that.) It's a simple matter to swap his straps over.

Edgar

Yes, there was some confusion about this in the first batch of seatbelts. After Edgar pointed out that it was on the right side, I changed the instructions (mirrored the image). Edgar is right and I trust his judgement on this. I am surprised there is still talk about this on "some forums". There was never any "controversy" about this, it was simply an error in the instruction sheet of the first batch, affecting about 25 seatbelt sets. Many, many, many more sets were made with the correct instructions since then. I apologise for any confusion caused.

However, I MUST point out that the triangular locking clip could also be inserted from the other side (i.e. to be pulled with the left hand) if the pilot wished to do so. This type of seatbelts could be opened by ambidextrous people, they were not limited to right-handed people only. This it is the same thing as a left handed or a right handed beaker or a matchstick that has the striker at one end or the other. :goodjob: The hole in the pin went from left to right as well as from right to left. :BANGHEAD2: The locking clip could be inserted either way, all you needed to do was turn it. So, it is clearly obvious that the hand with which one pulled the triangular locking clip is of little relevance in thise case and the choice made by the manufacturer may have more to do with the order in which the belts overlap, with the right shoulder strap coming last (i.e. on top of the bundle). Therefore, the reason why the locking pin was attached to the right shoulder strap was to prevent the cable from getting entangled in the belts and tying/strangling/bundling them together instead of releasing them.

Radu

I'll second Edgar's diagram, as the one we used when designing our Sutton Harness SBH in 1996(all scales) was reference from the RAF Museum, and it showed the pin on the pilot's left chest belt, release pin on a lanyard from the other side. And our thanks to an ex-RAF pilot from WWII for supplying it, too. Friends in high places... a grand old man who knew the right people.    :evil_laugh:

Clever design, too; for quick-release, all the pilot has to do is slide his hand(open fingers) across his belt set and - voila -he's free.