Count me in! 1/32 MkI Spitfire

70 odd bits, some Superglue... how hard could it be?

Dodgy looking crew on here so far!

No kidding.

Little Markus 'n' me are going to join in with something nice and simple. I probably won't even bother painting the insides.

The eventual scheme will be the same as Thors (Alan Deere, KLB)

Considering the other Riff Raff in here, how could I resist joining in? :)

I probably won't even bother painting the insides.

And then again, maybe I will...

1.jpg

This is literally a brand new kit but there's a ton of flash and the moulding is showing some serious milage.

.....I probably won't even bother painting the insides.

And then again, maybe I will...

I knew you couldn't resist that one. :) lol

Lots of us have the the dreaded "Disease" lololol :unsure: :lol: still lookin good, quickie or not...

Brian

I knew you couldn't resist that one. :speak_cool: lol

Yeah, I consider it "Future proofing". I can re-paint the outside easy enough but I don't want to have to take it apart to paint the inside if I don't have to.

Wow, quick work Keith! I know you probably just slapped some paint on, but that engine looks pretty good!
I'm with Kev, the engine looks really good, how did you paint it, to

look like that?

Is your model the DW-K version or the later version?

Thanks Fellas. Yep, it's amazing what you can do with a little Superglue. Or a lot of Superglue. :rolleyes:

Engine sprayed with Tam Gunmetal (X-10) and the slathered with watery flat black (XF-1)

It's a real short cut method and looks terrible up close.

I am actually building this kit:

4780.jpg

But will be leaving out all the "B" parts and painting it Green/Brown/Sky.

I've got some decals comming (I hope).

Can anyone scan a relatively accurate camo pattern and post it here somewhere please?

After stretching and squeezing and glueing and filing and cutting and trimming and taping and swearing, a quick test fit:

3.jpg

2.jpg

This thing just doesn't want to fit together. Woe betide anyone who wants to make a decent model out of this kit.

Strewth!

Slow down Keith!!! :mental:

I think the best scan for the camo would be out of the SAMI Modellers datafile. They normally have a good

piece at the back showing both the camo patterns depending on the odd or even serial number.

Unfortunatley mine is somewhere in the attic!

I looked for my Hurri one yesterday and couldn't find it.

Amazon wanted £75 for a used one! Sheesh! Luckily a mate is going to lend me his.

If you don't have any luck then I'll ask him to scan the camo scheme from his Spit one and I'll post it here.

I would imageine that someone here will have it to hand though!

Great progress!

Phil :rolleyes:

Thanks again folks.

I managed to find a couple of camo patterns on-line.

Can I assume that the pattern on a Mk.II will be the same, or at least similar?

Where's Edgar when you need him?

Now the spinner quandary has me stumped. The kit has both, which one is correct for P9398?

Thanks again folks.

I managed to find a couple of camo patterns on-line.

Can I assume that the pattern on a Mk.II will be the same, or at least similar?

Where's Edgar when you need him?

Now the spinner quandary has me stumped. The kit has both, which one is correct for P9398?

Hi keith

Drawing profiles I have in my Spitfire books show the spinnr for Mk I and II to be the same.

As far as camouflage goes, to my understanding the A/B patterns were still in use

when the Mk II came off the production lines and if memory serves correctly, aircraft with

an even ending serial were A scheme and those with odd were B scheme.

(Edgar is going to have to be immortal, as this site could never survive without him and his

great knowledge)

Hope that helps

Alan

Hi keith

Drawing profiles I have in my Spitfire books show the spinnr for Mk I and II to be the same.

As far as camouflage goes, to my understanding the A/B patterns were still in use

when the Mk II came off the production lines and if memory serves correctly, aircraft with

an even ending serial were A scheme and those with odd were B scheme.

(Edgar is going to have to be immortal, as this site could never survive without him and his

great knowledge)

Hope that helps

Alan

It does, thanks Alan.

Quick update...

All major construction done. So far, I've used an entire mini-tube of Cyanocrylate and had to stop to make a part that hadn't been completely formed (Did I mention the moulds are worn out!).

The port engine cover is missing the bit at the front. So I was faced with either scratching up a whole new one or just making the missing bit and adding it. I figured I'd scratch the whole thing to begin with and, if it didn't work out, I'd just chop the bit off I needed. Of course, it turns out to be a composite curve which is virtually impossible to do using a small piece of 1mm sheet. Anyway, I would have lost all that cool surface detail.

End result:

4.jpg

Shocking fit, more superglue needed:

7.jpg

Cockpit "detail":

5.jpg

Instant engine:

6.jpg

Looking really good Keith

Have to agree with Dave, this is the type of build that just

really helps you unwind and enjoy the build/modelling.

Brings back some cool memories too, as I received for Christmas

this Spitfire (DW-K) when I was about 10 or 11, built it up

and flew many a Battle, still have it in my collection.

Regards

Alan

Thanks boys.

I am enjoying it so far and my little guy pops his head in from time to time to check my progress. It's already had a dogfight with the Harvard but considering the Harvard is un-armed, the outcome was inevitable. More glue required :ph34r:

I've cleaned up the spinner and all the joints. I've properly fitted the wheels and strengthened the tail wheel (Won't help). More scratch-building was required when I attempted to test fit the clear parts as the canopy sliding rails were missing and I want to retain as many working features as I can. Unfortunately, some glue seeped into the tail wheel axle and it will never turn again but the prop still spins and that's the really important bit...

8.jpg

9.jpg