Hobby Boss Il-2 Single-Seater

Learstang

I've already ordered mine, Kagemusha. It looks like they have the stacks a little too perfect in that there should be a casting or welding line down the middle. In addition I've ordered two of the three Eduard photo-etched sets (one's a simplified "Zoom" version of one of the other two sets). Although it looks like the Eduard sets won't arrive in time to help me (I want to have this build done by the end of March), still it's nice to see the Hobby Boss kits are generating some aftermarket attention. In addition to the above items, Eduard have already released their mask set, which I've used, and Montex are going to release a mask set for the markings. Amazingly, Montex have the colour scheme as green and dark brown! Infuriating - despite what hundreds of colour profiles and instructions sheets say dark brown was not ever used on the Shturmovik and is the one myth about the IL-2 I would love to personally dispel if I could. If "Mr. Montex" is a member of this site I make a personal appeal to him - never represent a WWII Soviet aeroplane with a green and dark brown topsides scheme - it simply did not exist!

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

Off topic - but I find the current strategy of model magazine interesting from a business perspective. It seems that as the internet forums draw more and more readers away from print, these same print magazines are going out and literally paying to keep content off the internet in an effort to keep or attract subscribers. Put it another way, these print magazines are using the media format (internet forums) that are their main competition to find content and retain talent.

I also found it very interesting that a certain owners of at least two other forums I am aware of were hired by print magazines to be editors - again, a move, intentional or not, that keeps their focus off the internet forum.

Not criticizing mind you, just commenting on an interesting business observation...

Cheers,

Doug

Interesting observations indeed, Doug. In my case I had already started my thread on building the Hobby Boss IL-2 at about the same time I was talking with SAMI about doing an article for them so I don't think it was a calculated case of them trying to keep my "talents" (such as they are!) from appearing on an internet forum. However, the tug of war that's going on between the traditional print medium and online media is an interesting one and hopefully in the end, we modellers can have the best of both worlds. To be honest I'd hate to lose either medium as they both have their uses.

Regards,

Jason

As an (hopefully) interesting addendum to post #139 I actually contacted "Mr. Montex" and he was quite accepting of my comments on the colour scheme on his IL-2 mask set. I suppose it didn't hurt when I told him I thought the masks themselves looked very nice and I had just bought the set myself (I'll let all know what I think of it on this thread). He even humoured me by asking for help on a masking set for a particular arrow (the swept-winged two-seater). That's the nice thing about dealing with "cottage-industry" manufacturers - you actually get to talk to somebody, sometimes the proprietor himself. That's also a nice thing about this site - we have some of the vendors as members so we can communicate with them here.

Regards,

Jason

Well I've received the Montex masks and they look nice, if you keep in mind the profiles are wrong. They depict both machines as having metal fuselages, whereas they should be, all together now!, wooden. The profile also has the summer-camouflaged 'plane in the fictitious brown/green topsides scheme, which never, ever existed (this particular 'plane was actually finished in black/green topsides). The placement of the insignia and markings appear correct for both aircraft, however. The masks themselves look quite nice, and I especially like the way masks are provided for both the outsides and insides of the canopy. I can definitely recommend this masking set for anyone doing the Hobby Boss IL-2 single-seater. The two choices are very interesting aircraft (I even have the winter-camouflaged version done in 1/72nd scale :blush:).

Regards,

Jason

As an (hopefully) interesting addendum to post #139 I actually contacted "Mr. Montex" and he was quite accepting of my comments on the colour scheme on his IL-2 mask set. I suppose it didn't hurt when I told him I thought the masks themselves looked very nice and I had just bought the set myself (I'll let all know what I think of it on this thread). He even humoured me by asking for help on a masking set for a particular arrow (the swept-winged two-seater). That's the nice thing about dealing with "cottage-industry" manufacturers - you actually get to talk to somebody, sometimes the proprietor himself. That's also a nice thing about this site - we have some of the vendors as members so we can communicate with them here.

Regards,

Jason

that's interesting and also good to hear

Montex make nice masks, but i would always want to confirm their profiles independently, as i have seen errors in sets i have looked at (and reviewed for Scale Plastic and Rail)

since you are "Mr Il-2", i can think of no-one better for them to consult - they get accurate profiles, and you should definitely be getting free masks!

:)

that's interesting and also good to hear

Montex make nice masks, but i would always want to confirm their profiles independently, as i have seen errors in sets i have looked at (and reviewed for Scale Plastic and Rail)

since you are "Mr Il-2", i can think of no-one better for them to consult - they get accurate profiles, and you should definitely be getting free masks!

:)

Thank you very much, Nick! "Mr. IL-2". Maybe I'll have some business cards made up with that, and I do like the idea of getting some free masks as my consultation fee. The particular 'plane I'm helping him out with now turns out not to be an arrow, but the straight-winged two-seater, and a particularly colourful one at that.

Regards,

Jason

Well, I've actually started the final painting on my bird, and will finish up the lower surfaces today, moving on to the upper camouflage starting tomorrow (or today - I need to get this model finished!). Here is a photograph of the propeller - nothing special, but I'm fairly pleased with the weathering. Please note that the Shturmoviks did not normally have yellow tips to the blades, despite what you may see on restored examples and profiles. They sometimes had stenciling on the front of the blades, but even this was often painted over. In this case the black spinner is a continuation of the black nose camouflage.

Regards,

Jason

HobbyBossPropeller.jpg

• 1 month later...

As one of my (very) occasional updates, here is the work I did on the windscreen. The Hobby Boss kit unaccountably leaves out the lines that were present on the windscreen (which I've even seen reproduced in 1/72nd scale kits), so I had to scribe in my own. Since the lines were not aiming lines, as is often erroneously reported, but join lines between armoured plates of glass, the lines had to be scribed on both the outsides and insides of the windscreen for a proper appearance. I can tell you that it is somewhat nerve-wracking work. In addition to the join lines, I added the crosshairs that appeared on the inside of the front part of the windscreen. I did this by scanning the windscreen inserts from the Eduard PE interior set (Eduard evidently think all the join lines were aiming lines) and printing out the crosshairs part on decal sheet, then applying the decal to the interior of the windscreen. I'm fairly pleased with the result, and at any rate it's a vast improvement over the plain windscreen as provided by Hobby Boss (although I have to say that all the clear parts in the kit are commendably clear). With any luck, this should be my last update, as hopefully my next post will be to announce when the build is appearing in Scale Aviation Modeller International magazine.

Regards,

Jason

HobbyBossIL-2-FrontofWindscreenfromOutside.jpg

That is a clever idea Jason to make a decal out of the Eduard crosshair. It looks very good on your model.

Cheers,

Hans

Thank you, Hans! The paint under the windscreen is a bit rough as when I took that photograph I hadn't blended in the windscreen (paintwise) with the fuselage yet. It looks a little cleaner and integrated now.

Regards,

Jason

• 5 years later...

It took SAM only 5 years from recieving the article to publishing it. Thats really a fast pace. Comes close to call it "hectic", indeed... :whistle:

Nevertheless, nice model :speak_cool: Hope it is still alive.

Did you meanwhile some other modelling?

Regards

- dutik