Photo's from my Father's album

PhilB

Hi Iain,

No problems at all with posting the pictures, you are more than welcome.

The first set are postcards. In those days there weren't too many cameras about so some enterprising soul used to sell them

to the apprentices. The "dodgy" writing on the front was done by the photographer.

I was at Halton a few years ago for an exhibition and it was interesting to see the old accomodation blocks still there.

Here is a photo of the remembrance day parade in 1926:

Halton.jpg

You will probably recognise some of the buildings?

The photo of the "Bugle" is actually an early Boulton & Paul design (they of the Defiant) There is a Wickipedia entry but no photo.

Apparently they only built seven.

Perhaps I have a rare picture of it???

Phil

Great picture Phil. The place really hasn't changed a great deal over the last 84 years or so (I was posted there for my RAF flying clothing course, and more latterly, my officer's range conducting course a few years ago). I remember the hill clearly (especially marching up and down it several times a day!). I was billeted in one of those barrack blocks at one time.

Thanks for the memory

Derek

Many thanks Phil! :wacko:

Yes - that's Henderson Square - still used for recruit Passing Out Parades. Blocks still there - just the addition of a Tornado.

Always had a soft spot for RAF Halton - not only is it where I learned to fly (lovely old grass airfield that is probably identical in format to the early 20's), but it was also my parent station when I was an officer in the RAFVR(T) in the late 80's/early 90's. Was, and still is, a very nice station.

Halton House (Officers Mess) has featured in some big films - Indian Jones, Bond, etc.. and the airfield was home to the 'Flyboys' film.

Biggest changes I've seen are the closure of the Hospital and the change from being the School of Technical Training to Recruit Training.

Iain

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again Phil :)

Many, many thanks for permitting me to share with the guys at Halton - really appreciated.

I've posted the photo's here - hopefully you can see?

http://www.facebook.com/photo_search.php?o...56&view=all

Don't know if you've ever flown from Halton - but would be delighted to take you up for a spin in one of the club's aeroplanes/give you a tour of the hangars if you'd like to sometime - drop me a PM.

Regards,

Iain

Hi Iain.

The photo's really look good and I'm glad I was able to add a bit of history to your collection.

Thanks for the offer of the flight, I may take you up on it! (rather not have a spin if you know what I mean! :speak_cool: )

BTW Good luck with your lightning work.

I had been waiting for so long for a 1/32 lightning then saw the issues with the Trumpy.

Yoou could make my day with your conversions!

Phil

• 2 years later...

Hello Phil,

I`ve just come across this post and as a Fleet Air Arm nut and keen follower of the Air War Over Malta I would like to say thanks to you for posting it.

The old Maltese castle was known by the RAF Officers and Sergeants from RAF Takali who used it as their mess as `The Mad House' because it was so `topsy turvy', especially as it had stables for Horses on the roof and an exterior staircase! think that it was the medieval home of a Maltese baron but it was wrecked by bombing in 1941-42.

Also the view across RAF Takali towards the dome at Mosta was taken from the control tower and the Blenheim by the steamroller was part of a detachment of Mk.IVf `fighters' from 113 Sqn sent from Egypt to supplement Beaufighters providing top cover for shipping strike Blenheims and Beauforts, because there was a shortage of Beaufighters for this job. As far as I know, this is the only photo of a 113 Sqn Blenheim IVf in Malta and believe it or not the steamroller shown in the photo was probably more precious than any of the aircraft and they were guarded within their own special pens as they were needed for repairing the bomb damage. I think the one at Takali had its own name but I cannot remember it.

lThe other twin is indeed a Maryland.

Phil I have sent you a PM,

All the best and cheers again,

Tony O

Great stuff! Always good to see new B & W pics! Love the Malta pics. Hurry's were the backbone there before spits could be ferried over by sea. Not to mention 'Faith', 'Hope', and Charity'. These three Gloster Gladiators fought for 17 days without relief and played a fundamental role in fooling the Italian intelligence into thinking Malta had a substantial fighter defence....I wonder if they make one in 1/32 scale....gorgeous bird that!

They were fitted with 3-bladed props in lieu of two for a faster rate of climb and one Italian Macchi 200 was shot down on the 7th day of the raid. The Glosters were much more manuverable you see...The extra blade on the prop, however, took it's toll on engine strain and two of the Glosters blew pistons...but leave it to the indominable British Spirit...Maintenance crews converted Blenheim bomber engines to fit the Gladiators.!.

Now THAT would be a neat scratch-build! :)

Edited by RT-14

Phil, great photo's, thank you for sharing.

........................ 'Faith', 'Hope', and Charity'. These three Gloster Gladiators....I wonder if they make one in 1/32 scale....gorgeous bird that!

Hi RT-14 to answer your question, Yup, they do! Silver Wings do both the Gladiator and more importantly the Sea Gladiator in 32nd scale.

My understanding, the R.A.F. had to ask for the Royal Navy's O.K. to use 'em.

Maintenance crews converted Blenheim bomber engines to fit the Gladiators.!.

Now THAT would be a neat scratch-build! :)

IF you can find a Blenheim engine in 32nd!

Paul

(Who's just booked ANOTHER holiday on Gozo!)

Thanks Phoenix, I'll look right now!..yes I was referring to scratch-building the engine only, and KOTR, thank you! I'll check with Vector! a Sea Gladiator wll be a terrific addition to my 32 scale!

Keep em' rollin' Phil, guys! I LOVE seeing photos like these!

Edited by RT-14