ScanmanDan

Martin XB-51

I'm going to try and combine the plans from a hand launched, rocket powered, tissue and balsa model with the drawings and parts from a scale paper model to make a Frankenstein monster of a XB-51. I hope that Russ would approve.

xb51.jpg

I've never tried to scratchbuild a whole plane before but thankfully the path was made clearer by the great folks on LSP. The Flying Flapjack that Russ build really got me thinking about this build and then Spacewolf brought out his M-20 to finally kick me in the pants.

I've made a start on the nose section. Built just like a tissue and balsa model except made of styrene. I then used Spacewolfs laminated strips of styrene to fill in where the tissue sections would normally be. Once I got the hang of it ( ie. Waiting for the glue to dry fully before trying to sand :BANGHEAD2:) it goes pretty quick. I've used too much putty and I can now see the value in Spacewolfs use of thinner strips of styrene to fill any resulting gaps. Still, it is going together and my plan is to rough out the whole of the fuselage and then go back and hack out the cockpit and wheelwells. I haven't a clue what I'll use for the canopy or wheels and I'm a little stumped for just what the cross section of the vertical tail should be. But hey, I'm having fun. :speak_cool:

roughhose.jpg

roughnosebottom.jpg

Not going to be super detailed or all that bang on for getting the shapes right. I still haven't got a great set of plans to work from but there are a lot of pictures available on the net. It should look close to a XB-51 once finished. Going to be a big sucker too! The goal is to have her finished before next years local Model Expo. It'll never win any contest but I think it will stand out in the crowd.

Thanks for looking.

Dan

Woohoo Dan! This is going to be such fun to watch. It looks like a fascinating subject too. You and Vaughn are really spoiling us in this GB. Perhaps we should do a scratch-build/vac GB some time.

Kev

OMG Dan

This is awesome ! Welcome to the build... seems I've infected someone else with the scratchbuild bug :BANGHEAD2: .. and what a subject !... Yes, you gotta let things dry.... the more glue you use the longer you gotta wait. I move from part to part letting things dry really well... sometimes up to almost a week. The pics look really good and I can't wait to see more ! GO man go ! Wooo Hoo !

:speak_cool:

Cheers

Vaughn

Dan, when you do something you do go big don't ya ?.. I went looking for info on this thing..... in 1/32 she's going to be almost 32 in. long !!! :speak_cool: ... a span of 19 in....that is no small model ! Any idea of what you might be able to scrounge for engines or are you going to scratch those too ? For wheels I think your best bet might be some of the wheels they have for R/C models, I was looking at a few pics on line and I think even the hubs might pass without too much modification and the neat thing is the tires are already the right color ! :BANGHEAD2:

Feel free to PM me, I'll be glad to help in any way I can.

Cheers

Vaughn

A little more accomplished today. Got the fuselage roughed up to the start of the inlet for the buried engine in the tail.

roughfuselage.jpg

Mr. Surfacer primer is hiding a multitude of sins that still need working out. I'm just happy the the fuselage is (mostly) straight and true. I went to the local hardware and got some tube that I think will work for the engine pods. Yet to see if that will work.

Kev-- Thanks, glad you like. I was so impressed with your entries in Model Expo that I want to have a go next year.

Vaughn-- Thanks ever so much for your kind comments and offer to help. I've cribbed a fair bit from you already and your vacuform box is to die for. :) You're not kidding about it being an the huge side, that's a Revell typhoon in the background and there is a 250mm ( 8 inch) tail section still to come!

Hubert--Thanks, I'm surprised at how much fun I'm having hacking up bits of plastic sheet. B-58? Now that's a sweet looking bird! Get cracking.

Phil, Matt -- Thanks guys for the encouragement.

A little more accomplished today. Got the fuselage roughed up to the start of the inlet for the buried engine in the tail.

Mr. Surfacer primer is hiding a multitude of sins that still need working out. I'm just happy the the fuselage is (mostly) straight and true. I went to the local hardware and got some tube that I think will work for the engine pods. Yet to see if that will work.

Vaughn-- Thanks ever so much for your kind comments and offer to help. I've cribbed a fair bit from you already and your vacuform box is to die for. :lol: You're not kidding about it being an the huge side, that's a Revell typhoon in the background and there is a 250mm ( 8 inch) tail section still to come!

I'm surprised at how much fun I'm having hacking up bits of plastic sheet. .

Wow... makes that Typhoon looks small ! Hacking up sheet is fun though and there is something very satisfying about doing something different. You can be very sure the chances of ever seeing anything else like this is pretty much nil. Models like this are one off's that are a wonder to behold. Have you given any thought to covering/ painting ? This would look amazing foiled ! It's looking great man, keep hacking plastic !!! :punk:

Cheers

Vaughn

Dan,

If u can get a hold of the vac plans in 72nd or 48th of the kit.Then u'll be a step closer as to u'er 51.There was kits made of the 51.But have forgotten who they were.Larry

Thanks guys for following along with my madness.

I managed to rough out one of the engine pods last night. I'm now waiting for the putty to dry so I can sand out the final shape. The 'tiny lathe that could' came in handy as I chucked the blank into the 3 jaw chuck and hacked away at it with sandpaper and files until I got a shape I liked. Not quite right as the larger of the two diameter tubes I used to make up the blank is a touch ie. 3mm too big. But I'm just pushing through to get something finished and not stressing about the little things.

enginepodrough.jpg

Vaughn--I'm thinking I might try and use some of the heavy aluminium tape i got when I was last in the States and see if it will polish up. I do think I'd chicken out on foiling the nose and other complex panels and use Alclad II for that. Got to get this sucker together first. :lol: (and avoid the tiny voice in my head saying that I should start over and fix things up that I know could be made much better if I just .....) Oh, and I have to get myself to the hardware store and get some goodies to make my own vac box.

Larry-- I did try and get in touch with the fellow who made a vac of the 51 but as I got no reply I jumped right in with both feet. I'm still trying to get some scale plans but building none the less.

Dan