Albatros Dva

RogerP

I am about to start a Wingnuts Albatros and want to build the aircraft "Stropp" which is hanging in the Natioanl Air and Space Museum In Washington D.C.

My question is what should the under wing color be as the instructions show a solid color but the a.c in the nuseum is mottled.

Any suggestions?

Roger, IIRC, STROPP has been fitted with replacement wings somewhere in time. (possibly while displayed in Canberra)WNWs contention is that in her wartime guise she was as she is represented by the kit. I'm just waiting for the WNW lozenge decals to be released, as I would also like to do the bird as she is at NASM.

Hi Guys,

By coincidence my DVa arrived this week. The purple and green upper colors for Stropp prompted me to get out the old Famous Aircraft of the NASM #4 "Albatros DVa". On page 54 the overpainted fabric on the left wing underside has the lozenge pattern showing through and when the fabric was removed it was in a 5-color pattern similar to that of the Canberra plane. That would be the reason they chose a five color patern to represent the original appearance. Now if WNW will release their sheets of lozenge we can have a choice on how to depict it. Other pics of Stropp show the presence of the letters RF on the fuselage meaning Republique Francaise and signifying it was government property after its capture. It went on a tour with other captured a/c and made a stop in Waco Texas where it was on display at the old Cotton Pallace. It ended up at the De Young Museum in San Francisco and that's where some of the overpainting is thought to have taken place in the '30's. It finally got the NASM in 1952 after a stop in the Chicago area.

Cheers!

Greg

It finally got the NASM in 1952 after a stop in the Chicago area.

This book:

Mikesh: 'Albatros D.Va: German Fighter of World War I' (Famous Aircraft of the NASM series, No. 4; Smithsonian Institution Press [uSA], 1980; 117 pages) -- AIRCRAFT TYPES INCLUDED: Albatros D.Va; COCKPIT DETAIL: Albatros D.Va (p. 22-25, 44-47); MULTI-VIEW DRAWINGS: Albatros D.Va (p. 104-115); GENERIC MARKING PATTERNS: Albatros D.Va (p. 100, 101)

may be of interest, though it's now out of print and a bit pricey.

Charles Metz