Fw190 D-9 "Red 18" I./Erg. KG (J) Plzeň, Czechoslovakia

nmayhew

ok, i couldn't stand the tension so just peeled off the masking tape from underneath and also the yellow id band...

there are a couple of tiny areas that need touching up and i have to shoot some RLM76 just underneath the tailplane to counter some overspray, but generally i think it looks quite good if i do say so myself!!

rolleyes.gif

IMG_8753.jpg

IMG_8751.jpg

IMG_8746.jpg

IMG_8750.jpg

IMG_8747.jpg

thx for looking

Nick

PS Kent, i sent you a mail

ok a very quick update before i go to the gym at this early hour! (well, for me at least)

i added the EagleEditions tail wheel assembly

IMG_8767.jpg

the bracing "fork" is not an easy fit and i had to chop the bits which go into the fuselage - luckily you can't see this - as the fork was too wide to fit properly

i then was very liberal with the superglue, as i was wary of the whole thing snapping under the strain!

it is a definite upgrade on the kit parts, and that's the main thing

IMG_8770.jpg

now the main landing gear - yikes!

i must admit i spent about an hour and a half just staring at the kit and of pictures like this in order to get comfortable with what the angles should be

IMG_8772.jpg

the g-factor gear i am using area loose-ish fit in to the kit slots, so i put a kit leg in to dry-fit and get a reference point - full marks to hasegawa here as my kit leg seemed to line up exactly where i wanted it to

i then superglued in a g-factor leg the other side, my (failing) Mk.I Eyeball getting lots of use here!

IMG_8771.jpg

and both done...

IMG_8774.jpg

i have yet to sort out the bracing strut, basically because i have been slack - this should have been done weeks ago - but here is a clear pic of some extra detail that i will add, including the thin wire that goes from the strut back up (somewhere?!) near the oleo join with the bulkhead

IMG_8777.jpg

more in a mo...

markings...

never used any masks before, and for late war crosses i have always cut the carrier film away and basically applied 4 decals per cross, which is tedious and difficult to line up, but the only way around COMPLETELY hiding carrier film (no matter how people argue, you can ALWAYS tell it's there)

i used Montex's Late Dora set, which i got from a2zee models (thank Alistair for excellent service!!)

the cross comes off nice and easy with fine tweezers...

IMG_8781.jpg

the masks are semi clear, so you can see all the detail underneath that you need

IMG_8783.jpg

the mask itself is reminiscent of Eduard's old canopy mask stuff , amybe a bit stickier (basically useless for masking compound curves, but great for "flatish" surfaces like wings etc)

after a couple of trial attempts, i got it where i wanted it!

IMG_8783.jpg

then masked around...

IMG_8784.jpg

gunze flat black which was NOT heavily thinned i have to admit (bad me) then given a couple of passes...

IMG_8785.jpg

and a few more...

IMG_8786.jpg

then i peeled off the masks after 20mins (i was SOOOO impatient) and...voila!

IMG_8793.jpg

the whole affair took less than 20mins actual modelling time, and the results were most pleasing

definitely using this method on all future single colour crosses, and when i become more confident i will have a stab at compound crosses and (says in hushed tones ) even RAF roundels!

cheers for looking

nick

i must admit i spent about an hour and a half just staring at the kit and of pictures like this in order to get comfortable with what the angles should be

IMG_8772.jpg

i have yet to sort out the bracing strut, basically because i have been slack - this should have been done weeks ago - but here is a clear pic of some extra detail that i will add, including the thin wire that goes from the strut back up (somewhere?!) near the oleo join with the bulkhead

IMG_8777.jpg

more in a mo...

Nick forgive me for saying but doesn't the diagram you have shown explain where the wire goes? It would appear to pivot just inboard of the MLG leg and run across the wheelbay to a point inboard. If I am stating the bleeding obvious let me know!! :D

But please keep the updates coming!

Regards

Nice to see you got the "angle of the dangle" right on your gear legs Nick.

Lovely work with those masks.

Like you I wasn't a fan until recently but on flat or slightly curved surfaces they are great.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Phil :clap2:

Nick forgive me for saying but doesn't the diagram you have shown explain where the wire goes? It would appear to pivot just inboard of the MLG leg and run across the wheelbay to a point inboard. If I am stating the bleeding obvious let me know!! :D

But please keep the updates coming!

Regards

hi Kent

well, it kind of shows you but i wanted to ee it, if you see what i mean

more importantly, do you know if this wire was on the other leg as well?

the pics i have of the captured Gustav do not show the port oleo in the same setting ie it is clearly indoors and has presumably been fiddled with, although why they whould take the wire off is beyond me

and of course every other pic i have are unclear

help please gentlemen!!

@PhilB

he he

dangling just fine thank you!

:)

@Brian

thanks for the kind words

if i were you, i would get stuck in!

some more montex action this morning,,,

same procedure as before

IMG_8794.jpg

IMG_8796.jpg

IMG_8797.jpg

this really was as simple as it looks

i was slightly concerned over the mask bordering the hinge line of the access panel, but luckily it is relatively shallow; i also "pinched" the mask with some fine tweezers to deform the mask a bit around the hinge

upper wing balkenkreuz now...note how the mask really rides up over the aileron hinge -i had to cut it either side and hold it down with masking tape

IMG_8798.jpg

IMG_8799.jpg

thought about priming first but by then had white paint in the cup, so away i went!

IMG_8801.jpg

the results in next post...

first of , i will try to recycle the masks - if they are no good well, so be it, but might as well try

IMG_8803.jpg

fuselage was peeled first...

IMG_8802.jpg

note there was no bleed whatsoever around the hinge - very pleased about that!

and the only bit i was a bit apprehensive about - had i sprayed too little / too much white??

IMG_8827.jpg

overall effect is waaaay better than decals i have to admit

IMG_8830.jpg

that's it for now

cheers

Nick

hi Kent

well, it kind of shows you but i wanted to ee it, if you see what i mean

more importantly, do you know if this wire was on the other leg as well?

the pics i have of the captured Gustav do not show the port oleo in the same setting ie it is clearly indoors and has presumably been fiddled with, although why they whould take the wire off is beyond me

and of course every other pic i have are unclear

help please gentlemen!!

Mate, I honestly have no idea if the port side is the same. I can only assume at this time :unsure: (and that can be dangerous) that it would be so. I will have a look and see if I can confirm or deny it from Jerry's books. I know what you mean about getting it right and I fully concur, just sometimes, and this is purely a personal observation, sometimes the illusion is sufficient to enable the mind to see what we intend to impart. I have Montex masks sitting there as well and have held off using them but you make it look so easy :bow: I may have to take a leap of faith!

John, Keith and Baron, thank you all for the encouragement!

Kent, thanks for that -it would be good to get confirmation one way or another

as to my masking, i made it look easy because IT WAS easy - single colour, single mask is literally child's play with GOOD PAINTS

i cannot speak highly enough of gunze's paints

anyways...i am about to ask around for a Montex tutorial (so you can edit away your bowing smiley!! :) ) as i am still unsure as to the best way to do a typical 2 colour balkenkreuz

answers on a postcard please...

well not really but you know what i mean! beer.gif