Revell 1/32 F4U Corsair

Shawn M

Derek, sounds like your employer has blocked Flikr or Photobucket (whereever they are hosted), so you can't see the photos at work, you just get red X's. Photos can suck up a lot of bandwidth, so employers sometimes block photo sharing sites to reduce their bandwidth.

Cheers,

Doug

Derek, sounds like your employer has blocked Flikr or Photobucket (whereever they are hosted), so you can't see the photos at work, you just get red X's. Photos can suck up a lot of bandwidth, so employers sometimes block photo sharing sites to reduce their bandwidth.

Cheers,

Doug

Sounds about right Doug :evil_laugh:

Derek

Cheers,

Doug

Then again, it could be about that whole thing called being at work.......where one is expected to be working and not looking at modeling forums! :D :rofl: :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist :evil_laugh:

Dave

Thanks kev!

Im excited to get this one finished up. Painting will be a joy!

FYI I dont use an airbrush, Im a brush painter and rattle can guy :evil_laugh:

I'm diggin' the updates as I have one of these kits coming......been itching to build one for a while now.

Brush painter by choice or circumstance?

If it's the latter, I might have an extra airbrush that I'll never use (have to find it if I still have it)..........If I do have it, it's yours if you want it.

Let me know either way.

Dave

Then again, it could be about that whole thing called being at work.......where one is expected to be working and not looking at modeling forums! :D :D :D

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

Dave

Sheesh, now he tells me! :lol: :evil_laugh: :D :rofl:

Derek

Dave,

Brush painter by choice really, its how I learned.

I would like to try an airbrush for sure, I can see where it would be WAY quicker.

I've learned to achieve "most" of the effects I want through rattle cans, masking, brush painting, washes and pastels.

If you happen to have an unloved Airbrush needed a home, I'd be very interested.

If you have one of these kits coming, I'd be more then happy to share my reference links I've used to build this bird. Let me know and I'll make a post.

Some key points of fitment I've found. The canopy, spend some time test fitting and shaping here, I got lucky since Im covering it. It looks like the upper inner wings will be leaving a gap at the fuse. Dont know how bad yet but some styrene will be used.

My cowl was oblong from being squished in the box for so many years.

If you're going the after market route, get landing gear, gear bays and if you're dropping the flaps...buy them.

If you're going the route I am, stock up on styrene and I hope you have a spares box thats well stocked.

I've used solder, old credit cards, brass, a button and so on.

Thanks Guys!

I do like these kits as they are GREAT skill builders. Each one is its own challenge with great scratch building opportunities.

Im glad I enjoy them too as I still have the same vintage Stuka and BF-110 to build/finish.

I reaaaally like the old Hasegawa Zeros in 1/32 as well. I had one as a kid, built one again a few years back (wife killed it with christmas lights) and now she bought me a replacement.

I was thinking a few days ago, I haven't built a "new" kit since I started building again in 03.

Currently Im trying to figure out how Im going to detail the exposed wing ribs with their flap and folding mechanisms. The kit parts are fanciful at best but Im leery to lob them off entirely.

I'd love to hear some advice from those of you (ahem Ernie) as to what you did here.

Ok, so I compromised between accuracy and ease of build.

Here you can see the "trough" that is the wing roots.

4899463499_79f9c23f7c_z.jpg

close up of the "detail free zone", mid you this is after I removed the hold down brackets and the pivot bar.

4900055452_8e9726119f_z.jpg

Blank faced, half ribs..

4899464021_6ac401ce81_z.jpg

4900055624_3d045f5ec8_z.jpg

added details, made a false half rib, filled in voids, drilled holes and tried to make the wing pivot look something like a shape based in reality.

4900056574_4a9599b3b7_z.jpg

4899464607_0bd13851e4_z.jpg

4900056198_00ee71e3fe_z.jpg

4900055966_b4a11cb81d_z.jpg

Please remember this is all still roughed in.

Neo,

When I add the flap actuator rods Im going to use brass, which should stiffen it all up...I hope. Im also using the supplied (yet modified) support struts.

Thanks Dan, it will shape up a lot when I clean it up and add more structure/details.

Shawn. Watching your efforts is almost as much fun as doing it myself.

I have done the same to this kit a few times over the years[probably my favorite kit ever]

Yours is looking great!! Cheers Ernie :rolleyes:

Shawn,of the many of these kits I have detailed I dont think I ever did the wing fold option.

Now that I see how nicely you are doing it I hope you dont mind if I copy your effort.

I have done the folded wing on a hellcat,also following the build of another great modeller on our site.

I am sure you guys don't mind me "borrowing" your techniques.....

Cheers Ernie ...... :lol: