Honing a scribing tool?

cipher74

Hey all

Anyone here know the best way to hone a scribing tool? Both of mine are in need of some TLC and I can't afford to take them to a shop to have them done. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Doug

Hey all

Anyone here know the best way to hone a scribing tool? Both of mine are in need of some TLC and I can't afford to take them to a shop to have them done. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Doug

It would help to know what type of tool your using?

It would help to know what type of tool your using?

ron, as requested...

The top tool is a Squadron product. This one is just plowing the plastic, leaving ridges on either side of the panel lines.

The bottom one is a tool I ordered from Micro Mark. It worked great for several years with no problems. One end just needs to be honed while the other end needs to be reshaped as it's a little too wide.

002.jpg

Hey Doug, my two cents on this would be to get some 500 grit wet dry sandpaper and a tape it to a sheet of glass. I have a sheet from an old picture frame taped next to my cutting board for working with pe.

Add a little water to the paper and hold the tool at the angle that matches the angle of the blade. Lightly pull the tool in straight strokes direction of travel for the scriber. This will sharpen that edge a bit. You could then put a polish on it with some finer paper.

I sharpen a LOT of chisels for my woodworking and have a large collection of water and oilstones but sometimes good old sandpaper works fine. If you dont have a piece of glass, a smooth section of concrete will work. You just need it to be level.

Good luck.

Hi,

Matt's idea will work for the squadron tool for sure. Alternatively one of those two grit (coarse/fine) knife sharpening stones will definately work as well using a little sharpening oil. You might be able to make the sharpening stone work on the bottom one as well but it will be difficult. I am afraid I don't have a great solution for the bottom one.

Or..............

IMHO, just put them both aside and grab yourself a hand held twist drill with openings at each end and get some varying sizes of large - small sewing needles. Still works the best out of any of the 5 or 6 diff types of scribe-rs I have.

Brian