Eduard Bf109E1, Jagdgruppe 88 "Legion Condor"

DougN

Here is my rendition of a Legion Condor Messerschmitt Bf109E1 using the Eduard 1/32 kit. This is the aircraft of Uffz. Heinrich Windemuth, who was the last member of Jadggruppe88 KIA in Spain. He was shot down on February 6th, 1939 while attacking a Republican airfield at Villajuiga, Spain.

Model-wise, this kit really did not want to get finished as it fought me all the way! I experienced some of the fit issues others have mentioned, most notably around the cowling area:

Eduard109E1052.jpg

This photo shows the gap and the tabs I added to spread the cowl out to fit. I ended up chopping my engine up and putting in the front bit where it is visible beneath the cowling vents, and the back bit where it *might* be visible from the gun cooling slots.

I also ended up rescribing the slats in the closed position after I determined the markings on the wing would not fit properly otherwise. Based on measurements, I moved the line forward 2mm:

mdl033e.jpg

All the markings on the model are painted, and I used Montex's Spanish Civil War mask set. Unfortunately, I had a lot of issues with the paint peeling off when I took off the Tamiya masking tape (wierd, I know) when I masked the model to paint the black on the fuselage and wingwalk area, as well as when using theMontex masks. Another issue was the fact that Montex's mask for the "6" (which I also used to paint the "9") is not the correct shape and is significantly too short on the tail part. of course I noticed this after I painted them on, so I had to go back and correct them after the fact. I did not weather the model very much at all, as it was still a new aircraft when it was shot down, as can be seen by the very clean condition of the wreckage.

With all the conflicting information out there today regarding the colors of Legion Condor Messerschmitts, it did take me some time to decide what colors to use on my model. After researching extensively, and looking at as many high-quality photographs as possible in references like the Schiffer Legion Condor book and Merrick's Luftwaffe Camouflage and Markings, as well as photos posted on model forums during some discussions on the RLM02 Grey Green vs RLM63 Grey Green vs RLM62 Bright Green color scheme, it was still difficult to decide.

In the end, while it was indeed a tough call, I decided to go with Merrick's (and ClassicColours Luftwaffe Colours Volume 1, section 2) color interpretation of RLM62 Bright Green over RLM 65 Blue Grey. I had also read that the black and white film used by the Germans in Spain had a tendency to filter the Green out, and this would support my findings in that the topside color of the high-quality photos I looked at was "too rich" in color and depth (if that makes any sense) in my opinion to by RLM02 or RLM63 Grey Green in the black and white photos. This also compares favorably when looking at aircraft with known, standard 5 color schemes (like Ju52's and bombers) where the 109 fuselage color is the closest to the second lightest color on the 4 color scheme, which would have been RLM62 Bright Green. Also, the contrast between the RLM65 undersides and upper surface colors is too great in my opinion to have been RLM02/RLM63. I ended up using Mr. Color's RLM62 and RLM65, as these matched the color chips I have in the Merrick books.

I know not everyone will agree with my choice of colors, and that is fine, as I am pleased with the way it looks. Hopefully someday we will find out what the real color was beyond a doubt! After all that, here are photos of the finished model:

DSCN5497.jpg

DSCN5485.jpg

DSCN5511a.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

DSCN5499a.jpg

DSCN5501a.jpg

DSCN5508a.jpg

Cheers,

Doug

Beautiful job Doug! Thanks for explaining your colour choices too. If it were my build, I would've just painted it in '02 and left it at that, so I appreciate your detailed explanation as to why you didn't. Most informative!

Kev

Well done....I did one in Spanish markings also. I understand your choice of color, although I decided to go with RLM02 with the understanding that RLM62 is the exterior version of RLM02 and the same shade. Personal choice and I liked the way it looked, but it looks good the way you did it.

I had issues with the wing markings also....I wasn't sure if it was painted underneath the slat.

I didn't have any fit issues that a lot of folks have complained about, even around the cowling and I've built 2.

Looks good...very cool to see another in Spanish markings. Guess I'm not the only insane one.

C

Looks good...very cool to see another in Spanish markings. Guess I'm not the only insane one.

No, you're not Chris. I have a set of Spanish stickers that I'm going to apply to a Matchbox Emil. So I reckon that trumps you in the insanity stakes!

Kev

Hey, that there's a right nice early Messerschnitzell. Reminiscent of the old Dragon 190's with the fuselage braces to separate the wing roots.... Ahh, a trip down bad memory lane. Top notch job Doug! I love those aerodynamic insulators on the antenna. Either you're totally crazy and scratched em or they're availble somewhere....which is it?

Tim

Excellent work Doug!

Is the slat actually too big or was this to better accommodate the wing markings?

Barry

Unfortunately, the slat is too deep, if not corrected, wing insignia will end up over the slat itself (as happened to Nick on his build) which is incorrect.

Well done....I did one in Spanish markings also. I understand your choice of color, although I decided to go with RLM02 with the understanding that RLM62 is the exterior version of RLM02 and the same shade. Personal choice and I liked the way it looked, but it looks good the way you did it.C

Thanks! I liked the look of yours as well! For future records, RLM 63 is the color you are thinking of being the same as RLM 02 :speak_cool:

Hey, that there's a right nice early Messerschnitzell. Reminiscent of the old Dragon 190's with the fuselage braces to separate the wing roots.... Ahh, a trip down bad memory lane. Top notch job Doug! I love those aerodynamic insulators on the antenna. Either you're totally crazy and scratched em or they're availble somewhere....which is it?

Tim

Thanks Tim :speak_cool: I'll have to plead guilty to the totally crazy part :ninja: It took me about 2 hours to make those little cones! I am still trying to figure out an easier way to do them.

Cheers,

Doug