New Model Room

Out2gtcha

Well, I now have a completely devoted space (approx 12'x15' or so...just guessing as I having officially measured it yet) with an actual door that closes and locks, a large set of sliding glass doors, to let some natural light in, and a lot of overall room to set up and do my modeling in.

I even have enough wall space to move my completed shelving and add more to display completed models, along with an exhaust exit to outside air, for my paint booth.

Im not quite all moved in yet and I am going to finish my current project before really tearing into it and making myself something more permanent and something I can be proud of that not only will make it easy to get at everything I need but ALSO incorporate some cool stuff that can only come with having a larger space to model in.

Im hopefully going to accomplish that here. :D

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha

Brian

I've thought about this somewhat.

1) A sink with hot and cold water and counter space for all the washing jobs we have. Hate having to use the kitchen (as does my wife)

2) Air Conditioning

3) A flat screen TV/Monitor hooked up to both a computer and digital television.

4) A large cork board or bulletin board for pinning up plans or kit instructions

5) Book shleves for storing all the refs we collect, but as well one special shelf, cabinet or drawer to hold all the ref material of my current project in one place

6) Music/radio system

7) Seperate storage cabinet for building supplies

8) As you have indicated, an integrated spray booth with exterior exhaust system

9) A seperate stowage area for the airbrush/compressor etc

Im sure I can add to the list if I give it more thought

Dave/Ironman1945

Good Ideas Dave................I too have thought about the TV Idea as well as rigging up an integrated desktop PC for easy access to documentation as well as a network link to my other PC upstairs to pull documentation off of it as well.

Ive got a good air cond system (the room is in the basement which is kept pretty cool) and have some suitable portable heaters for winter as well.

I was also thinking about some sort of rack system AKA sorta like maybe a "spice rack" looking thing that maybe had clear strips to hold jars of paint so I could have all of them aligned vertically on the wall behind where I sit with easy access to them and to NOT have them all together on the table having to pick them up 1 by 1 to see what it actually is...

Something like this only with clear strips or something similar instead of the wooden cross pieces, to let the color of the paint in the jar show through. Also preferably without all the cutesy decorative writing and the like..... :speak_cool: :lol:

spice%20rack.jpg

Also, maybe a shelf or 2 in that unit that was wider.........for spray bottles as well. :blink: Just thinking out loud here....

Brian

Brian

I've thought about this somewhat.

1) A sink with hot and cold water and counter space for all the washing jobs we have. Hate having to use the kitchen (as does my wife)

2) Air Conditioning

3) A flat screen TV/Monitor hooked up to both a computer and digital television.

4) A large cork board or bulletin board for pinning up plans or kit instructions

5) Book shleves for storing all the refs we collect, but as well one special shelf, cabinet or drawer to hold all the ref material of my current project in one place

6) Music/radio system

7) Seperate storage cabinet for building supplies

8) As you have indicated, an integrated spray booth with exterior exhaust system

9) A seperate stowage area for the airbrush/compressor etc

Im sure I can add to the list if I give it more thought

Dave/Ironman1945

Brian,

That's about perfect but I would add placing your worktop separate from the spray booth and if you can

have your worktop in front of a window with as much natural light as you can get.

You can also stare out of the window for inspiration.

Also a nice small fridge to keep some cold one's in!!!! (the excuse would be for your milliput and CA) :closedeyes:

Microwave oven to heat up pizzas etc.

Coffee machine.

Big lock on the door!!!!

The spice rack is a nice idea but I think you should keep it just the way it is, its got a kind of charm.

You can also keep some spices/herbs in it for your pizza.

Phil

Dont forget shelves...lots of shelves. That way you can display your builds there and out of harms way. Just my .02 worth......Harv :closedeyes:

Ur 100% right Harv.............

I really would like to keep all my hard work out of harms (and teenage girls) way. I do have quite a bit of wall space that can be devoted to that very purpose. Actually I was even thinking about getting some kind of corner shelving to display VERY large single LSP models like my future 1/32 scale B-25 from wingscale..... mmmmmmmmmm ^_^

Brian,

That's about perfect but I would add placing your worktop separate from the spray booth and if you can

have your worktop in front of a window with as much natural light as you can get.

You can also stare out of the window for inspiration.

Also a nice small fridge to keep some cold one's in!!!! (the excuse would be for your milliput and CA) :closedeyes:

Microwave oven to heat up pizzas etc.

Coffee machine.

Big lock on the door!!!!

The spice rack is a nice idea but I think you should keep it just the way it is, its got a kind of charm.

You can also keep some spices/herbs in it for your pizza.

Phil

Sweeet......never thought about a fridge! Man I might NEVER have to leave that room!

As far as the the spray booth goes, a while back I bought a Artograph 1530 Spray Booth

31YtH7qQAnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It has a really awesome 3 stage carbon filter system with 2 GIANT fans in the base that really does force 95% or more of the particulate matter, and almost ALL of the smell out through the 2 clothes dryer style vents (which are reversible from side to side which is very handy) on the side, which I have already mapped out a route up over my brick foundation and out the fascia of the basement wall via a screen covered 1 way duct and some dryer vent tubing from the local home repair store.

This is the kinda stuff I need though.......... :D

Brian

Plenty of electrical outlets for lights and such, file cabinet, phone, bar magnet for hanging small tools, music stand or some other method to hold reference books for easy viewing, plastic parts drawers/storage, glass jars for thinners, brushes, files, etc., small piece of plywood w/liquid cement bottle epoxied to it, (to avoid tip overs).

DAMN. How the HELL would I EVER get any modeling done?!? I wouldn't. And that would be Ok. I still wouldn't be leaving that room......... :lol:

Im in the process of thinking up a good way to flood the room with light..... :unsure:

Brian

Great topic!

I'm in a bit of a pickle right now but there is a silver lining. My posting up in Winnipeg will be in an apartment, while my wife and son stay 2 hours away in Shilo. Under her request, we're taking a split posting because of a number of (very good) reasons. So... for the next 3 years its a dream, as I wont have the space to do this, nor the ability to in an apartment. But once we move out to an operational squadron (East coast, likely (hopefully) Greenwood), this is what I will be setting up (and thus, the silver lining).

The room doesn't have to be too big, but at least 8 x 16. The bench would be an 'L' shape completely running two walls, about 36 inches off the ground, and between 24-36 inches wide. I would like to have the bench top white. At the shorter span of the bench, a 48 inch tall peg board running the length of that, to hang any (most) of the tools, and other items. Being able to hang the paint bottle, and spray can racks from this would also be nice.

Along the longer wall would be shelves, for reference books, etc. On this longer bench the computer screen would also be there, on a swivel mount (mounted from above). Seeing how useful a computer/internet is to have at my finger tips for reference information, I want to have it readily available, yet not actually sitting on the bench and being in the way.

Lights, lots of lights. Even at the small computer desk I had while on course, I hung no fewer than 5 lamps. Can't stress that enough.

On the opposite wall/corner to the bench I want to have a setup for a paint booth. Being limited to painting on nice, calm, sunny days has really frustrated me many a time. That, and given that I'll be working with aircraft the size of the 1/24 Mossie, I want it large enough to allow free movement of both the model, and my painting arm (so ya, that'll be a decent size on it's own.

And last but not least, the importance of being able to vacume-form parts is also becoming very evident, so looking at the need for something to heat the plastic, and a vacume form machine large enough to make something down the road like the wing half of an He-111, or the booms of a P-61 is very impractical in a setup like this, unless it's in a basement. So, as far as I'm concerned with this, a large vacume former and an old oven in the basement by itself is not too grand of an issue.

Should I be lucky enough to find a house down East with an unfinished basement, I've already been given the green light (a number of times by the 'boss') that the basement is mine and I can do with it as I please... which would be GREAT!

Big scales, need big workspaces it seems... or at least that's what I'm telling myself. Someday gents... someday...

Cheers!

Mark.

Lighting. Definitely lighting. If the opportunity is there, get some Solatubes to direct natural sunlight down to above the bench. They're incredible. And those big, rectangular halogen lights are nice too. Just the right spectrum of light, and a lot of it. They get hot though. I like them better than flourescents.

The aforementioned 'fridge is required equipment, as is a small convection/micro/toaster oven. The other items that every shop needs are a wall-mount urinal and a hot-air hand dryer like the gas stations have.

The best possibility of all would be to have a scantily-clad wife or girlfriend there to offer lots of oohs and ahhhs at every brilliant insight, solution found, genius moment, awe-inspiring examples of craftsmanship, etc., but I know I'm reaching with that..... :please:

Oh Man! I love hearing about workshops. There are some great ideas here, especially Edgar's muse. I have tried to incorporate as many of the things I wanted into my shop as possible. No tv, I just don't like much of what's on. I do have my music and other goodies though.

I had to have a unique entrance.

11011017.jpg

I also had to have some storage and some space for my reference materials. That is pretty much the extent of my meager "stash" on the left. Lots of natural light too.

11011009.jpg

Had to have a big enough work area with a table that was high enough off the ground to avoid marauding dogs. The rollaway has all my styrene and tools as well as a safe place for my canopies. I don't have a tiny compressor, well that one is pretty small. It serves double duty in the shop. At the bottom of the rollaway is what's left of my 48th stash and a lone Tamiya 32nd Spit... someday...

11011008.jpg

The main difficulty is dust. I share my modeling with my furniture shop. Dust. Dust. Dust. Cabinet on the left is waiting for client pickup. In case you can't tell by now, clutter seems to be my friend.

11011007.jpg

Other works in progress...

11011010.jpg

Far from perfect but it is my place to hang out and have fun. Oh ya, there is a mini fridge stocked with home made beers and Mexican Coca Cola. Mmmmmmm, real sugar....