New Model Room

Out2gtcha

Thanks guys!

Yes Hubert, I thought about that but none of the inspectors were even around to critique my work! I think that pile of bacon I left by their office door must have worked....... :lol:

Yeah Doug, Im sure it WONT be so nice and tidy, most likely as soon as I start something.............which is now...............its already getting messy! Which I guess in our hobby is expected.....Im sure Ill "reset" after every build like I usually do to tidy up before starting the next build.

Cheers,

Brian

Yes master................and now I can! (and WILL!)

Finished the WHOLE room off last night.....

I picked up two new magnifying lamps (didnt really have the moolah for them but figured id come this far why put the 2 POS lamps I had back in).

MR_158.jpg

Was all happy until................uH oH!

MR_159.jpg

Didnt think about that in my grand scheme of things. No room to clamp on the lamps!

Well, I came up with a solution. I grabbed 4 VERY stout L brackets used to brace housing construction and cut two pieces of 2 x 4 to go in between them.

MR_160.jpg

Then I bolted them securely to the bench with deep lag bolts and presto! Lamp mounts!

I made sure when mounting them that their movement arcs overlapped just a bit, and that they covered the entirety of the main bench area.

MR_164.jpg

MR_161.jpg

Next up, I installed the lamps themselves (very nice Dick Blick units I must say) and ran the necessary power for them both.

MR_165.jpg

Starting to feel like my "cave away from home" now......... :lol:

MORE...............

Brian,

Youve done a marvelous job here...and double magnifiers...tell me...how many eyes do you have? :lol:

nice job...

Geoff

Brian,

Youve done a marvelous job here...and double magnifiers...tell me...how many eyes do you have? :lol:

nice job...

Geoff

Thanks Geoff!

Yeah surprisingly enough, quite handy with the amount of bench surface area I ended up with. I have ended up using one side of the bench for sub-assembly, and detailing, and the other side for foiling, detail painting and gluing.

Brian

Yeah, I've found that no matter how much space I have to start, I always end up working in a 12" x 12" spot in the end?

My exact problem!! My workspace is actually 2ft x4ft on one side, 4ftx6ft on the other that I can access from either side, and yet I am working in a 12in x 12in space no matter how hard I try to organize everything.

FYI Brian, another solution for the lights coukd have been, and is still possible if the brackets get in the way, is to drill a hole in the structural member at the edge, assuming you are using a 2x4 for that member. The hole should be large enough in diameter to insert a piece of metal tubing to fit the lamp post in. If you recessed it, you could also make a plug to have a flush counter once the lamps were removed.

Looking good, though!

Thanks Ray!

I thought about the mounts getting in the way and also toyed with the idea of drilling the hole in the bench and then sleaving it for re-inforcement, but decided it was a bit too much work, and with the amount or elbow room I have ahead of the main bench, the admittedly clunky brackets don't really get in the way.

I did however discover an unintended GOOD consequence of mounting them as I did...........

With both the lamps on those brackets, it keeps their swivel movement/travel out of the way of any of the bench surface, and I can put "things" (AKA kit box, storage or whatever) almost right up to the back edge of the workbench, without interfering with the movement arc of the lights, nor take up any room with the lamp base itself that could be utilized for its intended purpose.

HA! the room hasnt even been done a full 7 day week and its already looking like a Tornado of kit debris and LSP making tools came through........ :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha