New Model Room

Out2gtcha

Oh ya, there is a mini fridge stocked with home made beers and Mexican Coca Cola. Mmmmmmm, real sugar....

Sweet! :closedeyes: Love the ambience and the size of that shop! In my garage it's not only sawdust but paint overspray, car fumes, oh and I'm taking it all apart to get the house ready to sell....... Whatever and wherever I have a new place will have a dedicated workshop, with some of the details I described earlier..... :evil_laugh:

OK Brian;

Someone has to do it, I'll bite....

What would you use the oven mitts for? :evil_laugh:

-Al

So I can can move Edgar's Muse around the model room when I have to re situate her when I need to get more space in a certain area.........Dont want to burn myself handling her now! :lol:

GREAT Ideas abound here fellas........Awesome room Matt! Gotta say, here in NE I would freeze me BUTT off having a workshop in my garage, cause it gets colder than.............something thats really cold.....well that was lame, but my brain is not engaged yet.........was up late getting primer on Dixie Boy.

Working on my current project in the new room "temporarily" means I have all my paints in a box, I cant find crap.........SUCK. Once im done with DB, ill start implementing my master plan :evil_laugh:

Lets see............on the checklist SO FAR........

- Mini fridge

- spice racks

- Hot muse

- Stereo

- Computer

- Shelving

- LIGHTING

- LIGHTING

- LIGHTING

So far............prolly more to come...

Cheers,

Brian

Carol002.jpg

I'd have difficulty concentrating, but who cares?

Edgar

Sheesh...that carpet was made to make small bits and photoetch disappear forever.

Ummm,

You wouldn't happen to have this photo in hires?? Please?

I think I just found my new desktop.

• 3 months later...

Ok, so in good conscious I cannot move on to my next project (Whatever that may be....MDC Arado Ar234...........RAAF P-40E.....not sure yet) with a very good sized new model room I have had myself constructed, that is at this moment not only uncompleted, but also forcing me to continue to work off of dodgy card tables. ;)

So...............here we go. A project to make my future projects in.

My house has a fully finished basement, all be it the last time it was touched was 1976 :rolleyes:, with older paint and window furnishings, and approx 12" x 12" square tile floor. The whole room is 12' x 13'.

This basement was a whole room extending pretty much around the whole footprint/foundation of my house with the exception of two walls blocking off a laundry room.

Before the GF and her daughter moved in, I had a contracting guy come in and build me a dividing wall with a door, that would in fact cut the basement in half, making 1/2 of the existing basement my new modeling room.

Here is where Im starting.

You can see here the new wall and door put in here on the east side of the new model room. The part of the ceiling hanging lower that the sections in the foreground, is for duct work running through the room.

MR_3.jpg

Here is the adjoining north wall

MR_1.jpg

And here is the opposite side, west facing wall that has a set of sliding glass doors in it, covered in 1976 era "harvest orange" curtains (YUCK!). In the corner is my spray booth that in the new set up, will have vent piping going up the wall, and out the Soffit.

MR_4.jpg

MR_2.jpg

The South facing wall (no pics of it here) is atm bare, and I will leave it open as I will be adding a wall mounted TV there and at some point in the future a stereo system.

You can see here, next to the newly constructed wall, I will be putting one side of the new "L" shaped work bench in, consisting of two standard 6'8" hollow core doors in the previously mentioned L shape. The east side of the L will have a notch cut in it for the far corner that has a funky section sticking out in it you can see here at the back wall. I have a card table supporting this in what will be its eventual final position.

MR_5.jpg

In this open area where you can see the card table exposed, Is where the 2nd hollow core door will be added. First I am going to lag bolt a 2x4 brace to the east wall to support the whole east section of the L

In this pic I have illustrated where the other door will be placed for the East L shape in blue, and you can also see how the 2x4 wall brace will be mounted for support.

MR_6.jpg

Here you can see how the other section of the L shaped work bench will look, with 2x4 braced legs, as well as some 1x4 lower bracing in the end (no pictured)

When the bench is assembled, I have 2 giant sheets of smooth laminate covering that is very resistant to lacquer, and solvents that will cover both 6'8" doors and make the completed bench.

MR_7.jpg

In this pic you can see how eventually the same 2x4 bracing bolted to the wall studs will support a 3/4" ply board table in the corner for my paint booth. I will support the open corner with a 2x4 leg, and then have room to run 2 dryer ducts up the wall and out the soffit outside, covered by a grill and 1 way flap

MR_8.jpg

I have picked up some 2x4s so I can cut and bolt the wall braces to the wall before the room paint goes on.

Even prior to the paint going on I need to call in a professional for 1 step; the most expensive step in this project...THE LIGHTING. Ive done my homework and have an I idea of what I want but need to call the electrician first. Ill put up some pics of the next step............

Cheers,

Brian

That has got a lot of potential mate!

I would suggest a couple of things.

I don't know if you have the same thing where you are but instead of mounting your bench on plain legs I would consider some cheap, flat-pack kitchen units.

In the UK most of the DIY stores sell various carcasses of different styles.

A couple of the floor mounted drawer units would support your bench, space them to leave room for you to "get under da bench" and you would have storage drawers alongside you as you work.

You would have to put a back on them out of cheap board but you would be optimising your space a bit better.

Make sure you can have a Pc operating in there and make the most of the natural light.

Think you should keep the curtains as apparently 70' retro chique is in at the moment! :speak_cool:

Don't go overboard with the lights. You can reach a point where just putting more and more lights in won't make much difference.

Plan the type of lights and positioning carefully.

Phil

Plan the type of lights and positioning carefully.

You got that one right!!!

I have a friend whos husband is an electrician and she let me talk to him for a bit. Basically the "new standard" in the US is T8 (smaller diameter daylight florescent bulbs) and the older larger diameter bulbs (T12s) are being phased out.

I have a lead on 3, 4 bulb T8 fixtures going over the main L shape section of the bench, all perpendicular to it to get more light behind the bench and on the wall, and another single 4 bulb T8 fixture going over the other L section of the bench against the East wall parellel with it, as that will be the section that also houses that PC you mentioned Phil. :speak_cool:

These new standard T8 fixtures are much more efficiant, and all come with electronic ballasts that have 0 hum and do not really go out very often. The T8 bulbs are also very cheap here in the US, running from a 1.00 to a few dollars.

The light emitted by the 4 bulb T8 fixtures is quite astounding with the day-light bulbs in. I also will be putting another 2 bulb T8 fixture hanging in the corner over the paint booth.

I have a desk section that will go on the east L section at the end near the wall that will house the PC and hopefully limit the amount of particulate getting into it via static electricity and what not.

I definitely considered an Idea very much like what you were talking about Phil; putting kitchen type units for support, but the 2x4 legs offer a bit more space for maneuvering my chair under the bench. I will also be putting some storage in the form of stack-able type drawers, and a couple bits N bobs type miniature drawer holders there too. I just want to make sure I have the most room free possible not only in the front to move my chair side to side , but back and forth as well (behind the chair will be wall mounted styrene holder and a paint storage) before I put the under-bench storage in.

Brian

Hmmm...... Think I woke up next to something like that once in my younger days.

Made her some breakfast and she hopped off back to the pond where she lived muttering about being unfaithful to her boyfriend called Brian..................

Would you care to comment?

Hmmm...... Think I woke up next to something like that once in my younger days.

Made her some breakfast and she hopped off back to the pond where she lived muttering about being unfaithful to her boyfriend called Brian..................

Would you care to comment?

I WISH!

Hell Id take her even after a trip across (or into) the pond! :lol: :lol:

Brian

Now that's a good one! even made the wife laugh! :lol:

Let's get this right Ron.....you allowed a WOMAN to view our manly chats!!!!???

IS NOTHING SACRED ANY MORE?????!!!! :o :lol:

Darn it, I was going to put up an even better picture (tasteful of course).

I'll have to behave myself again now!

• 3 weeks later...

Back init......

This is not going to be a display room, but a builders paradise. With that being said, and the eventual final vision of what I want still swimming about in my head.........Mike the friendly electrician was here.........

And I have SEEN THE LIGHT!

Before Mike:

MR_3.jpg

MR_0.jpg

MR_2.jpg

After Mike:

MR_14.jpg

MR_15.jpg

MR_11.jpg

Because of the step-down here which is solid packed with vents for the central air, he had to run external conduit that I will likely paint ceiling white.

MR_13.jpg

I just have boxes supporting the paint-booth at the moment representing the eventual height at which the shelf holding it will reside.

None of the piping that will eventually be on the opposite side it is here, exists at the moment. I will assemble, mark and cut those later.

MR_12.jpg

Next up, will mark where the supporting 2 x 4s will go, and cut, then anchor them with lag bolts. I will not be securing these all the way, as I will just need to tell where to drill the pilot holes for the lag bolts. Ill need to clear all of the crap out of the room, tear down the 60's era curtains and coverings that remain, scour the room clean, then I will prime and paint.

Picked up some Bahr paint and have settled on "Serene Sky" for the main color of the room (a very clear lighter sky blue) and "Silver Sky" for the trim (White with a touch of silver in it)

After that, I need to purchase some insulated curtains for the sliding glass door set. It will add a touch extra insulation to keep the room warm this winter and cool next spring summer.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS GENTS!

Thanks for peekin in on this little venture.......

Brian