Vac Canopies

DaveJ

Hi guys,

I've been slogging along on my A-7E build for a long time now and, as much as I've tried to avoid it, the time is approaching for me to tackle the canopy. I'm using the Zacto conversion and the canopy is in one piece on a sheet so it needs to be cut free. Having never done this before and really not wanting to stuff it up I come to you asking: are there any tips you can offer me before I begin? What is the best tool to use to cut it, etc?

TIA!

Fill it with blu-tac (don't know if you have this in the states? it's putty for sticking posters to walls) to make it a bit more sturdy before cutting it. Use a very sharp knife and err on the side of leaving too much on than taking too much off! You can sand it off flush and use polishing cloths like micromesh to bring it back up to a shine

Zacto's canopies are molded using Pet-G. It's more flexible than most vac canopies, like the ones Squadron makes. You may have an easier time cutting it with some sharp scissors, like the small kind nurses use.

Chris

Dave,

Stainless steel scissors are better than aluminum scissors. If you have a pair of stainless steel scissors that you use to cut PE from their stalk you can use those. They are quite sharp. Mine cut thru pretty much most everything. Including your fingertips.

HTH.

Sincerely,

Mark