Mystery 109 Build; Revealed!

PhilB

Phil (who had to calm down a lot before I did this post!)

When I encountered huge problems a wise man once told me to put her down for a bit and go have a beer! :speak_cool:

The only thought I have is to remove the firewall from the cockpit and somehow butt it up against the engine set.....

Thats what I would be doin Phil.........seems the logical solution to this issue is if you have to sacrifice something to make all the AM pieces fit together, the lesser of evils to hack on is the firewall on the cockpit as apposed to the engine set.

Head up mate, Ull get her sorted....Just think if this thing was in 1/72! Just be glad were LSP modelers...... :ninja:

Cheers,

Brian

Is the first firewall fixed to the cockpit floor? Maybe take a bit of material from the front edge of the floor and get your fit that way.

Just a thought.

Yes it is Matt, but its a pretty plain piece of flat resin.

Having a "play" last night I think the easiest way is to remove it and use the back of the engine set firewall to butt the cockpit floor

up against. It will be tucked away deep under the ip so won't really be visible.

Sorry to hear the Aires parts don't fit. Hope you sort it out, without too much shouting and swearing!

Håkan

Håkan,

No swearing as my little one was about! More like Muttley's mutterings when he was fed up with Dick Dastardly from "Wacky Rraces"!

When I encountered huge problems a wise man once told me to put her down for a bit and go have a beer! :notworking:

Thats what I would be doin Phil.........seems the logical solution to this issue is if you have to sacrifice something to make all the AM pieces fit together, the lesser of evils to hack on is the firewall on the cockpit as apposed to the engine set.

Head up mate, Ull get her sorted....Just think if this thing was in 1/72! Just be glad were LSP modelers...... :popcorn:

Cheers,

Brian

Yeah, took my own advice. If it was 1/72 it would probably have bounced off a few walls!!

I think you are right about loosing the firewall. I managed to get a good fit with the engine firewall and the top piece by hacking a slot in the back

so at least some progress there, will post pics later when it stops raining!

Thanks for the support and advice guys!

Phil

No swearing as my little one was about! More like Muttley's mutterings when he was fed up with Dick Dastardly from "Wacky Rraces"!

Phil

Sassen frassen rassen :notworking:

I think your cunning plan has merit Phil. there's no way the cockpit firewall will be visible. Removing that one should give the clearance you need.

As an aside, that Aires stuff looks super. I can't wait to see it under a nice coat of paint (even if it is oily and gooey :popcorn: )

:wow:

This is one of the reasons I like building my own parts (not that I haven't screwed the pooch at times) My experiences with after market resin has not been the best, though I tip my hat to the guys making it and some of the things I've seen guys do with it is jaw dropping.

Sometimes thinning the faces of the parts where they meet works, or as you say, cutting away stuff that will never be seen to make things fit works as well. Above all don't let it get to you. Go do something else, work on a different part of the model, cruise the net for ref... it'll all be better tomorrow. Whatever ya do, don't let the @#^*&%# get ya down !

Cheers

Vaughn

*IN MUTTLEYS WHEEZING VOICE* *HEHEHEHEHEH* Snickers.......

lol

Brian

Sassen frassen rassen ;)

I was going to write what he says but couldn't think how to do it.

Thanks for that and the advice!

This is one of the reasons I like building my own parts (not that I haven't screwed the pooch at times) My experiences with after market resin has not been the best, though I tip my hat to the guys making it and some of the things I've seen guys do with it is jaw dropping.

Sometimes thinning the faces of the parts where they meet works, or as you say, cutting away stuff that will never be seen to make things fit works as well. Above all don't let it get to you. Go do something else, work on a different part of the model, cruise the net for ref... it'll all be better tomorrow. Whatever ya do, don't let the @#^*&%# get ya down !

Yeah Vaughn, with hindsight I should have just got the am engine and scratched the cockpit.

Funny though I've used the Aires exhausts a few times and they are brilliant.

This is my first Aires "other" stuff and the detail is fantastic. Teach me to be such a lazy bugger!!! :)

Brian,

Penelope Pitstop was my favourite, closely followed by the cavemen, Rock and Gravel, liked the way they clubbed everything! :evil_laugh:

Anyway, Success!!!!!

I managed to get the firewall and the top piece to fit last night.

Cut away about 2mm from the back of the firewall and there is now a nice neat join:

P7151281.jpg

I sacrificed the kit cockpit and removed the firewall.

P7151285.jpg

Initial fit is promising (couldn't get a photo in the dark pit) and its the same size as the Aires one so it should be a good guide.

The Aires pit has only a small frame detail around the cannon cover (not fitted yet) which will be lost:

P7151287.jpg

A test fit has shown that a lot of thinning will be needed with the sidewalls in place.

I think I'm going to do that first as if I take off the firewall there will be no support during sanding.

I'm going to have to remove about 2mm from the front of each sidewall too but it won't be visible once done (I hope)

More soon.

Phil

Great work Phil! You've got around that problem quite neatly, and I reckon you're already on the home stretch!

Thanks Kev, I'm just in the mood this morning. Not taking any prisoners today! :wow:

So, as I said in my last post I had to thin the sidewalls as is pretty usual to get a good fit.

I left the cockpit firewall in place to give the sidewalls support whilst I attacked them with the sander.

Wasn't as bad as I thought and eventually got a pretty good fit:

P7151292.jpg

P7151290.jpg

I marked the position of the pit firewall on the sidewalls to give an idea where to cut them.

I will also have to remove a sliver from the top of the walls at the front to allow the top "coaming" to sit in properly where you see the notch on the kit fuse.

Then it was out with the razor saw and off came the pit firewall:

P7151302.jpg

I also cut the sidewalls, taped it together and prayed!

P7151299.jpg

Without any support the sidewalls bend in a little so I had to tape them in place. Won't be a problem on assembly with CA.

The gap is pretty small considering there is only a bit of blue tack underneath holding it flush.

On assembly I'll support it with a card bracing strip. I also have to put in the cannon cover which butts up to the new firewall pretty well.

Well I suppose I'd better start painting the pit to get it all sealed up and then on with the engine.

Phil (who is wondering what the next crisis will be!)

This is shaping up quite nicely.

Phil, will you need to shorten the gun cover to match?

Hi Mark!

I hope not, I cut and sanded right up to where the cover mount is so it should sit flush to the new firewall when I install it.

If its not quite right it should be undersized if anything so I can always extend it up to the wall with some card.

Phil

Looks awesome Phil! Knew it would get sorted the way U were planning....

Brian,

Penelope Pitstop was my favourite, closely followed by the cavemen, Rock and Gravel, liked the way they clubbed everything! :wow:

I had one favorite especially on Laugh Olympics.........

"EXIT! STAGE LEFT EVEN!!!!" :wow:

Cheers, and Bobs ur uncle

Brian

Fine bit of fettling there Phil :wow: (well done). There are many reasons why resin AM parts sometimes do not fit a kit, even when the master patterns clearly does (apart from trying to make it fit a kit it was not designed for, of course), however, you appear to be well on top of this one, so I hope the rest of your journey runs a little more smoothly.

Regards

Derek

Fine bit of fettling there Phil :) (well done). There are many reasons why resin AM parts sometimes do not fit a kit, even when the master patterns clearly does (apart from trying to make it fit a kit it was not designed for, of course), however, you appear to be well on top of this one, so I hope the rest of your journey runs a little more smoothly.

Regards

Derek

Thanks for the kind words Derek,

You are quite right about am resin of course. I think the simple explanation here is that when they combined

two sets to make a "superset", they didn't allow for the commonality of two firewalls but at least we now know what the fix is.

I was prepared for some "fettling" to get the cockpit and sidewalls in and in the event it wasn't too bad at all!

I have now fixed the firewall and top piece in and the fit of the cockpit floor is even better than when it was taped up so I'm pretty chuffed with it.

As they say in Cornwall, "its tighter than a crab's arse and that's watertight!" B)

I think the next thing will be to repair and replace some of the small rods and things that got snapped off in the process of fitting things.

I would think that any further problems will probably be of my own making which is about par for the course!

Phil