Mystery 109 Build; Revealed!

PhilB

Thanks for all the kind words Gentlemen!

I am still having problems with Photobucket. I can log in and get the upload box but without the green upload button.

Sent an e-mail to PB and they gave advice which hasn't helped at all so I'm having to e-mail photos across! :BANGHEAD2:

Anyway, I'm within a fag paper of finishing, just some of the last small bits to be done.

I had to scratch the trestle that is under the oil cooler here:

Malta1094.jpg

As you can see I've only got a view of one end. I don't know the colour or anything else.

This was one of those times when you have to just build what you see and interpret what it may look like.

I used card, rod and "L" shaped plastic. The bolts and big rivets are from sliced 1mm rod.

I have built it slightly too tall to fit allowing for the piece of wood.

Hopefully I can lower the height on the dio by sanding the bottoms of the legs and slip in the piece of ice lolly stick I'm using for the wood.

Don't know what the tap type things are - adjusters of some kind? I used rod with drops of ca to give a tap effect.

I've put another of the upper double plate type thingys on the other end as it seemed logical?

PB162418.jpg

And here with the piece of wood which will be stained later:

PB162424.jpg

I painted it last night so its got to be drybrushed and weathered which I will hopefully show later.

Another item going on is what we believe to be the radio that has been removed. We discussed this earlier in the thread and it seems

to be what we can see here:

Malta1093-1.jpg

I had the rear radio compartment from the Aires set so I sanded the bulkhead away and separated the pieces.

I've added some extra wires as the photo shows a lot of wiring laying around it which I'll do on the dio.

I could only find a black and white photo of the set on the web but similar sets seemed to be RLM66 so don't beat me up if its wrong:

PB162427.jpg

Nearly done!

Phil

Thanks for all the kind words from the "usual suspects" :evil_laugh:

Harv, It will be a bit sad to finish. I suppose its because its a little bit of family history makes it a bit special.

GOOD NEWS!!!!!! Photobucket has just been upgraded on my login. All new and shiny uploading tools so here we go!

I weathered the trestle to give it a worn look and stained the wood using the Tamiya palettes:

PB172434.jpg

PB172432.jpg

I also fixed the radio onto the diorama, colour and then black and white comparison shot:

PB172441.jpg

Malta10993.jpgPB172440.jpg

The lighting is not quite the same as I'm indoors but it should look better if ever I get some outdoor shots.

I managed to squeeze the trestle under the oil cooler:

PB172450.jpg

Malta10944.jpgPB172446.jpg

Again not quite the right lighting but it will do.

All I have to do now is re-attach the broken off pitot tube :BANGHEAD2:

and get out the chalks for some dustiness and pour some oil around the ground.

Oh! I've also got to finish painting Bert.

Later!

Phil

Incredibly good Phil. in terms of aircraft dioramas, this has to be just about the very best I have seen for many a year - well done.

There is a web based photo manipulator somewhere that atrificially fades and ages your pictures to make them look old (sepia type photographs) - maybe you can use somethong like this (in monochrome) to fade your photogrphs a little, which would then make them an even closer match to your father's pictures? (sorry that I can't remember exactly what it was, but it was featured in a previous post here on LSP some time ago).

:goodjob:

Derek

There is a web based photo manipulator somewhere that atrificially fades and ages your pictures to make them look old (sepia type photographs) - maybe you can use somethong like this (in monochrome) to fade your photogrphs a little, which would then make them an even closer match to your father's pictures? (sorry that I can't remember exactly what it was, but it was featured in a previous post here on LSP some time ago).

Indeed:

http://labs.wanokoto.jp/olds

It's in Japanese unfortunately, but not too hard to work out what to do.

Kev

Incredibly good Phil. in terms of aircraft dioramas, this has to be just about the very best I have seen for many a year - well done.

Thanks Derek,

I have found it incredibly difficult to get a picture at exactly the same angle as the original photo.

I think its all a question of scale.

If you think about it the lens on my camera scaled up is about as big as a small truck!

I'm using the photo software with the camera(Olympus Master) and just converting them to monochrome although after your comment I had a look at the green sepia and it looked a bit better so I'll have a bit of a play with the settings.

Indeed:

http://labs.wanokoto.jp/olds

It's in Japanese unfortunately, but not too hard to work out what to do.

Thanks Kev,

Its pretty good that site.

As you say even in Japanese its pretty self explanatory.

Here's what it did to one of the previous photos:

omwnm10-201011181324301.jpg

Thanks very much mate!

Phil

Mark and Vaughn that's clever Japanese technology for you!

Well its finished apart from putting some trim round the edge of the base. I think I have overstayed my welcome as this GB actually finished a few days ago.

In my defence this is actually my second build in this GB after my F5 with the rude pilot! I also managed to complete another 109 on the normal WIP at the same time.

I don't want this to sound like some award ceremony speech but there are many people that I need to thank for their help, advice and encouragement to get this one done!

You all know who you are so a VERY big thank you from me!

To finish up I added the pile of cowlings and also my soldier who I have called Bert.

He's not in the "main" photo on the drums but there is a sentry in the picture after landing so I thought it would be a bit of fun to put him in.

This is the final "aerial" view with Bert guarding the road:

PB192474.jpg

The cowlings have been placed with the two main ones joined at the hinge with a bit of oil on the ground:

PB192452.jpg

PB192454.jpg

I dribbled a bit of oil on the ground underneath the engine and a few drips on the trestle.

I think most of it would be out before they put it up on the drums so I didn't overdo it:

PB192458.jpg

PB192460.jpg

I also put in this petrol can. You can't see it in the final photo but I thought it would add to the scene a bit:

PB192459.jpg

Here's a few views with Bert in. He's from the old Airfix 1/32 desert Rats set. He was initially charging something so he has had a new left leg from a prone Bren Gunner and I had to bust his ankle to get it right. His right leg below the knee is from a Tommy Gunner.

He looks ok but has rather staring eyes which I just couldn't get to look right :evil_laugh: :

PB192467.jpg

This one came out well with the depth of field:

PB192466.jpg

And one more:

PB192468.jpg

More in a minute.

Phil

I think this about as close as I can get to the original photo position wise:

PB192470.jpg

In sepia this time, looks a bit better than the monochrome setting on my photo software:

PB192473.jpg

Here's the final comparison:

PB192472.jpgMalta1092.jpg

And here's what the Japanese software came up with:

rn4z4u-201011200044291.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Its been quite a journey but after overcoming the Aires engine/pit issues it was very enjoyable.

I'll post some shots in RFI soon.

Phil