Mystery 109 Build; Revealed!

PhilB

Very smooth. Really nice, Phil. I love that wavey line on the wing forward edge.

Apparently the small "vent" between the etc rack lugs is a vent from the lower engine cowl.

The one just in front of the two fuel tank lead holes? That vent is the boss cannon gas vent.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark, seems the references written by experts can be wrong!

I'll go with your info and leave it alone pretty much.

Thanks for the kind words Keith!

Thanks Brian, you wanted more so here it is.

I made my oil by mixing gloss black and brown about 5 parts black and two parts brown.

I thinned this 50/50 with thinners and it pooled and ran into seams as oil would.

Used a very thin brush to drag drips down the fuse.

First time I have ever covered a nicley masked and painted screen with more paint. I also used a cotton bud to smear and stipple the oil on the screen:

PA132080.jpg

PA132102.jpg

Once its dried I am going to further dirty up clean areas slightly with Tamiya weathering palettes to tone down the contrast.

I've also got to cover the top surface with dust and seal it which will lighten a lot of marks on the wings.

Obligatory comparison shots:

PA132083.jpgBf109G-6.jpg

These were taken on a dull day, the originals in bright sunshine so my oil looks a lot darker than it actually is.

This next ones very difficult to get at the same aspect as the original but here's a go:

PA132105.jpgMalta1092.jpg

I've also got to detail the rear deck, fix all the control surfaces and prop and add a couple of small pipes underneath which Mark identified for me earlier in the thread.

Phil

You are doing such a wonderful job on this aircraft. Your results are envious.

Thanks Mark,

might be picking your brains soon about the rear deck.

As far as I can see there are just two lugs left rather like the one's on the etc rack

plus the strap and a couple of other small pieces on the rear bulkhead.

I couldn't agree more. With every update, it's getting harder to tell the model from the real deal. :speak_cool:

Thanks John,

i'm trying just to replicate what I see in the photo's but it can be tough sometimes when all you have are a couple of black and white pictures.

Very realistic, love the oil color. You are doing an amazing job and the side by side shots are the proof you are getting it right. :thumbsup:

Thanks Vaughn

Not a whole lot of unused LSP superlatives left to describe this one Philly! Simply stunning me amigo........right on. :mental:

Thanks Pal!

I'm starting to think about how to do the tarpaulins.

I was going to try to use thin paper soaked in a diluted pva solution, fold it up and see how it goes,

unless any of you have a better idea????

Phil

Thanks for the kind words Harv.

Its a bit easier sometimes to replicate the aircraft from photo's of the real thing, basically copying what you see.

When you deal with a scheme from a book you are interpreting what somebody else has already interpreted from other

sources so you have a bit more scope sometimes.

Today I've been detailing the rear of the cockpit where the screen was before it was ejected.

I've put on what I can see from the photo's and looking at references to see what should be there.

I used 1mm brass drilled out for the lower lugs which held the ejection and screen locking system

The white metal pieces are from an old Phantom pe set that was lying about and I used card to extend the leather strap which wasn't detailed in the kit:

PA142108.jpg

PA142111.jpg

You can also see the nice oily screen!

I've also managed to attach the rear horizontal stabs which I had to separate as the kit one's are all one piece and attach with brass rod as they are slightly down in the photo.

I've also bunged on the flaps.

More soon I hope.

Phil

Phil,

Bloody amazing job. :speak_cool:

When you do your tarps try cigarette papers and PVA. Cigarette papers are less likely to get the fuzzies when wet by the PVA .

Cheers,

Kais.

Try tissue paper or bathroom tissue soaked in a solution of water and white glue. It works very well (old armor diorama trick) you can fold it and shape it as you want and when dry looks like a folded tarp. It takes paint well too.

Cheers

Vaughn

Looks awesome buddy!

I would concur with the tissue paper trick......used it many times and seems to work well. When you apply the water/glue mix, and or the paint, that usually will calm any minor fuzzies you have remaining. I would try to the more expensive paper, as that stuff seems to be less susceptible to breaking down or creating any fuzzy remnants.

Brian

Thanks for the kind words gents and the advice regarding the tarps.

Brian, I'll have to go out and get some new toilet rolls as the one's I've got at the moment have

the Andrex puppy embossed all over them which might look a bit funny underneath a WW2 plane.

I presume you use fresh paper not second hand????? :BANGHEAD2:

Phil

Brian, I'll have to go out and get some new toilet rolls as the one's I've got at the moment have

the Andrex puppy embossed all over them which might look a bit funny underneath a WW2 plane.

Don't use toilet paper Brian, as it's designed to break down when it gets wet!

Kev