Mystery 109 Build; Revealed!

PhilB

Thanks for the kind words Derek,

You are quite right about am resin of course. I think the simple explanation here is that when they combined

two sets to make a "superset", they didn't allow for the commonality of two firewalls but at least we now know what the fix is.

I was prepared for some "fettling" to get the cockpit and sidewalls in and in the event it wasn't too bad at all!

I have now fixed the firewall and top piece in and the fit of the cockpit floor is even better than when it was taped up so I'm pretty chuffed with it.

As they say in Cornwall, "its tighter than a crab's arse and that's watertight!" :evil_laugh:

I think the next thing will be to repair and replace some of the small rods and things that got snapped off in the process of fitting things.

I would think that any further problems will probably be of my own making which is about par for the course!

Phil

Glad it all worked out OK for you Phil. I have spent many an holiday in Cornwall (my favourite UK holiday destination - I know Penzance pretty well after going there so often - I recognised your avatar flag ;)). Do you live there?

Cheers

Derek

Glad it all worked out OK for you Phil. I have spent many an holiday in Cornwall (my favourite UK holiday destination - I know Penzance pretty well after going there so often - I recognised your avatar flag :evil_laugh:). Do you live there?

Cheers

Derek

Dad was still in the RAF when I was born but we moved down there when I was 5 after he retired in 1964 after 40 years service. He was an original Trenchard "brat". He joined at 15 as a "boy" (that was his rank) engineering apprentice at Halton. His last 2 years were at RAF Mountbatten in Plymouth on the Vosper RTTL High speed launches. Now there's a machine - marinised Griffon's and over 40 knots flat out. Can still hear the noise even now! I can remember 2757 (Now at Hendon) clearly though my fave was 2760! His side of the family goes back to 1600 in Cornwall. I lived in a small village near Camborne. Went to Redruth Grammar School (now a bloody arts centre!) and then had to go to the big city like most of my generation. Currently living in Bucks near Pinewood Studios.

I'm looking to move back but prices are pretty high thanks to the "emmetts" buying up everything!!!!!!

1/12 scale RTTL, Hmmm, let me see, 67' true equates to 5.6 feet in scale.... Now that would be cool!!!!!!

post-13803-1279272424.jpg

Phil

it's no fun when everything goes smoothly, especially for us in the audience!!!

Thanks Nick!!!!

You are right, if everything went smoothly in this hobby life would be pretty dull and we wouldn't get to swear much!!!

Phil

Dad was still in the RAF when I was born but we moved down there when I was 5 after he retired in 1964 after 40 years service. He was an original Trenchard "brat". He joined at 15 as a "boy" (that was his rank) engineering apprentice at Halton. His last 2 years were at RAF Mountbatten in Plymouth on the Vosper RTTL High speed launches. Now there's a machine - marinised Griffon's and over 40 knots flat out. Can still hear the noise even now! I can remember 2757 (Now at Hendon) clearly though my fave was 2760! His side of the family goes back to 1600 in Cornwall. I lived in a small village near Camborne. Went to Redruth Grammar School (now a bloody arts centre!) and then had to go to the big city like most of my generation. Currently living in Bucks near Pinewood Studios.

I'm looking to move back but prices ar pretty high thanks to the "emmetts" buying up everything!!!!!!

1/12 scale RTTL, Hmmm, let me see, 67' true equates to 5.6 feet in scale.... Now that would be cool!!!!!!

Phil

Phil,

Lovely background history there - thank you. I am also ex-RAF (and I am still partially - I hold an RAF VR(T) officer commission for the air cadets). The RAF RTTL high speed launches are very intersting - I used to go aboard them when we carried out aircrew sea survival training off spurn point just off the river Humber eastury and into the north sea, so I remember them well also. I am very well aware of Airman T.E. Shaw's (T.E. Lawrance- 'Lawrance of Arabia') deep involvement of the development of the RAF 200 series high speed launches - of which the V-T RTTL launches are direct descendants from - all good stuff.

Thanks

Derek

wow, seems quite a job fitting all these resin parts!

came out nicely, phil

Thanks Karl,

I'm trying to get all the resin done but as you say, there is an awful lot!

Phil

I'm a bit on the "dark side of the Moon" with this one at the moment.

Lots of work putting the engine together and getting to work on the cockpit which really needs to go in before I do anything else.

Trouble is there is not really anything exciting to show but I thought I might share my feeble attempts to make a decent cockpit.

I gave it a light prime with Alclad grey Primer which I use in all my builds.

I just find it so easy to work with, dries quickly and easy to sand.

I then used a fibreglass propelling pencil to sand it back.

Provided you use it "long" ie you have at least 1cm out then it wont remove any detail.

Downside is the fibres break off and if you get them in your skin its a real PTA!

I do it outside wearing gloves. (That sounds bad but I mean the sanding with the fibreglass pencil :party0023: )

Then I gave it a light coat of White Ensign RLM 66 through the airbrush.

I normally hand paint cockpits but Im trying to be a bit different. I didn't mind if the primer still showed through in some areas as its all part of the highlighting and shading process:

P7201307.jpg

I did give more paint to some areas like the cannon cover as its quite prominent.

One of the things I'm mindfull of is losing detail. However much I slag Aires off in this build you cannot deny the detail is pretty stunning so it's a shame to lose it under paint.

Next step is to build the trim wheels and stick, adding a few handles from the pe set.

I've also removed the clear portion from the fuel pipe which I will replace with clear sprue.

I'll then pick out the coloured details and start with the washes.

I'm going to try watercolours on this as well to see how they go so that's also something new.

More soon I hope.

Phil

Those sidewalls sure look great. They are gonna be a lot of fun to paint!

Thanks for the kind words Matt and you are not wrong about the painting!

The rudder pedals were pretty tricky as I had to work out where all the folds go and had to cut them in the middle to make them shorter.

I've given some parts a light drybrush with silver to bring out some detail but I will be doing this again to represent rubbed off paint etc.

This has had a thin dark wash to bring out some details.

Used the Aires pe trim wheels as they are better scale thickness than those in the kit.

Had to put a spacer in between them and move the chain as the instructions had them flush with each other.

P7221317.jpg

Port sidewall:

P7221325.jpg

Picked out the electrical cables on both walls with RLM 75. Both have been given a thin dark wash.

Had to add the red lever as its not mentioned in the Aires instructions. Used a piece from the pe fret which doesn't exist in the instructions either!

The chain is a bit bright but bearing in mind it will be deep down in the pit I might leave it that way to highlight it.

Stbd sidewall:

P7221330.jpg

Again I have done a little silver drybrushing to pick out some switches and the lower guage. Also helped to show the fuel pipe clips.

I am using both the SAMI datafile and the Squadron walkround for refrence. Both have lovely pictures of a restored G4 cockpit but that's the problem, its restored!

Also in the datafile is a good set of pictures of a G6 which looks unrestored in the pit so that's what I'm using.

Hence the yellow fuel pipe is only partially yellow as most of it was painted '66 in the example I am using.

I will be fitting the control column (once its dry!) soon and the clear portion of the fuel pipe.

I'm going to be experimenting with watercolour washes and chalks as the aircraft was based in Sicily and crashed on Malta in early summer so lots of light dust!

This pit at the moment reminds me of some people I know - needs to lighten up a bit! :beer4:

Phil (who needs to give his eyes a rest!)

Brian, Mark and Vaughn,

Thanks for the kind words guys!

You are right about the colours.

Its such a dark cockpit that I have tried to put in as much colour as I could find in the references to try to lift it.

I've been fettling and mixed up chalks seem to be looking the best option to lighten things so far.

I'll try and post later but the Beemer wants an engine oil and brake fluid change this morning.

Anyone know where you can get counselling for credit cards? :unsure:

Right here we go Derek!

Dydh da Derek!

Meur ras dhis!

Oll an gwella!

Phil