Mystery 109 Build; Revealed!

PhilB

Fair call, you can always edit the photos of it afterward.

That other pic you posted is a goodie... still no canopy

Yup,

I was going to take some Pics in black and white as I went along thought it might help to get the shades of the real colours right.

Also take one at the end of the build to compare.

No canopy, think that may have gone into the Med along with the aerial post and wire when he ejected it in flight.

Oh no! something else I don't have to reproduce and I was soooo looking forward to it!

Least being Hasegawa its not a "limited run" kit so no fit issues eh Keith! :clap2:

Phil

Least being Hasegawa its not a "limited run" kit so no fit issues eh Keith!

True, but you will still have your work cut out for you. Even simple Dios are a challenge. I commend the guys who can pull them off convincingly.

Good luck.

Hi Phil,

I can understand why you've opted to avoid the B&W finish but it does look cool. I remember seeing a 1/48th scale Hurricane at Telford one year that was painted in shades of black white and greys. It was really eye-catching. The guy had got the look just right, it was exactly like staring at a black and white photo. I did a double take.......thought my colour vision was going :blink:

Now that the F-5 is finished you can devote all of your attention to this project.

I'm eager to see how this all comes together. Should look great :speak_cool:

:piliot:

As I mentioned to Phil in a PM yesterday - assuming my machine sent it - this is a rather interesting machine regarding its camouflage.

There are colour photos of a Bf 109 G-6 Trop whose werknummer indicates that it was produced almost at the same time as the subject aircraft. The photos of "ge.7+-", WNr.18068 of 6./JG 53 were taken after its capture in Sicily. It is 22 aircraft removed from WNr.18046. The photos appear in volume 2 of Jochen Prien's three-part set on JG 53.

The photos, especially the cockpit close-up, reveal that the stripes on the fuselage were painted in a light mottle of RLM 79 Sandgelb over which a few small mottles of RLM 74 Graugrün were applied. In is not RLM 02 as some have interpreted (Classic) and colour photos confirms the 79. Yet, without the colour photos, one would naturally assume that the mottled stripes were the standard 75 with a spotty 74 overspray (of which there are extant colour photos confirming this). But here we have evidence of a probably limited factory-applied variation that makes sense given that the aircraft was a trop and was being sent to the Med.

If it wasn't for Phil's project and info requests and sharing of thoughts and comments here, I would not have investigated this aircraft nor discovered this camouflage scheme variation, and, the photo buried in my collection posted above. This project is turning out to be one with a rich historical, personal and technical perspective and is a perfect example of creating and replicating history.

Phil, the beer count has risen accordingly!

Cheers,

David

PS: I'll try and post the images here later when I get home from work fo others to comment upon.

D.

post-557-1277340895.jpg

Fascinating David. I sent Phil the color photos of 18068 as well and never would have guessed at the 79 application. I would have written it off as a bad print. The color profile I sent makes no mention of 02 or 79 but does show the unusual mottling. I think the 79 would look really good. Analyzing those photos is a lot of fun. I do like the upside down panel door on the port side as well.

More beer!

Matt

Hi Matt,

Surprisingly, perhaps one of the weaknesses of the Classic Jagdwaffe series is the limited information on actualy camouflage colours. Hence it was no surprise to me that no comments were made on this kite, especially as they had access to the original images.

Anywho, I attach the images in my previous and this post for readers to jusge for themselves.

Cheers,

David

PS: Phil, my machine decided to send my original PM to you just a few minutes ago!

D.

post-557-1277341294.jpg

Phil, the beer count has risen accordingly!

David,

After all your work I think its stacking up to a few crates of beer!

Ahhh so its back on to White Ensign for some more RLM to add to the growing collection.

Didn't get any pm but I sent an e-mail few days ago regarding a few "final" (so I thought) points,(code sizes etc)

Anyway, this is amazing how a small 4" x 3" photo in an old album can start something like this.

Great stuff and really fascinating!

Thanks David

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got the last items I'll need for the build:

post-13803-1278331239.jpg

These are Jeff Herne's Warpigs masks.

There were some questions about the size of the markings on the aircraft.

Big Matt sent me the detailed regulations covering this.

I discovered the kit and aftermarket decals I had for the crosses were slightly undersized for the fuse and top wing

and way out for the underwing.

They should have been 950mm and 1000mm respectively for the 109G's.

The regs said that letters were 6/10 of the cross size so Jeff's masks in 570 and 600mm are perfect.

As you may know the codes on the side have washed off leaving the negatives on the fuse white band.

By using the actual letter from the mask on the fuse I can overspray with white then remove the letter leaving the ghost codes.

Great service from Sprue Brothers, despatched and in the UK in 7 days!

Lovely stuff!

Phil

I am really looking forward to seeing how those masks turn out. Is the material thick like frisket? Painting markings is something I want to try soon.

Jeff sent me some review samples, so as soon as I get a spare moment or two, I'll get a review together.

Kev

Now that is getting precise with your markings ! Looking forward to seeing this done.

Yes Vaughn,

Kind of got a bit carried away but I knew I had to use masks for the codes

then a good dose of ams hit me!

Gotta get this one right. The "experten" will have me for breakfast if I don't!

(In a nice way of course, this is LSP not one of the other sites!)

Matt,

They look pretty thin to me but I've only used the masking sheet on a roll before.

I am sure Kev will give a better idea when he does a review.

Bit like asking me to give a report on the latest Ferrari when having never driven one before I've nothing to compare it to!

Phil :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Well off we go! (sort of!!!)

As you may be aware, I needed to have a detailed engine and bay as I'm building it without the cowlings.

Aires do both an engine detail set and a cockpit set sold separately.

However they also do a general G6 detail set in one box that includes both the engine and cockpit with wheel wells but it is quite a bit cheaper than buying them separately so I stumped up my

hard-earned cash and got it.

Yesterday I spent all day carefully removing mold blocks and plunging all the resin in my sonic cleaner.

I carefully removed the front of the fuse as per the Aires instructions:

P7141268.jpg

You also have to remove the "humped" cowling that sits in front of the screen.

I also had to open up the rear of the pit to get the rear of the resin pit to fit.

I will replace the triangular corners with card once its in.

First I tried the kit cockpit:

P7141279.jpg

Note where the firewall sits.

Then I tried the Aires pit:

P7141271.jpg

Again, note where the "firewall" sits with a nice little flange to line it up. (Note that I haven't removed the kit sidewall detail yet, I'm keeping my options open! )

I then fitted the engine set "firewall":

P7141273.jpg

Note where the firewall sits!

There is a resin "coaming" that sits on top of the fuse and butts up to the back of the firewall.

Bear in mind that I have COMPLETELY removed the casting blocks:

P7141274.jpg

It doesn't fit! Period! The top piece sits beautifully but it pushes the firewall out.

The simple question here is how are you supposed to fit both these sets when the "firewalls" of both the cockpit and engine sets occupy the same place???

The engine set wouldn't even fit with the kit cockpit as that is also in the way.

The only thought I have is to remove the firewall from the cockpit and somehow butt it up against the engine set wall but this is a major mistake by the manufacturer.

Whilst they say that you may need to thin the plastic parts and dry fit, to simply not have your own parts fitting properly is not acceptable.

I accept that some reworking is required sometimes with resin sets but this is very far off.

It appears that both these sets do not work with each other nor with the kit cockpit. :lol:

I also tried the fit of the replacement upper cowling over the resin top piece:

P7141278.jpg

I am pushing down quite hard and its 2mm out on both sides!

Good job I am not using them on the finished thing!

Ah well! Out with Mr Dremel to try and get this lot together!!!

Phil (who had to calm down a lot before I did this post!)

Patience Phil...

That is a bummer! Aaaarrrghhh. I hate it hen that happens. It just seems that kind of stuff gets me too, except ith the standard kit parts :speak_cool:

Is the first firewall fixed to the cockpit floor? Maybe take a bit of material from the front edge of the floor and get your fit that way.

Just a thought.