RF-4B Phantom II

Azgaron

Thanks Karl! smile.gif

I'll try that and perhaps omitting the flash might help.

As soon as the pit is done and painted, things will pick up speed I hope.
Unless I start to rescribe all the panel lines biggrin.gif

Cheers,

HÃ¥kan

• 2 weeks later...

A little update! Work is progressing although somewhat slow perhaps! smile.gif

First a hopefully better shoot at the rear panel!

rf-4b_phantom_2_rear_cockpit_panel_640x4

I'm gonna get some drill bits or some tool to make small holes, and insert insert intrument dials.

Then I've been working with the front cockpit, making side panels and control stick.
The thing is that I resized a pic of the panel layout to aprox size of the excisting panel.
Problem is that the side panels seems to be somewhat too wide to fit space in the fuselage. Perhaps it'll work as the panels are tilted upwards both lengthwise and widthwise.

rf-4b_phantom_2_front_cockpit_layout_640

Still more work to do. smile.gif

Cheers,

HÃ¥kan

It's looking great HÃ¥kan !

As to pictures of white plastic I've never used the flash, it washes out the pic too much. I use my regular modeling lamp (regular bulb, not fluorescent) and adjust the angle of the light till I get the detail/shadow contrast that looks the best. It's amazing how just a small adjustment of the light can give you a totally different look.

Cheers

Vaughn

• 3 weeks later...

Progress isn't going fast. Some of it due to I'm working on a QF-4S in 48th as well, and had to get that build a push so I can free some space on the work table for this one. smile.gif

The pilots got some paint.

First a thin layer of khaki green.

rf-4b_phantom_2_pilots_paint_1_640x480.j

Then some shadows with darker color.

rf-4b_phantom_2_pilots_paint_2_640x480.j

Highlights added.

rf-4b_phantom_2_pilots_highlight_640x480

Shoes, mask and gloves got some color.

qf-4s_phantom_2_pilots_black_paint_640x4

I'm a bit unsure of two things here. The mask and hose, should it be black or green?
Revells instructions suggest black, but the perhaps somewhat more modern pilots in the Hase kit should have green masks.
Did the color change over the years?
Second, the gloves looks like they have a large collar? but on the instructions it looks like the sleeve of the suit.
I'm not sure I've used the right colors as I've used the same color on these as I used on the Hase kit.

Cheers,

HÃ¥kan

Progress isn't going fast. Some of it due to I'm working on a QF-4S in 48th as well, and had to get that build a push so I can free some space on the work table for this one. smile.gif

The pilots got some paint.

First a thin layer of khaki green.

rf-4b_phantom_2_pilots_paint_1_640x480.j

Then some shadows with darker color.

rf-4b_phantom_2_pilots_paint_2_640x480.j

Highlights added.

rf-4b_phantom_2_pilots_highlight_640x480

Shoes, mask and gloves got some color.

qf-4s_phantom_2_pilots_black_paint_640x4

I'm a bit unsure of two things here. The mask and hose, should it be black or green?
Revells instructions suggest black, but the perhaps somewhat more modern pilots in the Hase kit should have green masks.
Did the color change over the years?
Second, the gloves looks like they have a large collar? but on the instructions it looks like the sleeve of the suit.
I'm not sure I've used the right colors as I've used the same color on these as I used on the Hase kit.

Cheers,

HÃ¥kan

One of my side hobbies is that I collect flight gear. It started with getting gear used by father and uncle as they were USN fliers during the 70s and 80s. All of the 70s vintage oxygen masks I have are colored green. Glove are olive drab nomex with light grey palms. The flight suit of the time could either be sage green ( a kind of grey-green color) or olive green. My dad was issued olive green flight suits in the early 70s but was then issued sage green coveralls by the late 70s. My uncle's mid 70s vintage anti-G suit is colored a dark green somewhere between forrest and olive. Boots of the time were black. Naval aviators had brown boots until the late 1960s I think. Every picture I've seen of 70s vintage USN fighter pilots shows their helmets painted in rather fancy paint jobs. My dad's helmet (he was a P-3 Orion crewman) is covered with reflective tape stripes. My uncle who was an A-7 pilot, had a helmet painted red and black. Rarely are they just white.

Thanks for the great info! That sure helps a lot!
I wonder, if the masks where green then, why does model companies persist with suggesting black? smile.gif
Yeah I've seen those fancy helmets in pics and movies, so I might get a shot at panting something other than white.
Btw, you don't happen to have any pics?

Cheers,

HÃ¥kan

Thanks for the great info! That sure helps a lot!
I wonder, if the masks where green then, why does model companies persist with suggesting black? smile.gif
Yeah I've seen those fancy helmets in pics and movies, so I might get a shot at panting something other than white.
Btw, you don't happen to have any pics?

Cheers,

HÃ¥kan

Unfortunately Hakan my digital camera has gone on to the great darkroom in the sky! However, take alook at ebay. Plenty of flight gear makes its way to this site. Specifically, look at MS22001 and MBU-12 oxygen masks. These were the predominate USN issue masks during the 70s and 80s. Note that modern day MBU-12 masks are colored grey. For flight helmets, look for APH-5 ( early 60s) APH-6 ( 60s-70s) and HGU-22/p ( 70s-80s). Revell's F-4 drivers look like they are wearing HGU-22/p helmets with the "widow's peak" style visor cover common to this helmet from the 70s and 80s.

Also try this site:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/

It's mostly for WW2 US Army collectors and re-enactors but there several folks on the site who collect flight gear.

• 6 years later...