Scratch built Westland Lysander Mk 1 1:30 Scale

fozzy

Hi once again chaps

Here comes the good bit.....Replicating the 890hp Mercury xII 9 Cylinder air cooled radial engine. Reference material for this build was taken from a fantastic book from a series called ORANGE SERIES and its the WESTLAND LYSANDER by JAMES KIGHTLY.

I find that as long as you have good reference pictures,a bit of imagination and patience then you can replicate anything!!!

The 1st photo shows the entire materials I used to build the engine.To complete the build I think it took me about 3 days.post-20052-1275915782.jpg

Here's how I did it..............

1.First I made an engine back plate out of plastic card(this was simply the diameter of the cowl cut out of the plastic card).

2.With the block of Balsa I made the engine block taken from a template of the plan.This was sanded to shape......see my crude templates!

post-20052-1275916511.jpg

3. Next the 9 cylinders were cut to size out of a childrens plastic hand held flag pole....no expense spared!!

4.Next I wrapped the green garden twine wire halfway up each cylinder.

5.Followed by the top half being wrapped with telephone single cable wire.

6.Each of the 9 cylinders were then super glued to the engine block

7.Another block of Balsa wood was then sanded to shape the Crankcase and then I attached strips of plastic card to the front and rear and carefully placed little blobs of PVC glue to replicate bolts!

8.I then super glued the engine block to the rear plate............Working out exactly where the centre of the crankcase was I carefully drilled a hole through the crankcase through to the back plate.This would later take the Prop shaft.

9.The 9 Push rods were made out of garden twine wire and super glued into position...........see photo

post-20052-1275918275.jpg

I hope this is not boring for you!!

10.Using Milliput I made an exhaust ring which fits on the inside of the front end of the cowl....this was smoothed out with a wet finger! :yahoo:

11.Now comes the hard part.....I now glued the engine and backplate complete inside the cowl,making sure the engine seen from the front is lined up and squared away!!...I always find this difficult as its all line of sight....so no beers before hand!!...checking all the time the alignment as it's drying and placing a make shift prop shaft into the hole and looking at it from all angles...I think you get the picture!!!...Any way I hope I got it right else the prop will spin unevenly..........Leave it all to dry and go tell the wife all the problems you got with your Mercury Engine!!...see what response you get!!

12.The oil cooler intakes made from insulation cable were put into position on the front of the cowl previously so its on with the exhaust pipes.

13.I cut 18 exhaust pipes to size using once again my favourite modeling material.....electric cable!!...and carefully or should I say pains takingly glued one end onto the top of each cylinder and the other end onto the exhaust ring,fiddly job but will look good when all is finished....well maybe....

14.The last job is to cut out of thicker garden twine wire the rods that support the exhaust ring in place.

Obviously I painted parts after each section of the build.

.......................................................and that my friends is that!!....here's some pics...........................

post-20052-1275920649.jpg

Fozzy,

Out of Respect and Admiration of your work I am creating a new nickname for you..at least in my book..

MacGyver :wow:

That's a very clever design and it came out looking very cool if you ask me. You should be proud.

Keep up the great work!

Oh and if at some point your neighbors wonder where thier phone cables disappeared to.. I wont say a word :blink:

:yahoo:

All the best,

Paul

I appreciate people such as yourself who can build something this complicated from scratch. I would have run away long ago! Out of couriosity, why did you pick 1/30 scale and not the more common "standard" 1/32?