WTF if, P-82 with -B Fuselages...

Kaeone57

Pics for now, the captions later as I saw a topic about having to spell korrectlleeeee, so figured I'd go out and steal a dictionary, no money for such things... Sheeeat, thats why I'm building this thing like this in the first place!!

LSP, I guess, is now Lets Spell Proper??? Muahahahaaaaaaah!!

Serious talk, just got time to start this up as I got family things to do... I'll reply to all, and update verbally, typed really, later.

-OK, so, I'm back.

First and foremost, a big belated "HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL LSP" in the loudest voice possible!!! Also, a very special, overdo, large scale "THANK YOU" goes out to the LSP Moderating Staff for allowing me to continue this build in here even though the group build is over. I Thank You Gentlemen, from the bottom of my heart!! Special shout out, and "BIGTIME THANKS MATE" to LSP Kevin, for voicing my plea, I appreciate it.

IMGP1713.jpg

- Looking through the other kits/scraps/accumulated shapes in the stash, while still retaining a mental picture of the shapes I need, I found an Airfix 1/72 Avro Lancaster. Looking at it's shapes, I noticed it's fuselage cross section would work perfectly, with a lil' bit of work, for my nacelle like transition from fuselage to wing. In this picture it has already been cut in half. Originally I was going to use the body of a Bic lighter for these transitional pieces, but gave up after not getting any of the styrene cements I have to stick to it. I really dislike using super glue for anything structural as I prefer plastic glued to plastic to get that weld type bond... blah, blah, blah.

IMGP1714.jpg

- Since they are bomb bay doors, and have a scribed line down the inside/outside center so they can be split open, I felt the need to back fill the inside with styrene strip to give it some strength before my cut. The scribed center line on the outside came in handy for obvious placement reasons. I love it when "happy accidents" like these happen.

IMGP1715.jpg

- After the split. This worked out in many ways for me. The way the doors, before being cut, tapered from one end to the other at the same amount from center provided not only the look/shape I was after, but also enabled me to get two exact pieces after being cut in half. It's shape at cross section and how it matches the Trumpy kits lines also helps me timewise in not having to scratch it, twice!.

IMGP1748.jpg

- After the cut, a little trimming/sanding and they were good to go. While drawing in my head how to cut in the airfoil shape on these pieces, I came up with this. I used the extra wing bits left over from the other 1/72 PBY kit to make me up a dummy center section. I had to graft the parts back together as they had been sliced up to make the filler panels for the areas where the PBY engines were removed on the actual center section, but I feel it was worth it in the end due to the time it eventually saved. After marking center and all other needed guide lines and making the cutout for the radiator trunking, I could begin to physically render my mental drawing.

IMGP1752.jpg

- I cut into the dummy at the L/R outline of where the nacelle would be. I then removed material slowly, working towards center until the nacelle piece slid in. I removed material as needed to adjust for the height and the decrease in width due to the inner curvature of the bit. I hope yall understand what I mean. If not I hope you like the pictures then.

IMGP1751.jpg

- I was almost able to get to the point where I wanted/needed to be without cutting into the nacelle pieces, but I had to slowly trim away at the height of the rear of the bits to get them under the trunking. I had to cut into them, as making the grooves in the dummy center section any longer toward the trailing edge would have destroyed it.

IMGP1754.jpg

- Using "my lil' frehng", the Cuban factory English version of "my little friend" for the thirsty of you out there, the metel ruler in the pic was used as my line checker/first line marker by running it along the wing top while holding it vertical, while keeping it tight to the nacelle bit and using its edge to kinda rub a guide line. By doing this I tried to establish the truest actual demarcation line without making an actual scribed line on my precious nacelle bits. I then proceeded by matching this with a needle in a pinvice and then a re-outline with a skinny sharpie. I hope this is a clear description of my caveman approaches to all this, as I really fight to type and explain what I mean in as clear a manner as I can, boy do I get a headache everytime I gotta add captions to a pic, and now with the added stress of the new LSP-"Lousy Spellin' Police", I gotta really looook out, hehehe.

IMGP1755.jpg

- Close up of the marked up nacelle off the dummy.

IMGP1757.jpg

- Close up of the nacelle bit slid on the dummy during mark up as described. The reading glasses also serve another purpose, as a deadman when needed.

IMGP1759.jpg

-.Dry fitted. AHHHH, YEEEEEESSSS!!!, sorry for the yell very happy, I think it's working!!! I'm thinking about splitting the nacelle bits down there center line and spread them open by about 2 or 3 scale inches, to thicken there width up a bit. Sorry for the crappy pic, the batteries in my digital camera are dying and it was a case of point/set/shoot quickly before it shuts down due to the depleted state of the batteries.

Peace, and Overstanding, for we have been under the stand for too long a time now!!!!

Alfonso,

Mr. Kaeone57, Kvee, Pro3ist to the 1st!

Edited by Kaeone57

IMGP1720.jpg

- I needed to remove the outer horizontal stabilizer from existance on the L/R fuselage halves. I decided to use the gray fuselage halves for the outsides so when it comes time to fill the void with white styrene I can at least see it a bit better taking shape versus having to use the "Wonder Woman" clear halves for this step. I went ahead and lightly scuffed the clear halves with 3800 sanding pads, Thanks Dr. Mufenhart they work a treat, as it was starting to piss me off looking through them all the time.

IMGP1723.jpg

- A crappy close up of the knife work, round blade again, before sanding it down. Final shaping after the void gets filled with styrene.

IMGP1718.jpg

- Cut/sanded Trumpy's molded on aerodynamic fairings after looking them over and thinking up a solution.Wings rivets and panel lines will be filled where needed, but more on that later when I get there.

IMGP1704.jpg

- Aerodynamic fairings removed from the Revell 1/32 P-51D by rough cutting, then trimming closer with a sprue cutter. Filed and grinded down to later be glued on to Trumpy's outer wings, work in progress still, and boring too, but will be more than worth it in the end, and another bunch a bits I ain't gotta scratch!

IMGP1716.jpg

- Since I don't have Trumpy LG covers to fill the old bays in the outer wing panels, I had to modify Hasegawa parts by cutting/grinding off the internal detail and re-shaping them to fit by hand using a rounded X-ACTO blade. I recently aquired a Dremel tool, but old habits won in this situation and I had fun doing it.

Edited by Kaeone57

Responses to fellow members and captions to all new uploads later... time is not on my side, neither the weather, snow everywhere....

Back to this one too-

Snow, snow and more snow....

IMGP1766.jpg

- Hopefully a better shot of the aerodynamic fairings I cut off the Revell P-51D wings. I need to file 'em down a bit more to make 'em thinner and then final cut them to shape before placement. Also a quick glance at the cut job on the Monogram P-61 horizontal stabilizer. I'll explain my mental drawing for this when the time comes, still playing with it in my head!

IMGP1763.jpg

- Figured I'd use up some more tape and see where I'm at. Nice to be here!!!! The outer wing root edges of the lower center section are in need of a slight trim for the outer wing panels to finally marry 100%. So pay no mind to the gap you see. I'll be doing that shortly as I just wanted to get a full feel for her, so I mocked it up as is. I really like the look of this thing, Russ I hope you do to.

IMGP1764.jpg

- Check yo' 6 foool !!! Front shot. Props clear at a scale 2' 2", don't know what it is for real as I think the aero products props had a slightly smaller diameter???, but I'm close! I found out very recently that the actual P-82 is 172" from fuselage center line to fuselage center line at the center section. I'm at 175". Not bad for a guess, I guess!

IMGP1765.jpg

- Once I get all these outer shapes completed, I can takle the inner stuff. I feel it better to get it right externally first and make myself a "kit" to work with than to encounter multiple problems at the same trying to do ins and outs together. I hope you see the logic in this as there is no point wasting time doing insides if the outside ain't workin.

Peace,

Alfonso

Edited by Kaeone57

All the best of the season to you as well Alfonso ! Awesome problem solving and brilliant work with the PBY wing ! As a bit of a kit basher myself I'm loving what you are doing. Rock On !

:punk:

Vaughn

Thanks for the well wishes, and compliments Vaughn!!!! It pleases me to read that your loving it and appreciate the approach to this contraption. I gotta go back thru your scratched/bashed Miles and see how she turned out in the end, also check your twin engined Zero out, that, like us BBOYS say is.. FRESH. I know mighty tardy of me, but I just don't have the extra free time to go thru all my friends builds. I'm really trying to change that though, I wish to build/post and leave all types of illiterate non-sense on here...hehehe!

Peace,

Alfonso

Pretty freekin sweet!

I LIKE IT A LOT!

Great job...... :popcorn:

Cheers,

Brian

Thanks Brian, I really appreciate it!! I'll have you know that she won't be foiled, but will still have a very dazzling in yo' face scheme to say the least, Muahahahaaaaa!

Peace,

Alfonso

Most excellent project and build my friend!

I love your style, keep up the good work :speak_cool:

Cheers,

Loic

WOW, Loic!!! Hows the family? I'm glad you stopped by, and even happier that you like this contraption. Thank you for the compliments, and I am touched that so many of you heavy hitters have stopped by, I think I just blushed!!!

Peace,

Alfonso

Wow missed this one entirely. This is really coming together nicely, great idea and awesome execution!

What up Chris,

Thank You! I greatly appreciate them comments. She ain't no jug, but I hope she'll be quite the looker in the end.

Peace,

Alfonso

Keep at it! I like your approach to the center section.

so happy to see progress on this build! Your improvisation and problem solving are great!

AWESOME!

Are you going to reverse pitch one prop?

Thank you Shawn, I am glad your liking it!!!! I'm not sure, yet, if I'm going that far with the mods to include the different rotation on the props. It doesn't really bother me visually, and actually wouldn't be wrong to leave them to spin in the same direction. Not just because it's a total make believe contraption, but I read that one of the P-82 varients didn't have counter rotating props, so who knows, maybe, maybe not!!

Peace,

Alfonso

In the words of MEAT LOAF..."took the words right out of my mouth" Just plain beautiful. Remember, if I can help with any more parts, let me know ;) .............Harv :goodjob:

Far to kind Harvey, Thanks!! I will be hitting you up soon to see what's available... I greatly appeciate it.

Peace,

Alfonso

Great progress! I really like the "assembly line" approach. It gives a very clear picture of your direction. Very precise!

Go Alfonso, go!!!

Great job Bubba! I think the dihedral looks spot on. Noticed that beading set, Dr. Mufenheart at work???

I can't help the assembly line set up, it allows me to think out loud having it all in front of me like that. It turns into musical chairs sometimes as I change the sequence a bit to do what's really important first. Sometimes the "clear direction" you speak of has been to stare out the clear fuselage halves and daze off, then it hits me!!! No not an idea, but the lazy susan I work on as my face meets its... fatherhood, husband, canvas painting, vegetarian cooking, modeling, Bro, I need a nap!!

The dihedral is good, Thanks to I Ijesty, and will definately work. It's workin' now just once I get my last cut in the outer panels and center section will finally touch each other proper at the root and not this far away first date gap restriction.

Dr. Mufenhart at work??? Is he ever!! That Mufenhart, I love that guy like my own Brother!!! Sanding pads, beading tool, wooden boxes... etc. I THANK OUR FATHER all the time for the lad!! I have yet to use them though as I gotta get my surfaces done first.

Peace,

Alfonso