PBJ-1H Mitchell in 1/33rd Scale

Bomarc

Derek, you've peaked my curiosity. What aircraft shares the landing gear with the B-25?

Mike

Well Mike, as most members here know, I am very much a Northrop P-61 Black Widow nut (OK, I fess up, a big P-61 nut actually, check out my avatar and signature!), and the P-61 shared the same main wheels as the B-25 and B-26 aircraft (the B-26 being particularly close to the Black Widow as far as the main gear in general goes!). I am well impressed with your work on your undercarriage units for Mitchell :D.

Derek

Wow- That is gorgeous. I am really impressed with your work. Welcome to LSP. A great place this is.....Looking forward to seeing more of your work. Please do not hesitate to share it with us again!

THOR :speak_cool:

....and the P-61 shared the same main wheels as the B-25 and B-26 aircraft (the B-26 being particularly close to the Black Widow as far as the main gear in general goes!).

Well, as the German guard in the movie "Stalag 17" would say, "Ach-So"! I never clued in that the P-61 used the same wheels as a B-25/26. No wonder they look huge on a Black Widow (or small on a B-25, I guess it depends on your point of view).

Thanks again fellas for the welcome. I'm good for one of these epics about every couple of years, so I'll definitely post here when I start another. I'll be like Ironwing Geoff and keep a dual citizenship between forums. :thumbsup:

My wife got a new camera for her birthday. The first round of pics posted above came from it, so I'd like to share another round as I experiment, this time the underside. Some close-ups of the U-cart for you Derek. I love landing gear assemblies, and tend to save those for last on a build. One thing I notice now that I have access to a decent camera, extreme close-ups reveal the paper nature of the model, which may detract to some, but I think it has character. I hope you agree:

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

More in the next post....

Mike

Noting the paper nature of the model takes nothing away from it...if anything it just adds an order of magnitude to the Wow! factor...whatever the medium we work in, there are always 'natures' of some sort but it the end we usually manage to pass the duck test i.e. if it walks like one, quacks like one and does other stuff like one, there it probably is one - and your model is very much a PBJ-1...

I'm on dial-up here and keep losing the text box as each pic trickles through - each new image just inspires me to down tools and do some more modelling...

Mike,

Thank you for the additional pictures (it is still an awsome build, regardless of what material it is made from). I like undercarriages as well - you can really go to town on them if you so wish. Below is a picture of a main wheel and gear leg set up that you will be very familiar with - except that it belongs to the P-61B Black widow currently undergoing restoration at the MAAM in the USA.

post-596-1274269180.jpg

Cheers

Derek

WOW! That really is the same strut (lord knows I looked at the B-25 assembly enough times). I guess it was an "off-the-shelf" item. Thanks Derek!

Mike

Excellent work! I will be in Poland this Summer and may bring a 'book' or two. I actually have built a few diorama and fire apparatus from paper. I got nowhere near the nice results (could be I was using simple kits from ABC Magazine from the Czech Republic).

Regards,

Did u know there was a 33rd paper kit of a B-17G.Thougth about doing one.But did one in vac.

Was wondering if u thought about doing something that big as to the 25.

Thanks Larry. If you're referring to the GPM kit:

gpm_0016.jpg

I have it, but it was one of GPM's earlier efforts and will take some work to make it right. Some of the printed colors are rather "cartoonish". Now, I also have a later kit by GPM:

gpm_0200.jpg

Much better graphics and details. If I were to do a large bomber, this would be the kit. But I have to say the Mitchell was plenty big for me as it was. I may go the other direction for the next build.

If you really want big, GPM also makes a 1/33rd scale B-52:

img_105667_20858937_0.jpg

How cool is that?

Mike