WNW SE-5a

LSP_Ron

Thanks, Here are some pics. I didn't do a laminated prop. All the pics I've seen of the four bladed prop don't show any evidence of lamination, only dark wood grain.

The instructions show to rig the rudder peddles from the peddles through under the seat. This is virtually impossible to do? the rudder peddles are attached to the lower wing. The seat is attached to the **** pit which gets assembled into the fuse. When everything is assembled ready to rig, you have very limited access to the peddles to rig them. I am stumped how a person is supposed to add this rigging yet keep their sanity?

P5230004.jpg

P5230001.jpg

P5230002.jpg

P5230005.jpg

cockpit as **** pit is swearing?!

Thats bollocks

aha bollocks is not swearing!

Great build mate. very nice

I could re-program the forum to replace that word with something silly instead of asterisks but that would mean that cockpit would become something like "pretty flowers pit" instead. :speak_cool:

The woodgrain looks fantastic, Ron!

Thanks, Here are some pics. I didn't do a laminated prop. All the pics I've seen of the four bladed prop don't show any evidence of lamination, only dark wood grain.

The instructions show to rig the rudder peddles from the peddles through under the seat. This is virtually impossible to do? the rudder peddles are attached to the lower wing. The seat is attached to the **** pit which gets assembled into the fuse. When everything is assembled ready to rig, you have very limited access to the peddles to rig them. I am stumped how a person is supposed to add this rigging yet keep their sanity?

Great progress Ron. :unsure:

The wood grain on the prop is very convincing.

A thought about the rudder pedal wires. Any mileage in adding the wires to the bottom of the seat assembly so that they appear to attach to the rudder pedals? Is that a possibilty?

Using thin wire instead of thread would give you the rigidity for them to protrude and look like they reach the pedals......just a thought. :clap2:

Anyhoo, the cockpit will look splendid once you've got everything together.

:lol:

Thanks all, I made a lot of progress earlier in the week but haven't had time to post progress. Just got back this afternoon from a 12 hour round trip to attend a funeral.

The cockpit and fuse went together without a fuss. I didn't bother with rudder wires etc as you wouldn't see them once assembled anyway. The fit of parts is great but tight! many parts need a brush with an emery board to create a little relief so they are not so tight.

P5240002.jpg

P5240004.jpg

P5240003.jpg

P5240005.jpg

P5240007.jpg

The ammo feed and gun mount that assembles into the upper cockpit area does not quit fit into the fuse. I couldn't figure out a solution other than using a razor saw to cut the front off. Not a big deal as it will never be seen once assembled. Just a slight oversight in the engineering.

P5250008.jpg

P5250009.jpg

P5250010.jpg

P5250011.jpg

The cowl will need work. It does not fit well. With a little pressure you can close the gap but I will still have to add card to the bottom edges so they meet the fuse. Note that the cowl is not removable as far as I can tell. It can be displayed on or off but once on it's on for good. The shrouds that cover the cylinder heads need to be put on with the engine in place. The instructions do not show this. If you follow the instructions your stuck with the cowl off. Once glued to the cowl there is no getting the cowl on the engine. Not a big deal to me, I want mine assembled on so I'll mount the cowl then the shrouds.

The inner wing struts fit great. I was concerned I would have a heck of a time mounting the upper wing to the strut but that's not going to be the case. The struts have great fitting positive slots in the fuse in wing that automatically set the angle of them. There is no room for error. Very impressive engineering done here.

P5250014.jpg

That is it for now.

thanks for looking

Ron

Ron,

It's Really starting to look like a plane now.. I am curious to know what brand of scotch you'll be dri nking while sorting out the rigging, I want to buy stock in that company first ! Glenfiddich is going to make a killing when I try my first bipe and rigging :m0152:

Actually Good scotch aside, I'm sure youll handel it very well. The wood grain effect came out really nicely as did you modifications to the cowl etc.

Great progress, and very clean work as usual.

Paul

:speak_cool:

Ron,

It's Really starting to look like a plane now.. I am curious to know what brand of scotch you'll be dri nking while sorting out the rigging, I want to buy stock in that company first ! Glenfiddich is going to make a killing when I try my first bipe and rigging :m0152:

Actually Good scotch aside, I'm sure youll handel it very well. The wood grain effect came out really nicely as did you modifications to the cowl etc.

Great progress, and very clean work as usual.

Paul

:speak_cool:

I have a bottle of Glenfeddich sitting in the pantry from Jan yet to be opened, looks like a perfect occasion.

I don't think it will be that bad, I've built several wood ship models over the years. Compared to them, this is only a few flying wires.

Cheers

Time for an update. Paint is on and it's ready for a gloss coat then decals. I think I have to much color difference between the rib tap and linen color on the undersides but I'll leave as is

Cheers.

P5290002.jpg

P6040005.jpg

P6040006.jpg

P6040007.jpg

Thanks guys. It's been a fun build so far

mmmmm Glenfiddich...

Looking great Ron, is that wrinkle detail on the fuse molded into the kit??? Nice.

I had one of those last night while working on it!

Yes the wrinkles are molded into the kit. They give you two fuses, one with wrinkles and one with out :speak_cool: