Hasegawa Avia S-92

LSP_Kevin

NOTE: this kit was originally part of the Trip to Russville GB, but was moved here after failing to make the deadline.

I chose this kit for this GB for several reasons, the most important of which is that Russ himself gave it to me a year or so ago. Such was the generosity of the man in fact, that during his time here at LSP he sent me, at no cost to me and no little cost to himself, fifteen kits. These included expensive kits that he knew I couldn't afford myself (Dragon Bf 110, Tamiya Zero), and rare kits that he wanted someone to build, not collect (Revell Raiden, Tony). He was one-of-a-kind.

Of course, I also love the 262, having 5 kits in 1/32 and 3 in 1/48. And Adolf Galland is one of my favourite Luftwaffe aces. OK, enough yabber, on to the pics.

The box:
XgyEfz.jpg

Its contents:
5GP1SP.jpg

You get the same old plastic, and even the same old instructions, plus a supplementary sheet for Galland's markings, done in a more modern style.

Trumpeter leftovers:
FYcIB6.jpg

Superscale Decals:
uwAP2z.jpg

Even though the kit already supplies markings for one of Galland's aircraft, I've had this old Superscale sheet for a while, and unlike the Hasegawa sheet, it knows the difference between white and cream. Notice it also has stickers for a Czech Avia - saving those up for another project!

Kev

• 2 months later...
Um... Hi Kev.

Have you managed to find any time to have a go at this one?

Sadly not yet Keith, but thanks for the prod. I feel a bit bad for not getting to this one so far, but have been thinking lately that I might get to start it this weekend. I've been having too much fun bashing away on my Monogram Wildcat, and I didn't want to stymie the momentum I had going. So many models, so little time...

Kev

Hey Kev

I'd wondered where your build had gotten to as well. I've been so busy on mine that I don't get around the other builds as much, but I just read your Wildcat thread..... and you call ME nuts ? ;) (I shamelessly copied all your ref pics) Some awesome fixes in there and that trailing edge rod idea is killer !

Looking forward to your 262 build.

:whistle:

Cheers

Vaughn

Hey Kev

I'd wondered where your build had gotten to as well. I've been so busy on mine that I don't get around the other builds as much, but I just read your Wildcat thread..... and you call ME nuts ? :DodgeBall: (I shamelessly copied all your ref pics) Some awesome fixes in there and that trailing edge rod idea is killer !

Looking forward to your 262 build.

:BANGHEAD2:

Cheers

Vaughn

Thanks Vaughn. I guess that makes us even! I'm really enjoying the FM-2 conversion (there'll be at least one in 1/32 before long), and since I really only have time to work on one kit, that's what's stopped me getting to this one. I'm hoping to finish the former and start the latter soon!

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I don't actually have an update to this build at this stage, but I thought I might interrupt it to show what's been keeping me from it. I've been converting Monogram's ancient (1961!) 1/48 Wildcat into an FM-2, and I finally finished it today. Here's some shots:

SAeFUK.jpg

av0dBC.jpg

MsazfP.jpg

AUQihS.jpg

tzY0yL.jpg

It's not perfect by any means, and for the gory details you can check out the build thread on Britmodeller.

262 coming soon...

Kev

Congrats Kev ! I was following that build... I'm sure you'll be glad to put that one in the showcase and move on to something that hopefully won't fight you every step of the way ! Love the base you made for it too.

Cheers

Vaughn

Thanks fellas. I'm right proud of that little Wildcat, but next time I'll opt for the HobbyBoss kit. I'll be wrestling the Revell 1/32 Wildcat into an FM-2 at some stage, so that should be fun.

In the meantime, I've finally cracked open the 262. This boxing originates from 2000, and even at that stage the moulds were tiring. A bit of flash about, some uncertain fit, and a slightly wobbly feel to the whole thing. I taped the fuselage parts together and test-fitted the Trumpy cockpit tub, and it fits like a dream. The only concern I have is that it looks a bit shallow (but probably isn't). It was at this stage that I remembered maestro Cauchi's twin-262 build from a while back:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=18706

Pure inspiration, and if you haven't seen it before, do yourself a favour and read every update. I'm going to be stealing from Brian's thread mercilessly! But I've decided I'm going to leave the engines and gun bay closed, and concentrate on the wheel bays and surface details. I've got another one of these kits in the stash (plus the Trumpy kit and 2 Revell 2-seaters), so I can take those a bit further if desired. Besides, the Trumpy kit has most of that guff already.

Hopefully some photos in the next update.

Kev

Kev,

The wildcat looks great, congrats.

I think I mentioned I have a Hasegawa 262 on (or rather under) the bench at the moment and Brian's build was truly amazing. I am doing Gallands bird with the decals by Jerry Crandell from his FW190 Vol 2 book. I will resurrect the "beast" in a short while and add to the GB.

Regards,

Kent

Kev,

The wildcat looks great, congrats.

I think I mentioned I have a Hasegawa 262 on (or rather under) the bench at the moment and Brian's build was truly amazing. I am doing Gallands bird with the decals by Jerry Crandell from his FW190 Vol 2 book. I will resurrect the "beast" in a short while and add to the GB.

Regards,

Kent

Cool Kent, looking forward to seeing it! It'll be interesting to see how the Eagle Editions decals for Galland's aircraft compares to the SuperScale ones I have. I'm still in the preliminary research stage, so don't know that much about Galland's 262s yet, but I'm given to understand he flew more than one machine. Certainly, the aircraft depicted by the Hasegawa decals (white '3' of JV44) is different from that depicted by the SuperScale decals (-+->). I guess I've got a bit of reading ahead of me!

Kev

Cool Kent, looking forward to seeing it! It'll be interesting to see how the Eagle Editions decals for Galland's aircraft compares to the SuperScale ones I have. I'm still in the preliminary research stage, so don't know that much about Galland's 262s yet, but I'm given to understand he flew more than one machine. Certainly, the aircraft depicted by the Hasegawa decals (white '3' of JV44) is different from that depicted by the SuperScale decals (-+->). I guess I've got a bit of reading ahead of me!

Kev

Just posted the beginning. Not much so far but at least it is a beginning! According to Jerry the a/c I will be building is the last one he flew and ultimately crash landed, injuring his knee and ending his flying career. Will update the build with more info later. I will post the decals over there for all to see.

regards,

Kent