Miles M-20

spacewolf

I wasn't sure I was getting the lines right so afret more fill and sanding, I shot the fuselage with Mr. Surfacer 1000

post-2514-1277515314.jpg

I'm not sure that I'm satisfied with the curve where the oil cooler intake meets the fuselage but it's close.

post-2514-1277515379.jpg

Size comparison with the old Revel Spitfire. I had thought the nose of the spit would be close but the Lancaster cowling is totally different.

post-2514-1277515466.jpg

A question/request for help.... does anyone out there have pics of the oil cooler area behind the cooler, the flap area. I have searched on airliners.com and done a google search with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Vaughn

I'm working slowly on the other fuselage half, getting a bit bogged down so I needed a change of pace. Wings... we need wings ! I grabbed the old Typhoon kit and cut the wing parts off the tree's. So here we are with one wing top half.

post-2514-1277632943.jpg

Cover your eyes if you're sensitive this is gonna get messy! One of the guys here did up a Kate Torpedo bomber using parts from a Zero. His way of making the wings was amazing so I'm going to try and do a similar job here. First cut is here as to remove the molded in angle to the wing top. Edges are trimmed and support tabs glued in.

post-2514-1277632993.jpg

The wing is glued back together without the angle and the inner section which will not be used cut away.

post-2514-1277633065.jpg

Using a shape finder ribs were glued in to help support the wing and keep everything straight.

post-2514-1277634244.jpg

I got all excited and forgot to take pictures as I was going too fast but here is what I did. I cut through the ribs and wing from root to tip. A spacer was cut, then doubled and glued in. Where the ribs had been cut strips were glued in for support.

post-2514-1277634111.jpg

The wing was puttied and sanded. Wing tip shapes and ailerons are yet to be fixed but I'm pleased with progress tonight.

post-2514-1277634349.jpg

That's fantastic work Vaughn! I find myself looking forward to your every update now.

That was Loic in his famous Carrier GB entry:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=21139

Fantastic build that.

Kev

That's the one Kev, jaw dropping build and such a great finish with the canopy ! His work is part of the reason I'm doing this build as I am. It's intimidating to cut up major parts and modify them, but if you plan it out it actually works rather well.

Glad you are enjoying... so what aircraft are YOU going to cut up to get what you want ? :)

Cheers

Vaughn

Just a quick update. After building up the tip edge and trimming the trailing edge I shot it with primer. There is still sanding to do to smooth the surface more but it's coming along. Gun bay, tip light and aileron are rough sketched in place.

post-2514-1277674700.jpg

Cheers

Vaughn

Going nuts here, on a roll and grooving to 80's music ! (A little Van Halen never hurt anybody !)

Starting with the lower wing and this time I've taken pictures ! Ribs were added again for support...

post-2514-1277678251.jpg

Then using a straight edge and a sharp # 11 blade the cut was started.

post-2514-1277678325.jpg

Once I was close to cutting through I flipped the wing over and cut through the ribs, then finished the cut on the wing.

post-2514-1277678394.jpg

Because the wing has such a deep profile a tapered insert had to be built up on the leading edge.

post-2514-1277678804.jpg

I made this extra thick as I'm setting the edge of the lower wing back a bit so as to be able to round the leading edge.

post-2514-1277678904.jpg

Once glued and sanded this will look good.

post-2514-1277678958.jpg

Good Stuff Vaughn. I really like the nose.

Glad you are enjoying... so what aircraft are YOU going to cut up to get what you want ? :whistle:

I don't know about Kev, but I was thinking of chopping up a PCM Ta 152 to see if I could make a...

Ta 152? :thumbsup:

Good Stuff Vaughn. I really like the nose.

I don't know about Kev, but I was thinking of chopping up a PCM Ta 152 to see if I could make a...

Ta 152? :whistle:

:thumbsup: .... I have that kit too... go for it and I'll take notes before I build mine !!!