DaveJ

F-4E Phantom II

I haven't been building anything lately. Not even poking around at any of the stalled builds on the bench. I'd allowed my "real" life get in the way. The passing of my friend Russ has reminded me that life is way too short to worry about the small stuff! He was always pretty good at occasionally poking me back into action. Here he is, doing again from the beyond!! :speak_cool:

I haven't decided what markings this new Rhino will wear. I have a lot of decals for E Phantoms to choose from. It will have a resin cockpit, resin wheels, resin intakes, resin burner cans, Eduard BigEd PE set and anything else I can throw at it. This will be my first attempt at a SEA type camo scheme, so that'll be interesting... :wacko:

Obligatory box shot:

post-3154-1273979191.jpg

I hope to make a start soon!

The passing of my friend Russ has reminded me that life is way too short to worry about the small stuff!

Well said Dave. Looking forward to it!

Kev

Not so much an update as a bit of an attempt on my part to keep this project from falling aside as so many have of late.

To start with, a kit had to be pulled from the pile:

ThePile.jpg

Then some rummaging through drawers to gather the other essentials:

Goodies.jpg

Ah. Those should at least get me started... :closedeyes:

A quick shot of the breakdown of the cockpit set:

PitBreakdown.jpg

I'm happy to report that I'm actually inside my hobby room as I post this! Maybe an actual start soon?

Jeez guys! :speak_cool:

I do like the Tamiya kit though...

No I have the rest!

I think you are actually running a hobby store!!!!

Well at least you don't have a problem with "spares"

Phil :speak_cool:

I think you are actually running a hobby store!!!!

Well at least you don't have a problem with "spares"

Phil :speak_cool:

That is exactly what She Who Must Be Obeyed says!

Barry :)

I guess it's time I shared a bit of progress, eh?

I started with the intakes, so lets take a peek:

DmoldIntakes1.jpg

These are the Dmold intakes. From everything I've read these are from the same masters as the CE intakes. I'd have to say they are darn close if they aren't! Cast in white resin also so you needn't sweat trying to get a good coat of paint all the way inside of them. The casting is very *very* good with refined, crisp surface details. They mate up with the kit splitter plates with ease.

SplitterFit1.jpg

It is also very easy to prepare the kit fuselage to receive the resin.

Before:

Before.jpg

After:

After.jpg

I did paint the interior of the intakes with Mr Surfacer white primer just to add a bit of gloss to the finish, if only at the front end.

Intake.jpg

That yellowish glow at the bottom is from light bleeding through the unpainted end. Won't be an issues once they're installed in the kit.

A quick test fit reveals that, true to the CE version, there will be a small gap to fill. I'm not sure if this is how they're molded or shrinkage, but I had the same situation the last time I built a Phantom with the CE intakes. This gap seems a bit smaller IIRC. A bit of styrene strip will see that fixed.

TestFitOne.jpg

Next up: Work on the cockpit begins!

Nice work Dave. Good to see you making some progress on this one. I'm really struck by how much the resin intakes just look like plastic parts. I guess it's a testament to their quality.

Kev