R.I.P Ruzlkampf (Russ Camp) - You will be missed

MiaKonnect

I am shocked and saddened by this news.

I corresponded with him frequently and will miss his humour, generosity and his extreme joie de vivre. Always reminded me that the whole thing was about having some fun. He certainly squeezed every last ounce from life.

Condolences to his family, colleagues and friends.

Matt

Although the many heartfelt testimonials here indicate clearly that Russ contributed much more than models to our group, a thoughtful browse through of his work might help us to remember him in an appropriate way. By posting links below, please add to the following list any significant threads that we've missed:

Spitfire XIV build April 6, 2008 – June 29, 2008

Spitfire I/II build June 30, 2008 – August 31, 2008

Bf 110 G-2 build June 30, 2008 – August 16, 2008

XF5U-1 "Flying Pancake" build September 2, 2008 - August 19, 2009

1/24-scale Bf 109 G-6 build September 15, 2008 – December 14, 2008

PA-18 Super Cub and LS8 sailplane build October 22, 2008 - November 2, 2008

A-4G Skyhawk build November 5, 2008 - January 16, 2009

F-4S Phantom build November 16, 2008 January 15, 2009

Ki-84 build March 2, 2009 – May 9, 2009

Ki-43 build March 9, 2009 – April 5, 2009

P-38J 'Miss V' build April 1, 2009 - April 20, 2009

P-51A 'Flung Dung' build April 12, 2009 - December 26, 2009

Me 262 B-1a/U2 nightfighter build April 20, 2009 - July 22, 2009

J8M1 build May 9, 2009 – May 22, 2009

Ka-1 autogyro build May 23, 2009 - June 24, 2009 (unfinished)

SR-71 build August 21, 2009 - April 3, 2010 (unfinished)

Fokker Dr.I (Jacobs) build September 20, 2009 - October 6, 2009

Fokker Dr.I (Richthofen) build September 25, 2009 - October 6, 2009

Fokker D.VII build September 25, 2009 - February 26, 2010 (unfinished)

Fokker D.VIII build September 25, 2009 - November 5, 2009

F8F racer 'Conquest 1' build December 7, 2009 - December 27, 2009

Bf 109 K-4 build December 27, 2009 - December 31, 2009

P-51D 'Nooky-Booky IV' build December 29, 2009 - January 11, 2010

Bf 110 G-4 build January 12, 2010 - March 14, 2010

Norwegian F-5A build February 1, 2010 (unfinished)

Norwegian F-16A build February 1, 2010 - March 15, 2010 (unfinished)

Norwegian F-104 build February 1, 2010 (unfinished)

How to Make Your Own Decals February 26, 2010 - March 5, 2010 (unfinished)

Sadly, and with respect,

Charles Metz

Edited by CharlesMetz

Thank you for that Charlie...I personally would like to see such threads in some form of permanantly accessible archive file so that his efforts may always be an inspiration to fellow modellers everywhere.

Derek

Thank you for that Charlie...I personally would like to see such threads in some form of permanantly accessible archive file so that his efforts may always be an inspiration to fellow modellers everywhere.

Derek

I agree Derek. I was able to learn so much from all of his builds. The last thing he sent me were the plans for his G-4 conversion and an awesome SR-71 painting. What a great guy. Being able to easily revisit his work would be very inspirational.

A group build to honor the "group build master" would be great also. Count me in.

Derek

I agree with you Derek. There are a lot of modelers like yourself that can be said they are masters at the craft. l had mentioned to the other staff members we should make an area where people like Russ where we can look up all their build threads to get ideas and inspiration from them.

Like many other here, I'm greatly surprised to be reading this thread. The thing I'll remember about Russ was his ability to keep it light while explaining how he worked his model-building magic. 54 is too young. RIP Russ.

Another member of our little extended family called home.

Count me in for the 'Remember Russ' groupbuild.

I'd be up for that. I think I'd build my MiG21 for that.

Sheeesh, it's hard to believe he won't post here anymore. I loved his work. :)

This news just really bothers me to hear. Russ was one who, without hesitation, sent me jpeg’s of the five color lozenge he had created, for my personal use on my Fokker. I’m stunned and deeply saddened by this tragic news. A very talented guy with a great disposition, and a good sense of humor. I’ll miss his inputs to this site a lot. Good bye Russ, and thank you for being you!

I checked closely, and there are no appropriate emoticons for me to use.

I asked what happened and got this reply:

Hi Rick,

Well, Russ works second shift(and i use the phase second shift loosely as he was a salaried employee but just preferred to work by himself at night), but we would see him daily as he came in before we left for the day. He had gotten sick last week - and was looking super sweaty, but we passed it off as .. oh he's just sick. Well this week he was also super sweaty but, again we just passed it off as it must be hot outside or he must have been working on his volkswagens or something. He went out to grab dinner at the local subway restaurant and went back to his car, started eating, and they think he had a heart attack. Someone walking by noticed he was slumped over and unresponsive and called 911. He was pronounced dead before they could get him to the hospital. Needless to say we were blown away by the news when we came in on wednesday morning. He was just an all around nice guy, walking encyclopedia(he has a ph.d!)... would do anything for anyone. It's really sad because he was a bit of an introvert, he wasn't even close with his brother who lives here in san diego and even works at the same company (he wasn't even russ's emergency contact person)... So I don't know if there will be a real service for him yet or not, so we're having our own little celebration of Russ on Monday for him.

I think what people here will remember most about him is his models (hence I joined this forum just to let peole know what happened)... he took the time to make a model for almost everyone based on what their hobbies were (cars, planes, locomotives, some super detailed engine models for the drag racer guys)...

He was one of a kind...

Mia Knecht

There is nothing to add here.....

Rick.

Although the many heartfelt testimonials here indicate clearly that Russ contributed much more than models to our group, a thoughtful browse through of his work might help us to remember him in an appropriate way. Please add to the following list any significant threads that I've missed:

There was also his F-4S, I really admired they way he tackled the slats, no searching for the Cutting Edge set, just went about making them without breaking stride, it'd be nice to see an edited version in the Articles section: http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=21968