Spinning props

LSP_K2

After having Foiler suggest that I do so, I've decided that it's time to share with you guys something I've been wanting to post for quite some time. My spin (so to speak), on spinning prop simulation. Much as Foiler stated, I first started pondering this dilemma after exposure to the PE spinning prop products. The full circle of clear plastic has its own uses, but I prefer this approach. My method is fairly straightforward. First I draw the prop pattern, in this case for a 1:48 Mustang using my AutoCAD program. This is then printed full size on regular print paper. This is the pattern for the four bladed P-51D prop, drawn this afternoon. Centered lines guide my not so steady hand while airbrushing central patterns. More to follow.

post-8159-1273532651.jpg

OK, now I've copied and pasted several duplicate images (in this case, 1:48 scale), then printed full size so that I'll have spares should I mangle one or more. Next step will be to tape clear plastic sheet to pattern to act as guide to cut out prop. Stay tuned, almost there!

post-8159-1273598917.jpg

Bored out of my mind today, so I naturally couldn't resist playing around with this illustration! This is the general idea; darker in the middle areas of blade, softer fading of colors towards the extremities. The real deal will look much better than this of course, (I hope)! :speak_cool: I was wrong! :please:

post-8159-1273605469.jpg

As is typical, I got a bit too heavy handed with the black. I’m going to create a permanent template for the black part; I always mess it up! Fortunately, this is for one of my den fighters, so no big deal. Almost finished. :BANGHEAD2:

post-8159-1273976186.jpg

Thanks Harv, I really appreciate it. Perhaps after I create the blade spraying template, I'll post a photo to show how it can really add a nice dimension to an in flight display.

Ever try taking a pic of the prop, bring it into Photoshop, using blur effect, then printing it out onto a clear sheet? Hadn't thought about till now, but might be an interesting exercise...

Ever try taking a pic of the prop, bring it into Photoshop, using blur effect, then printing it out onto a clear sheet? Hadn't thought about till now, but might be an interesting exercise...

Yes I have, I just got that idea recently from Foiler. I'd prefer, for the time being anyway, to create my own. However, a Photoshopped version of what I did in post #3 now that I'm thinking about it, may just do the trick rather nicely Ray. I'll probably play with that idea some. The biggest problem is, though I can control opacity rather easily in Photoshop, I'll then have to paste that onto clear plastic. The simple act of printing on white paper nullifies the opacity! :( Not real sure my work printer will print on clear plastic, but it will print onto clear decal film! We may just be onto something here buddy! In the long run, I have roughly thirty 1:48 scale WWII fighters I have decided to "sacrifice" for my air combat den project, so I'll be needing lots more of these, and I'm just now at the beginning of the pile. This is how the first one turned out.

post-8159-1274026638.jpg

That looks pretty darn cool!!! I would try one with the entire circle including the clear areas instead of just cutting out the props as another possible option.

Both my inkjet and laser print onto clear film (transparency film) is why I thought of it as a possibility.

• 7 years later...

Yes I have, I just got that idea recently from Foiler. I'd prefer, for the time being anyway, to create my own. However, a Photoshopped version of what I did in post #3 now that I'm thinking about it, may just do the trick rather nicely Ray. I'll probably play with that idea some. The biggest problem is, though I can control opacity rather easily in Photoshop, I'll then have to paste that onto clear plastic. The simple act of printing on white paper nullifies the opacity! sad.gif Not real sure my work printer will print on clear plastic, but it will print onto clear decal film! We may just be onto something here buddy! In the long run, I have roughly thirty 1:48 scale WWII fighters I have decided to "sacrifice" for my air combat den project, so I'll be needing lots more of these, and I'm just now at the beginning of the pile. This is how the first one turned out.

This is a good solution to the problem. At first glance the prop actually looks like it is in motion/ Amazing.

One can say it is a trick that fooled my eyes but isn't that the purpose? 

The idea is to make the edges appear blurred, as if they are in motion. You did it.

I'm going to try this. Many thanks for the ideas.

Stephen

Edited by ssculptor

Guest The Southern Bandit

Its all getting there for effects, but surely if you want to replicate a spinning prop, then the best way is to actually make it spin ... trust me its far less troublesome and quicker in most cases and will look far more realistic.

Plenty of ideas in prop spin now in all scales, especially 1/32 where it is more easier to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDgzE0DnwBY

Look for "pager motors" in the surplus stores. They make cell phones vibrate, and if you want a small aircraft animated, they do it well. They are almost too small for most 1/32 planes, but fit reasonably well in the smaller scales.

Tnarg