How do you paint a radial Engine???

Guest Nigelr32

Guest Nigelr32

Please help me with a little guidance here.

I'm building my first Radial Engine, for my Trumpy Swordfish, and have suddenly realised I have no idea where to start to get the effects some of you guys get on here?

I dont have Alclad, but do have Gunze, Humbrol, Revell and Tamiya paints in Enamel and Acrylic.

Please help. I really don't know where to start??

Please help me with a little guidance here.

I'm building my first Radial Engine, for my Trumpy Swordfish, and have suddenly realised I have no idea where to start to get the effects some of you guys get on here?

I dont have Alclad, but do have Gunze, Humbrol, Revell and Tamiya paints in Enamel and Acrylic.

Please help. I really don't know where to start??

OK, here we go.

Do you have "rock solid" pictures and research information for this motor? That has to be first.

Next, apply the correct base colors for: the crank case, cylinders, rocker box covers, push rods, etc.

You will be using your enamel paints for this.

When the enamel colors are down, use some clear flat top coat to seal everything.

Now, using Black "water color paint", make-up a watery black wash coat and apply to any place on the motor that oil and blow-by would collect.

The water color paint will not effect the enamel paint.

When the wash coat is dry, use a damp Q-tip to remove just "the top" of the wash coat.

Finally, dry-brush some silver enamel over the motor to pick-up the detailed raised surfaces.

We all have our methods but this is generally how I do it. Good luck.

002-7.jpg

Switch on, Quarter Scale Wiggy