Arado 234

Jeff Herne

ar234_001.jpg

This is a hybrid vacuform and resin Arado 234. I did a trade with Radu almost 2 years ago, he tossed in some resin parts from his kit to help this one along. The cockpit is resin, as are the nacelles, gear bays, and control surfaces. The wings and tailplane are vac, as is the nose glazing. I had a helluva time with the rivets, they're not perfect, but I'd had enough....

Here's the cockpit before I closed it up...the seat came from a Trumpeter 262, I added the armrests, and the belts are Radu's of course.

ar234_002.jpg

J

Jeff,

Very nice 234 indeed and the resin pit from radu was a very nice touch as well.As for the vac parts.can help u out for future replies if anyone asks u.If the plastic is a yellowish or light tan colored vac parts wise.She's a ID one.If the plastic is some what a bright white or clean white.She's Combat.But to be honest.There both the same here and there.

U'er 234 turn out very good.And i'll be using u'er pic's and info for my 234 later on this year.She'll be a four engined job and might be a nightfighter.Larry

Ya know Paul, I think it was a Combat kit, judging from the plastic, but it coulda been an older ID kit, hard to tell... :evil_laugh:

It was an ID models kit.

You did a great job, consodering how atrocious the ID models kit is. Well done!

Radu

Thanks guys!

Larry, PM your address, I'll send you whatever 234 references I have. Best to do it now while I have everything still laying about.

Radu, I wasn't sure. I wish it was one of your kits, I'm sure it would have been far more enjoyable than this beasty was.

Truth is - it wasn't bad. I lucked out getting the fuselage and nose to match up, I ended up doing a full-length lateral bulkhead to widen it a touch (each fuselage half was flat-sanded and sandwiched between a sheet of styrene, then sanded smooth. This also gave me something to attach the gear bay resin parts to, and provided a strong anchor point for the wings as well.

I've really caught the bug...my next project is a WNW D.Va for FSM, but after that, its back to vac. I'll probably do the A-26 since Larry just finished Flak Bait, then I'm hoping to dive into this B-24 project.

Jeff

That looks very nice Jeff, but...

I can't really get a good look at it, so you might have to box it up and send it on down to me. :BANGHEAD2:

You know I'm kidding, right?

I'm already looking forward to your next projects... mine seem to have taken a break

I lucked out getting the fuselage and nose to match up

That is not luck, it is witchcraft. :ph34r: The ID models has so many shape issues...

When I made the patterns for the resin kit, I intended to start with the vacuform parts. In the end I did not use them at all because they were useless - that is how you got them. :)

Radu

It was a strange shape...wider at the top than the bottom! I ended up flat-sanding the upper edge on a belt sander to bring them back, then used the heavy sheet between the halves. That allowed me to start at the tail and work my way forward, gluing as I went. By the time I got to the nose, I knew what I had to have in terms of width and shape.

In the end, I got the bottom to match up pretty well, and it was pure luck that your resin parts fit as well as they did.

I really didn't have any trouble getting things to match up.

Radu can get a chuckle out of my next project, an IAR 80 that he tells me doesn't even come close! I'm gonna try anyway...

J

Jeff,

As to shapes and the way some vacs are made.Alittle hit and miss never hurts to make it better.Wait until u tackle that A-26 and B-24.As for the sheet being added between the fuselage halves.I use strips of 1/8th balsawood that i glue to the insides of the halves.Then i use a palm sander to bring them back to so the halves will lay flat and do the way u did as to gluing them in place.Larry