RE Devastator

pappy1

So SSculptor, if i understand correctly, the only way to save the modelers of planet earth is.....to get the 1/32 Devastator out!

Mr. Song, this is your chance to save planet earth.

Bring out the Terran Devastator Defence Force!

MBB

Yes, Mr. Song,

I agree wholeheartedly with Mr. Beekveld. We must all join in to fight these evil Aliens and foil their dastardly plot!

In the name of Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers I implore you to take your place as one of the defenders of Planet Earth and have Trumpeter produce a kit of the Douglas TBD Devastator in 1/32 scale.

While you are at it, a 1/32 P-61 Black Widow would be nice too.

I thank you and the people of this entire planet thank you, :BANGHEAD2:

Stephen Auslender

Pappy:

That is a B e a u t i f u l picture of a TBD. I think Mr. Song's heart strings will be touched by that picture alone. What is this about the A6 Intruder being a rumor? I thought that was a false rumor about the rumor.

MtFlyer.

As far as the P-61 goes,

One of the last INTACT P-61s on the planet is even sitting in China..Heck I could give them directions to it and Im in OREGON! Hopefully they would bring a few cameras, a tape measure.. stereo lithography imaging devices...and get the shapes right! At one time suposedly the Aircraft was for sale for $2M If I ever win the lottery and can find somebody with the authority to sell it.. Its going to be in Oregon :)

Paul

Guest Nigelr32

A 32nd scale P-61???? YES YES YES!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!! :) :)

Then a B-17 would do nicely thankyou..... Oh and a FW 189???

Mr Song or anybody, Please when is there going to be a 1/32 Devastator. We heard it was coming 2 ? years ago.

I think it would be a great seller along with a Japanese Kate or Val. Did it die a still birth? :) , or is it still a possibility :) .......Pappy1

Until a kit actually shows up in 1:32 scale, you or I will never know what kind of seller it would be. I know that I really want one, but just one, an easy to assemble accurate kit, with decent wartime markings, open canopy, folding wings, and a torpedo. I'd pay top dollar for it too, if it was accurate and easy to assemble, up to $200.00. I'm not sure that others would be willing to pay as much as I am. That being said, I wouldn't pay $40 for Dragon's excellent and accurate Bf-110 kit, or Revell's equally amazing kit of the kit Ju-88, nothing wrong with kits, and I am happy for others that they are on the market, but not something that I am interested in.

I know that I really want one, but just one, an easy to assemble accurate kit, with decent wartime markings, open canopy, folding wings, and a torpedo. I'd pay top dollar for it too, if it was accurate and easy to assemble, up to $200.00.

Same but I would get two. One with yellow wings and one in war time colors :speak_cool:

It's listed in Pocketbond's (UK distributor) 2010 catalogue for a release this year. The Devastator might've been faster, better, flown by handsome Yanks (as opposed to Brits with yellow teeth and bad breath), etc., but the Swordfish was one of the truely iconic planes of WWII, and how many can you say that about?

Hmmm.... What does all this mean? Is there a TBD Devastator coming from Trumpeter or not? Clearly it is listed in various lists and assigned a number-- both here in the US and in the UK. But then Mr. Song posts here saying that one was never promised. But I go back and re-read Mr. Song's post and it may not be clear as to whether one is coming out from Trumpeter or not. What is a person to believe?

"I want a cheeseburger and a hamburger and french fries and a coke and.."

"Shut up Spalding.. you'll have nothing and like it!"..

Sometimes i feel like our hopes and dreams get beat down like ole' Judge Smails beat Spalding down at Good old Bushwood county club.. but we can always have the dream!!

"I want a Devestator and a Val and a Kate and a P-61 and a "

"shut up Jerry.. you'll have nothing and like it!"..

So we keep asking and trying.. sometimes beg and whine.. maybe squirt a few tears.. and continue to dream!

And after all our hard work, we go back to the model companies and ask..

"Hey, (insert model company here), hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And they say, "Oh, uh, there won't be any Devestator.. or Val... or Kate... or even a P-61 for that matter, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. :BANGHEAD2:

A thought occurred to me late last night. About 2 years ago off of the Jaluit atoll 2 TBD 's were discovered , and have since been photographed and mapped. It was rumored that the planes were going to be recovered and one given to the local island government for museum exhibition to help tourism, and the other was going to the U.S. for restoration and display.

The last I heard the outfit named TIGHAR is doing all the work and research and the TBD 's are expected to be recovered at any time except that they keep hitting snag after snag .Either its over local ownership rights or the U.S. Navy still trying to claim the plane for themselves, delay after delay keeps occurring. Here is my point perhaps Trumpeter was waiting for one or both of these Devastators to be brought up and then release their kit while interest ( Not to mention NEWS!!! coverage ) is high. Well anyhoo just a guess.You guys should check out TIGHAR 's web site they have some really good photos of the 2 TBD 's and they are in remarkable condition.......Pappy1

Pappy.. just took a look see at that sight... awesome stuff! that thing is in REMARKABLE condition for having been on the bottom for 68 years! would love to see them haul it up and get it restored no matter where it ends up.

A thought occurred to me late last night. About 2 years ago off of the Jaluit atoll 2 TBD 's were discovered , and have since been photographed and mapped. It was rumored that the planes were going to be recovered and one given to the local island government for museum exhibition to help tourism, and the other was going to the U.S. for restoration and display.

The last I heard the outfit named TIGHAR is doing all the work and research and the TBD 's are expected to be recovered at any time except that they keep hitting snag after snag .Either its over local ownership rights or the U.S. Navy still trying to claim the plane for themselves, delay after delay keeps occurring. Here is my point perhaps Trumpeter was waiting for one or both of these Devastators to be brought up and then release their kit while interest ( Not to mention NEWS!!! coverage ) is high. Well anyhoo just a guess.You guys should check out TIGHAR 's web site they have some really good photos of the 2 TBD 's and they are in remarkable condition.......Pappy1

Nice conspiracy theory....I like it! :BANGHEAD2:

Had not heard they were trying to bring both up, maybe I'll see one at Pensacola before I die. If you think of it they are salvaging around 1-2% of all TBDs ever built! (2 out of what 129 total and maybe 100 left at teh time of Pearl Harbor)

As one who has followed the continuing saga of the Jaluit TBD's, I believe that the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola is slated to get one. It will be the deeper Devastator. The other TBD will be left in place for the benefit of tourist divers-- something I am not too happy about. However, that was the agreement that was worked out with the local government in order to get the rights to the one. TIGHAR is recovering the TBD for the Pensacola museum and no one else. The point being that all arrangements are in place for the recovery as far as the US Navy, the Navy Historic people, and the local government goes. They have made all the preliminary "recon" trips to the site, including one last summer. All that remains is the logistics and, more importantly, the money to pay for the recovery. I am quite pleased that the TBD will be going to the Pensacola museum. It is the best place for it and it will be well cared for-- witness the F4F's and SBD's brought up from Lake Michigan. Once put on display, it will be the only surviving TBD (out of the water) anywhere.