Dragon Bf-110C

LSP_Ron

I started this kit a few weeks ago. The pit has taken me an unusual long time to make. Lots of detail painting etc. I used the Edward detail set (not all of it). I could have added a lot of wiring etc. to the pit but having just finished my Tamiya Spit with all that engine wiring, I just didn't feel like it.

The kit instructions are absolutely horrible so it pays of to do some on line reading on what others that have built this kit have found.

Thanks for looking

Ron

P3120001.jpg

P3120002.jpg

P3120003.jpg

P3120004.jpg

Guest Nigelr32

I bought this kit a few weeks ago, just to add to my stash, before I REALLY want it, then find it's unavailable!!

I must say Ron, your work looks great!! It's a real inspiration to see this, and makes me want to start on mine, but I've just started a Junkers 88. :piliot:

Can I ask, what Harnesses have you used? Eduard or Dragon? They look pretty good. Also, may i ask, what colour are your Radio's? I have the Revell(Eduard) set for my '88, and the colour on the radios doesn't appear to be RLM 66??

I have printed off the notes you speak of on the absolutely awful instructions, so if someone reads this in a few months, and finds the notes no longer available, I'll photocopy em for them.

Believe me, there are a lot of notes everyone!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the nice comments

Here is an update. Many have said this kit does not fit that well. Tom Cleavers exact words in his review of this kit are "Overall, this kit is an ill-fitting pain in the posterior which, if you persist with it.."

I actually find the fit is absolutely excellent but... as many have warned the instruction are SO BAD that only the most experienced builder could finish this kit using them, even then you'll be scratching your head on some things. I think Tom C had no pre-warning with the instructions and the way this kit goes together you can build yourself into problems i.e. on wrong part or mis-placed part can chain react into many others not fitting.

I've found most of the tips on line regarding the errors in these instructions extremely valuable. Here is a link to a thread with some of them

<<<< LINK >>>>

But be warned I found many errors in the instructions not mentioned in any article on line.

I had no surprises buttoning up the fuse. Everything fits fine.

P3280007.jpg

The gussets in the wheel wells are a nightmare and I don't recall seeing anyone mention this yet. The parts are numbered incorrectly, the numbers in brackets for the opposite side are completely wrong and there are no numbers provided at all for the inboard gussets. I ended up laying them all out in what I think is the correct sequence and gluing them in one by one. I lost one to the carpet gods though :BANGHEAD2: Sorry that I can't offer which part number goes where because having cut all the parts off the sprues and laying them out on the bench I don't know which part no went where...

P3280004.jpg

The cowls actually do fit with the engines installed but DO NOT follow the instructions on build sequence. I only built the engine crank cases added the front gear housing and the lower oil coolers (which can be seen). I left everthing else off to ensure clearance with the cowl.

For the cowls I first glued the inserts that go behind the exhaust into the lower wing (which are numbered wrong in the instructions). I then inserted the landing gear bay, then the upper rear cowl, upper front cowl, lower front cowl then the inserts around the exhaust. The fit is almost perfect.

P3280006.jpg

P3280005.jpg

Here is a dry fit of everything, so far I've found no need for filler.

P3280003.jpg

Overall the engineering and fit of the kit is excellent but the instructions make this a VERY frustrating build at times. I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out several things that are either not in the instructions or wrong in the instructions. Considering the amount this kit costs and the high quality of fit and engineering I am amazed how poor the instructions are. In 35 years of model building I've never seen anything like it. Who ever wrote them should be fired immediately.

Outstanding work Ron and youre showing great resolve in figureing out those instructions.

For all the extra work youve had to do, the end result looks outstanding.

Keep going and youll have a very very nice model for us all to enjoy!

Paul

:BANGHEAD2:

Ron I am droling over my keyboard beacose of You :speak_cool:

Great cocpit, the detal just amaze me ...

looking forward to see the progres on this build.

P.S What markings u intend to do ?

Dejan

Thanks for the kind words all. Yes I have Brett's comments Kevin :speak_cool: I have them printed off along with several others. I am not sure I'd get through this build with out them.

I will be using the below decal set. I plan on doing the center bird with the white nose, yellow spinner tips and white fuse band all over the standard Green/Green splinter camo.

EC118.gif

More to come when I make some more progress. thanks for looking

Ron