1/16 scale scratch built AT-38B Talon-The Smurf jet is back!

Hi Pete,

I've been wondering where this has been. I just spent 45 minutes going through and catching up, and all I can say is Holy Craparoni, I'm taking up knitting. I've got no words that are adequate to describe this, so I'm going to go off and sit and mumble incoherently in the corner.

This will certainly be your magnum opus for sure.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike!

Awesome to hear from you my friend! Been watching your Felix come together as well...It is another stunner! Just such amazing craftsmanship and technique-

Bet it's a big mamma-jamma too

Cheers

Pete

Thanks gents for all of the encouragement! Hanging in there with me since 2010- Hopefully it wont take another 5 years to finish!

I got the front cockpit glareshied vac'd out and rough cut-

SDC13452_zpsvb8f1jdb.jpg

SDC13453_zpsjjjmqdyl.jpg

...and then I had to wad up a blob of clay and do a quick fit check-

SDC13454_zpsvt36miro.jpg

SDC13455_zps29af0t0s.jpg

SDC13456_zpsg0zq8w6o.jpg

The large yellow mask covers the clear area of the windscreen (I've also got a yellow mask around the windscreen bow that will be metal)

The clear plastic areas that are exposed will be covered in aluminum sheet- Just temporary masks to help me get my head around it.

SDC13451_zpso05f8y33.jpg

Cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

Guest Uncle Fester

Michelangelo had his Sistine Chapel ceiling, DaVinci his Mona Lisa. 

Pete has his 1/16 scale AT-38.  An inspiration if ever there was one. 

Matters not how long it takes, the Pope will have to wait. 

For the modelers, there are kit builders;  There are deeply passionate detailers and.....sigh.....deeply disturbed, but no less passionate creative types who make the rest of us look like we nail shaggy boards to sticks and call them birdhouses.  Such is the bane of genius. 

genius
[ ˈjēnyəs ]
NOUN
  1. exceptional intellectual or creative power or other natural ability:
    "she was a teacher of genius"
    synonyms: brilliance · intelligence · intellect · ability · cleverness · brains ·

ADJECTIVE informal
very clever or ingenious:
"a genius marketing ploy"

Pete matches this description and in years to come, perhaps, when sadly he has shuffled off his mortal coil (a long time away, I should hope) people will look at his creation and study it and examine it and praise it for its fidelity.   People will smile when they see it;  Those who understand what it takes to make a replica of such magnitude.  Or, people who just appreciate the heart and passion that went into it.

This is the way I felt when I saw the massive Yamato battleship model in Japan.  In utter awe over the complexity, devotion to detail and accuracy of such an undertaking.  

Artist, craftsman, artisan, brilliantly-minded creator......I cannot say you are unequaled but I can say that you are at the very top of a small group of people who master such things.  Trial and error, frustration, but in the end, great joy and satisfaction in saying and knowing that you made that (Here that "Mr" President?).  From a mere kernel of an idea to a tangible gem that everyone can look at in awe. 

I have to say thank you for all the explanation and sharing you give while doing this.  It's got all the makings of a NOVA TV special built into it and I wish they would do an episode on the people who can craft such things.  The research; The time-consuming computer work, the constant measuring, comparing, and of course, the fabricating from everyday materials into something that no one would ever have imagined it being used for. 

For a modeler of Pete's caliber, one has to be part draftsman, part theoretician, part machinist, part materials expert, part artist and part engineer. 

Doesn't hurt to know how to use glue, tape, putty, heat, paint, etc. either.  Just the count of different skills involved is quite extraordinary.

Pete, maybe it'll be a family heirloom (and it should be) but someday, if not sooner, it should sit proudly in a museum where everyone can see it. 

Thank you for sharing all the updates. 

Hi Todd (Fester :) )

wow my friend! Not sure what to say except "thank you".

I am extremely lucky to have  been mentored by everyone on this site, and others..great, wonderful, and unselfish modelers who freely share their talent with others. I hope everyone sees a bit of their own modeling in this project because none of this is really of my own doing..I borrow a little from this person, a little from that person..all of you really, in a slow compilation of techniques and skills that are not my own..and when I hit a roadblock- one of those "hmmm...how am I gonna do that?" moments..I ask you guys; and someone always comes to my rescue in an "ah-ha" moment that is truly a gift.

So, some modelers call themselves "kit assemblers". I guess I am simply a "technique collector"..and those techniques come from all of you, so again- thank you.

Cheers

Pete  

Guest Uncle Fester

Great stuff!

So what's the plan with the ADI ball?  To float a decal onto it?  Paint it?  Uber-secret laser-etching?  I've always been disappointed with decals when a 3D object (a sphere) is absolutely necessary.  Even in 1/48 it's noticeable.  I've tried the copper Daisy BB trick (you'll shoot yer eye out!) but with no real success.  So please clue us in as to how you'll get the graphics on the globe. 

Cheers!

UF

Great stuff!

So what's the plan with the ADI ball?  To float a decal onto it?  Paint it?  Uber-secret laser-etching?  I've always been disappointed with decals when a 3D object (a sphere) is absolutely necessary.  Even in 1/48 it's noticeable.  I've tried the copper Daisy BB trick (you'll shoot yer eye out!) but with no real success.  So please clue us in as to how you'll get the graphics on the globe. 

Cheers!

UF

Hi UF-

Good question! I'll paint it and decal it....

That's the plan at least :)

Cheers

Pete

• 2 months later...

Something's not looking right with the compass though or does the clear still needs to settle??

Looks bitchin though great job going to be surely an eye catcher

Cheers

Fred

Something's not looking right with the compass though or does the clear still needs to settle??

Looks bitchin though great job going to be surely an eye catcher

Cheers

Fred

You mean the HSI below the attitude indicator? Think it's just the harsh light reflecting-

The macro lens is brutal though...see much to fix that I didn't notice earlier- 

P