1/16 scale scratch built AT-38B Talon-The Smurf jet is back!

Hi Kev-

Good question-It took me a while to figure it out...Timmy and I discussed this quite a bit, and as simple an operation as it sounds, after picking his brain, I picked up some new techniques.

Thanks for that explanation Pete - very helpful!

Kev

Pete: I've been following this incredible build for some time and....now I think that I'll go sit on the Fleet Canuck! That canopy mold looks interesting with the flare in the skirt...I have to make a mold for a CDN Chipmunk which has much the same unusual and difficult to vacform contours.

Barney

Thanks to all for the kind words of encouragement!

The intake trunks are coming together. These are the master forms for the vac-form parts that will make up the intakes. These masters are built just like the fuselage masters: Styrene bulkheads and keels, the volume filled up with balsa, then filled with 2 part Bondo-

SDC11762.jpg

SDC11764.jpg

Once assembled, all of that has to fit in here before the shells are closed up. All of this has to come together at once. Timmy! built it in the computer, now I need to turn it into real parts!

snapshot20100224132637.jpg

SDC11763.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Pete

Very impressive work Pete, it is taking vacforming and scratchbuilding techniques to a higher level.

What I would like to know, what kind of material ("bondo") did you use for you patterns? It looks like a two-component expoxy such as Milliput to me, but I am not sure.

Cheers,

Hans

what kind of material ("bondo") did you use for you patterns? It looks like a two-component expoxy such as Milliput to me, but I am not sure.

Cheers,

Hans

Hi Hans,

For the intakes, I used the #801 2 part Bondo. For the fuselage, I used the heavier 2 part Bondo that comes in the big can.

HTH

Pete

Thanks guys for the kind words! Geoff, you know I love your work-Encouraging words from such a talent are a real shot in the arm my friend!

Timmy! drove up to spend some time at my house.. He comes with tools, so we turned some more parts for the big AT-38B.

Here's a look at the new pitot boom. We decided a one-piece affair was better that the tip-only that we turned out of brass. This one is aluminum, complete withv the tiny hole at the tip-

SDC11805.jpg

SDC11808.jpg

SDC11810.jpg

The T-38 has these funky, round position lights on the wings and tail. If you look closely, you can see the concentric circles in the lense. After much head scratching over how to make 6 identical ones, we came up with a solution:

P1050847.jpg

We decided to turn a master in aluminum. From this I'll make an RTV mold and cast them in clear resin-

SDC11803.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Pete