1/16 scale scratch built AT-38B Talon-The Smurf jet is back!

I just came across this build and all I can do is shake my head at your level of detailing and my pitiful model building compared to you.

What did you use for your instrument faces?'--decals?

Outstanding work! I would love to see this dressed up in the Thunderbirds scheme of the 70's!

Clear up right

Tim

Hey Tim-

Yes, those are decals. The artwork and actual decals were made by my good friend and first-class smarty-pants Timmy!

T-Birds? No. This is an AT-38B, and will be in the smurf camo with a weapons pylon-

Cheers

Pete

Brilliant!

Simply beyond the beyonds.

So, is a 1/16 A320 cockpit in the future?  Har har.  :mental:

I think everyone here would agree that when you submit this creation in the Nats someday, it will set the bar so high that it will forever be known as the "Pig" award. 

As a mere troglodyte, I will now go back and try to make clay horses with my thumbs.

Hi Todd-

The A320 is such a "minimalist" work space, me thinks it'd be a boring model!

Never forget you were the initial inspiration for this megalith...all those years ago-

Cheers

Pete

That IP is easily the best scratch job I've ever seen. I am still stumped as to how you got that attitude ball to look so real? Could you elaborate on that some? I know what you used to make it from, but how did you get it from a white ball to what it is now? Wow!

Tim

Hi Tim-

I sanded the back of the plastic ball flat, so that it would sit properly in the ADI box. It also made it easier to mask, because it sat still for me and didn't roll around. I painted it white, then used thin-cut 3M flexible tape to mask off the upper white half, then shot the lower half grey. A few coats of Future, then applied the pitch attitude decals to the ball with a liberal amount of Solvaset to get the decal to conform-

HTH

Pete

That IP is easily the best scratch job I've ever seen. I am still stumped as to how you got that attitude ball to look so real? Could you elaborate on that some? I know what you used to make it from, but how did you get it from a white ball to what it is now? Wow!

Tim

I concure.........Harv  :popcorn:

Hi Tim-

I sanded the back of the plastic ball flat, so that it would sit properly in the ADI box. It also made it easier to mask, because it sat still for me and didn't roll around. I painted it white, then used thin-cut 3M flexible tape to mask off the upper white half, then shot the lower half grey. A few coats of Future, then applied the pitch attitude decals to the ball with a liberal amount of Solvaset to get the decal to conform-

HTH

Pete

Just astoundingly realistic! I am in awe!

Guest Uncle Fester

Hi Todd-

The A320 is such a "minimalist" work space, me thinks it'd be a boring model!

Never forget you were the initial inspiration for this megalith...all those years ago-

Cheers

Pete

Yes, I agree---t'would be only marginally interesting compared to, say, a 707 cockpit of 1960.

Ha ha.."megalith".  Love it.   Conjures up images of Dave Bowman sidling up to the "megalith" in "2001" and saying, "My god, it's full of stars" but altered so have some not-so-clever snarky thing to say about a 1/16 AT-38.  "My god, it's full of details!" or something equally mundane.

*ahem*

In any case, I, too am watching this build and enjoying your efforts immensely. Each little detail is a "kit" in and of itself, and when put in context, paints a more complete picture of a replica worthy of National Museum notoriety.  From original inception, when perhaps you noticed my horrid epoxy putty alterations on my Hasegawa F-5 at the sim, to now, a mere 20 years later, it's becoming a reality and I am tickled to death to see it happen. 

When I show the pics to friends at work I tell them "I KNOW THAT GUY!!!" and they are in awe.  But not for the reasons you might think---it's more like, "Yeah, you model guys are a weird bunch---all that detail stuff and junk---I can't see how you can sit there and do that."

And there lies the rub as the bard used to say.  Our world is more of a bunch of layers, I think and the affinity for miniatures tickles a portion of our brains that other people just either don't have or don't invite to participate, maybe because to them, it's "kid stuff".  But I am reminded of a couple of movies where models played a role like in "Quo Vadis" with Peter Ustinov or any of a great number of sci-fi, war or other films where models were used to varying degrees of effectiveness. 

But your talent, brought to us on these pages is something to be reckoned with.  The passion is obvious as is the skill and devotion to making it just so. 

I hope in future years, when people see this model, the youngest will say, "I want to be able to do that!".  I recall in my travels in the world and seeing movie miniatures like the Seaview from TV and the Nautilus from Disney's hit movie that I wanted to be able to have animated models that didn't look "fake" that had the quality and "texture" to bring the person into the miniature world and maybe even chuckle that this little  feature or that actually worked.

As technology becomes more readily available, those dreams can be realized and I stock up on the necessary bits for future use because right now, 1/1 scale plastic boats is all I can handle.  However, that 1/350 Enterprise for Star Trek is gonna get a going over when I'm 64.  That, along with many other kits and even some scratchbuild stuff.  So I'm watching very carefully how you do these things. 

As you said, you've become a technique collector but you also apply your own personal take on it and that's what makes it yours and no one else's. 

It's very cool indeed and I think everyone here just loves it all. 

Cheers

tw

VTANG eh?  The best airshow demonstration I ever saw was at Griffiss back in the late 80's (Commander's Day airshow).  After the show was all over, the Green Mountain Boys F-16 departed in the usual controlled airspace manner and disappeared to only a light colored dot in the sky.  He made a long right hand turn back to runway heading, dropped down to around 200 ft AGL, put the sauce in the can and scorched the runway at what seemed just shy of Mach.  It was simply amazing that you could hear the airflow over the airframe just before (and I mean tenths of a second) the engine noise...from what I remember, it was a peculiar sound but not unpleasant, kind of like the air being let out of a compressor tank only much quieter.  Anyway, that's my experience growing up in Rome, NY with the 174th  at Hancock Field and the 416th/49th FIS at Griffiss.  That's got absolutely nothing to do with this thread but the VT just rekindled a fond memory. 

I like the 38 build.  It's a great project and I'll be even more :bow:  when it's done.

• 1 year later...

This was the first super-awesome project I discovered at LSP ... where I looked at it and asked, "is he ALLOWED to do that??"

Jim

Interesting, Jim, same here. That build was my first contact with LSP and the reason I eventually registered...

So, Pete "Pig" Fleischmann is obliged to get back to this build, now isn't he?

Cheers

Rainer