1/16 scale scratch built AT-38B Talon-The Smurf jet is back!

35 minutes ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Gets better and better with every photo.  Hope the seats in your model work better than the Air Force’s.

Thanks brother-

hopefully my 1/16th scale Pilot doesn’t have to eject-

Re the ejection seat issue- it’s actually a Martin Baker problem. The Cartridge Activated Device (CAD) is faulty across multiple airframes in the USAF, USN, and USMC. T-38, F-5, T-6, T-45, Legacy Hornet, not-so Super Hornet, and Growler…

cheers

Pete

23 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

here is the ballast fairing unique to the AT-38B. Typical of scratch building, there are three not perfect/destroyed ones at the trash end of my bench-

First - haha!  I know a thing or two about ruined parts.  i have to force myself to throw some stuff away.  I find myself thinking "now how can I salvage this...."

Now - can you educate me (us?) a bit on that ballast fairing?   Are chunks of tungsten or uranium placed inside?  Or what?     

On 8/1/2022 at 11:26 AM, JayW said:

First - haha!  I know a thing or two about ruined parts.  i have to force myself to throw some stuff away.  I find myself thinking "now how can I salvage this...."

Now - can you educate me (us?) a bit on that ballast fairing?   Are chunks of tungsten or uranium placed inside?  Or what?     

Hi Jay-

pretty sure it’s a big hunk of steel. It’s necessary because the AT-38B has a fixed centerline pylon; and frequently hung either a 7.62 mini gun or SUU-20 bomb dispenser. The ballast is to correct the center of gravity when stores are carried on the centerline.. but even without the stores the weight was never removed..giving it a slightly aft CG, which was not bad for air to air training.

heres the basic shape of the ballast counterweight - just need to true up the corners a bit..and reduce its width..it’s pooching the sides of the container out-

cydjsTJ.jpg

cheers

P

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

On 8/4/2022 at 9:32 AM, MARU5137 said:

You are a smooth operator in your modelling.

:yahoo:  :clap2:

PHENOMENAL  detailing..

Superb build so far.

You are making an amazing  progress.

Looking great !

:bow::bow::bow:

Thanks MARU-

its pretty satisfying to see the metal go down after so many years in progress-

thanks for hanging in there with me for 12 years!

maybe I can get it done for the IPMS ‘24 in Madison WI..just up the road from God’s county in Iowa.

best

P

• 2 months later...

Was wondering where these airplanes live these days?  Saw the blue jets many years ago at Holloman along with a handful of unpainted NMF T-38s flying sorties with the F-15s there.  White jets down in Texas and black Talons at Langley but haven’t seen the blue camo in a while.