1/16 scale scratch built AT-38B Talon-The Smurf jet is back!

3 hours ago, Ironwing said:

Pete 

It's about time brother. I've often thought how nice it would be see see you bring this girl back. Superbly super..art and technology imitating life...

It just doesn't get any better.

Best 

Geoff

Thanks Geoff-

Your Ryan project is a source of great inspiration and insight for me right about now- thank you.

Hey all!

spent a few hours literally cleaning the dust off this model. If I had intended to let it sit this long, I would have covered it up-

here’s a few shots of where it sits today-

So excited to get back to work on this! (I’ll keep my killer egg and MH-60T Jayhawk going too.) Just have to spend more time in the shop. Darn!

1WOwp1K.jpg

fuzodX0.jpg

The side panels are a little too blue in my opinion. From my time in both the Talon and Smurfjet, I do distinctly remember them being a slightly different color than the rest of the cockpit however.

Aft right:

z9d2daI.jpg

Forward right

le4wQws.jpg

Aft left

hWdLgdM.jpg

Forward left

7hyVtOR.jpg

front IP

Q6i2yyW.jpg

vJyUPYy.jpg

p3RyuYE.jpg

and front IP set in place in the aft cockpit. I havent built the rear IP yet, and it is a little different than the front-

AgpmBoP.jpg

A little shop rash here and there- a few fiddly parts popped off, but easy to fix.

Nose gear well-

s1aQSki.jpg

0VledkG.jpg

She is a big sexy gal-

axHIKqt.jpg

bgGUoML.jpg

cheers

Pete

Oh my favorite jet is back in the queue!! Watching and admiring!

oh btw, I know you have tons of pics and stuff but if you find yourself in need of any details for something you can’t locate Easily I have alot of walk around shots of the AT-38B at the Blue Grass Airport in Lexington KY and it’s just down the road if needed.

Edited by themongoose

On 9/8/2021 at 2:41 PM, Pete Fleischmann said:

Hey all!

spent a few hours literally cleaning the dust off this model. If I had intended to let it sit this long, I would have covered it up-

here’s a few shots of where it sits today-

So excited to get back to work on this! (I’ll keep my killer egg and MH-60T Jayhawk going too.) Just have to spend more time in the shop. Darn!

1WOwp1K.jpg

fuzodX0.jpg

The side panels are a little too blue in my opinion. From my time in both the Talon and Smurfjet, I do distinctly remember them being a slightly different color than the rest of the cockpit however.

Aft right:

z9d2daI.jpg

Forward right

le4wQws.jpg

Aft left

hWdLgdM.jpg

Forward left

7hyVtOR.jpg

front IP

Q6i2yyW.jpg

vJyUPYy.jpg

p3RyuYE.jpg

and front IP set in place in the aft cockpit. I havent built the rear IP yet, and it is a little different than the front-

AgpmBoP.jpg

A little shop rash here and there- a few fiddly parts popped off, but easy to fix.

Nose gear well-

s1aQSki.jpg

0VledkG.jpg

She is a big sexy gal-

axHIKqt.jpg

bgGUoML.jpg

cheers

Pete

Bout time!

Hello all!

something was bugging me about the nose.

It simply didn’t look right. Pretty damn close; but not right-

Now I have the most accurate T-38 plans on the planet, short of what might be in a vault somewhere at Northrop Grumman..so I have 100% confidence in them- so I checked my work against them, and yep- I was right. The nose on my model was about 5mm short.

pretty simple but obvious construction mistake by me..I knocked the nose off of the master pattern way back when, and obviously didn’t place it correctly..

Xobtsve.jpg

TADmTlU.jpg

so- off with the nose!

I cut a 5.30mm laminated sheet styrene plug to insert at the forward bulkhead of the nosegear well

bXUIMl0.jpg

more to follow, but just holding it all in place with the plug looks much better-

cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann