Bf109 G-6, Hauptmann Erich Hartmann, Sta. Kap. 7/JG52, Hungary, Feb/Ma

Hello Everyone

Here is a model that has sat for a very long time on my bench, so I hope fits the criteria for the Group build. It is a counterbalance to the wonderful works that regularly appear on LSP. I can't tell you how many snafu's this one has had (and continues to have)!

I selected the Bf109 kit from Hasegawa because I heard that it was a good kit with which to start. I sure have a lot to learn...

Progress will be slow, especially as I will be travelling a lot for business, but here is a first shot of it's "condition":

IMG_9087_mod_8x6_web.jpg

Hi Kev, yes, the kit decals, except I used dry stencils for the small stuff.

The tulips were tough, I tried to mask and paint them first and that was a complete disaster because the paint got under the masking tape, then I tried to remove it and it took everything with it! So I had to start the nose again and this time I used the kit tulips. I'm not sure I have the stomach for all the disasters I seem to be able to generate! Hopefully, lots of mistakes means I can learn something along the way...

Thanks for the comment, Kev.

Thanks Mike, Slim and everyone for the encouraging comments. With that I will press on... to slowly sanding off the resin plug to the EagleParts spinner that I have for the kit (only non OOB component). Is there a faster way?

IMG_9092_8x6_web.jpg

Thanks Mike, Slim and everyone for the encouraging comments. With that I will press on... to slowly sanding off the resin plug to the EagleParts spinner that I have for the kit (only non OOB component). Is there a faster way?

IMG_9092_8x6_web.jpg

Not that I know of, doing the same thing on mine right now. I also got the holes for the propeller hubs drilled out without screwing them, major relief!

Keep goin! Shes going to be a pretty plane when done!

The spinner I got from eagle editions had hardly any poor block on it, I used a cutoff wheel on my dremmel tool to get close, then did what you're doing, the "figure 8" sanding pattern on sandpaper.

Definately worth the time though.

Paul

Thanks for the very encouraging comments. The next thing to do has been the underside:

IMG_9107_8x6_web.jpg

Weathering has mostly been applied, and masking done ready for tactical markings to be applied (yellow tips and yellow Hungary V). One undercarriage is installed, lots of hacking as it sure didn't fit the space Hasegawa made available!

• 2 weeks later...

Well as I said at the beginning, this is my first model and an excellent "learning experience"!

After applying a protective coat of Future, masking and then painting the yellow on the underside, I then attempted to remove the masking tape, with this result:

Disaster_Strikes.jpeg

Sigh! It ripped off the decal, despite the "protective layer" of Future. Maybe I need to apply a thicker coat? Anyway, on to the repair job...

this is your first model?! :D

looking great, my first one looked like a glue ball with bits of plastic sticking out

I've never used the future method (read lots about it).

Is the future layer supposed to be strong enough to protect decals from tape like a regular clear coat would be?