Best kit for F-4G

typhoon nick

I'm wanting to build a 1:32 F-4G, mainly in the lizard one camo that they would have worn during the 1980's. Been no expert on 1:32 Phatoms could anyone tell me what would be the best kit to start with and where I may get hold of a conversion set?

Many thanks, nick

I could write a how to guide on this subject ...

Anyway , there are two options , the cheap way , using the Revell F-4E MiG Killer boxing , it gives you a fairly decent late model E with wing slats etc , and add a TAC scale dynamics conversion, which gives you a WSO IP, nose enhancements, and a new fin cap, throw in a set of airdoc decals , and Voila' a G

Ok the expensive way , Tamiya F-4E(the EJ boxing for preference.. better missiles and PE formation lights ), and either the TAC scale Dynamics conversion , or if you can find it the CE conversion, however you also need to add the slatted wings , which can either be done using the OOP CE set , or what I did , rob a Revell F-4E for the outer wing panels , and actuators .. so as I said expensive ..

What ever you do you'll need to also fix the standard Tamiya F-4 issues, Intakes/Engines/wheels etc - see the Tweek list for the full run down of the issues you need to fix. Not that the Revell kit is perfect , far from it, you'll still need to address the intakes, undernourished nose gear leg, and fairly basic cockpit , you might want to check out the Legend cockpit set , that helps things out .

If you're worried about shape issues , the Revell kit needs a replacemnt radome , see Harolds AMS for a new one )

As you can see its a pretty big undertaking one way or another , when I built my one some years ago, I spent about 5 years accumliating the pieces before I finally built my G - this is what my one looks like ... (its based on the Tamiya kit )

f-4g-001.jpg

I could write a how to guide on this subject ...

Anyway , there are two options , the cheap way , using the Revell F-4E MiG Killer boxing , it gives you a fairly decent late model E with wing slats etc , and add a TAC scale dynamics conversion, which gives you a WSO IP, nose enhancements, and a new fin cap, throw in a set of airdoc decals , and Voila' a G

Ok the expensive way , Tamiya F-4E(the EJ boxing for preference.. better missiles and PE formation lights ), and either the TAC scale Dynamics conversion , or if you can find it the CE conversion, however you also need to add the slatted wings , which can either be done using the OOP CE set , or what I did , rob a Revell F-4E for the outer wing panels , and actuators .. so as I said expensive ..

What ever you do you'll need to also fix the standard Tamiya F-4 issues, Intakes/Engines/wheels etc - see the Tweek list for the full run down of the issues you need to fix. Not that the Revell kit is perfect , far from it, you'll still need to address the intakes, undernourished nose gear leg, and fairly basic cockpit , you might want to check out the Legend cockpit set , that helps things out .

If you're worried about shape issues , the Revell kit needs a replacemnt radome , see Harolds AMS for a new one )

As you can see its a pretty big undertaking one way or another , when I built my one some years ago, I spent about 5 years accumliating the pieces before I finally built my G - this is what my one looks like ... (its based on the Tamiya kit )

f-4g-001.jpg

Lovely F-4G Scotsman - I also wanted to know this information, so thank you.

Derek

Hi!

The Revell parts use is probably the best approach. Unfortunately, the Revellogram F-4E is as well OOP! The only Revell Phantom currently available is an F-4F (this also means no slotted stabs, no USAF IPs and no corrected fin tip)

This means that if you cannot find the OOP sets the only solution is:

- a Tamiya F-4E (or EJ) Phantom for the basic airframe with the slotted stabs

- a F-4F Phantom for the correctly sized exhausts, High-G fuel tank, AIM-9L missiles and slat wings.

- the abovementioned Flightpath resin chin part

- Air doc decals

- Scratch the new fin tip and small antennae, the more recent pilot instruments (Tamiya is an D-like early E) and the specific Wild Weasel GIB IP...

- You're also on your own for the weapons but fortunately the AGM-88 is available in many other kits (Viper, Hornet, etc.)

Another useful info: the so-called CAM F-4S conversion set is in fact a USAF slat-wing set! This means that this is another possible solution if you do not want to cross-kit the Revell and Tamiya kits...

Whatever may be your choice, you'll also have to engrave correct panel lines on the wing outboard parts...

HTH