Hasegawa Bf109G-6

dodgem37

Gentlemen,

I just finished this kit, and thought I'd put it up for show.

It may suppose to go into the Aces Build, I don't know, but I'll let the Mods make that decision.

DSCN4832.jpg

The scheme is standard RLM 74/75/76 over a base coat of Primer. Preshading was with FS36081 Euro Grey I. RLM's were tinted 20% white. 5 parts RLM/1 part white. Defence band was mix of RLM 4 & 24 (I think blue is 24), with 20% white. Camo was scanned, enlarged, and paper stenciled from Cutting Edge CED32026 Gustav Aces Part 2. I used blue tack to set the stencils off, but a tight line was the result anyway. The Solvaset system was used for the decals. Weathering on the top was done with lamp black. I replaced the broken tail wheel shaft with brass rod and set the wheel at an angle. Swastika is painted.

DSCN4833.jpg

Cockpit sidewall wiring, interior windshield handholds and flare tube, rear cockpit detail including retaining wire and spring connecting the center section with the rear, and some other stuff, which I don't know what it is. I tried my hand at making the antenna wire, antenna wire spring, and rear connecter. Wire is invisible thread painted steel. Insulators are white paint. The DF loop is flattened solder. I don't know what those spots are. Desicating tablet is RLM79. Masked cockpit glazing interior and sprayed it RLM66. Painted glazing edges black to represent rubber seals. Delicate slip streamed weathering around panel lines.

DSCN4842.jpg

I saw this 1/3 red/2/3 black boss on page 76 in a Hasegawa Bf109G-6 book, liked the way it looked, double checked a photo of this plane in Squadrons In Action book and said, 'Yep, I can interpret that photo as this' and did so. Thus, the red/black boss. New wiring on main wheel struts. Wavy demarcation lines on the leading edge. Cut out gun trough.

DSCN4837.jpg

The tail position light was drilled out and stretched clear sprue was shaped, polished and glued in place with future. The gun pod barrels are aluminum tubing painted steel. Wire rod fusalage antenna.

DSCN4838.jpg

I weathered the fusalage with black oil paint to represent the engine oil leaks. Yep, hardly visible here. The gear bay area with ochre to represent the dirt thrown up from the tires. The wings from the centerline of the gun pod to the wing tips are weathered with lamp black oil paint. The drop tank is a new addition so it is only preshaded and painted.

DSCN4839.jpg

I opened the 4 holes in the wheel well shaft area. I didn't bother with the wheel aspect of the well. Modifying it is beyond my skill level. I tried my hand with the wheel well bulges, though. I opened the upper wing, vacuum-formed the bulge, glued it on, filled the spaces with milliput to try and save the day, then poured primer paint in to smooth things out. I forgot to remove the masking, that's why it looks a little krinkled in there. Cut out shell ejector chute. Oil cooler flap is closed for some reason.

DSCN4840.jpg

I think you might be able to see some of the subtle weathering streaks in this photo if you enlarge it by clicking on the black bar at the top of the picture.

Last but not least.

DSCN4841.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Sincerely,

Mark

'since fels am wagram is a couple of miles from where i live and i am not aware of an airbase near it, whats the story?

did the plane go down there? there was no front line near it in may 44'

The title information comes from Histoire & Collections Planes & Pilots Me109 Volume II From 1942 to 1945 book by Dominique Breffort & Andre Jouineau, page 49. I wish I could give you more information but I don't know more than this.

Sincerely,

Mark

Mark, that's just a beautiful Gustav. I really like you weathering on the undersides, I'm in the final stages of a G-4 and I think I'll see if I can replicate what you've done on yours.

Nicely done! :bow:

very nice G6!

since fels am wagram is a couple of miles from where i live and i am not aware of an airbase near it, whats the story?

did the plane go down there? there was no front line near it in may 44

I./JG 27 was based there from 22.8.43 - 6.6.44. I believe the positioning there was primarily to defend against incursions by 15th AF into Southern Germany and Austria.

Wow! Guys, many thanks. Such compliments!

I took some more pictures (it's a Nikon Coolpix-nothing extravegant) to see what could be done with it besides the point and shoot I've already posted, and if no one minds, I wanted to post these also. They're a little more dramatic.

DSCN4844.jpg

DSCN4845.jpg

DSCN4856.jpg

DSCN4858.jpg

DSCN4859.jpg

DSCN4862.jpg

Once again, thanks for looking.

Sincerely,

Mark

nice extra pics

now, and i can't believe i didn't notice this before, but what's with the black diamonds instead of swastikas?

is that clever photo-shopping??

just wondered why that's all...

I./JG 27 was based there from 22.8.43 - 6.6.44. I believe the positioning there was primarily to defend against incursions by 15th AF into Southern Germany and Austria.

just found it in the net, apperently there was a bigger luftwaffe base there, no concrete runway, thats why there is nothing left

thanx

now, and i can't believe i didn't notice this before, but what's with the black diamonds instead of swastikas?

is that clever photo-shopping??

No, no photo-shopping. Painted white, tape masked, painted black.

As for black diamonds instead of swastikas, I choose not to have swastikas.

Sincerely,

Mark