I have new info from HpH. They will produced Savoia S-21

Interesting choice.

Thanks Mirek

Isn't that a fictional airplane?

Yes and no. The more famous S.21 is indeed fictional:

s21ima.jpg

... but there was a real 1921 Schneider Trophy racer by that name, too:

savoias21.jpg

Another photo of the latter can be found on page 58 of Schneider Trophy Racers, by Hirsch (Motorbooks International [uSA], 1992; 192 pages), for example.

Charles Metz

While I would love to pick up both of these, I somehow think that the Crimson Pig's plane would sell better (especially in Japan). They have photo etched metal skeleton kits and plastic 1/72 and 1/48 kits of two versions of the anime S.21, plus a floatplane piloted by "Donald Curtiss" that looks a lot like Doolittle's R3C-2 but with guns.

If you have the chance, you have to see "Porco Rosso". It may sound like just a cartoon, and have a strange plot, but the flying scenes over the Adriatic are some of the most beautiful ever made. You could say the same about a lot of aircraft movies... so just shut up and enjoy the view.

Any data on which one we will see? I just hope for the big red one.... and a figure to match, although the 1/48 kit figure may be closer to 1/32.

But I wouldn't turn down any Schneider Trophy racer.

Tnarg

Mirek, perhaps you could respectfully suggest the talented good folk at HpH to do a kit that most of us do not need to do a Google search on to see what it is :)

Actually, Porco Rosso's Machine is a mix between the Savoia S-21 (biplane) and the Macchi M33 (cantilever monoplane), which finished 3rd in the 1925 Schneider Trophy contest (the one that was won by Doolitlle on the Curtiss R3C-2).

Luciano, from Brach Models, has produced a very desirable 1/32 Macchi M-33

Hubert.

PS edit : anyone interested in Proco Rosso's "Savoia" AND paper models might want to check this design and build thread on Papermodelers

Edited by MostlyRacers