F 14A Tomcat in 1/18 scale

Marek

The ammo belts are impressive, making such intricate parts repetitively often shows minor differences in length, bends, etc., and can only highlight imperfections. Yours look identical and have the proper bend. Would you mind sharing how you made them? I have the same task to do for several 1/24 scale applications including a rather lengthy section of ammo belt for a B-17G waist gunner cross-section diorama.

P.S. who makes this beast and how much did it cost?

Thank you Expat Tomcat for your coment. :party0023: Regarding to your question, I will do a photo story about how I made the belt and post it here on the forum. It will be soon :BANGHEAD2: Now about "who make this beast and how much did it cost?". Well it was 159€ and I´got it from Poland (about the only place I know,that you can get it now) The maker is:

273b0250b16f1e46m.jpg

Hope you make some of this photo. It comes in the big black box and is very well packed:

c0290f82ca2c9bccm.jpg

27c43b6a6b42b211m.jpg

87fb4d664102403cm.jpg

Edited by Marek

I tried to make rouds for the gun. They are viseable in the gun bay above the gun in the fiding mekanizm.

First I tried plastic:

_IGP9792.jpg

And I was not satifyed at all.

Then I tried other materiales like metals:

_IGP9794.jpg

Yes! That is it :speak_cool:

_IGP9795.jpg

What do you think!? :rolleyes:

Edited by Marek

The ammo belts are impressive, making such intricate parts repetitively often shows minor differences in length, bends, etc., and can only highlight imperfections. Yours look identical and have the proper bend. Would you mind sharing how you made them? I have the same task to do for several 1/24 scale applications including a rather lengthy section of ammo belt for a B-17G waist gunner cross-section diorama.

P.S. who makes this beast and how much did it cost?

So thet is how I did the amo belt. First you have to cut the evergreen plastic strip to exact the same lengts.

_IGP9809.jpg

_IGP9805.jpg

Then I glued a bit of plastic tube in the one and of the each strip an the other one bit in 1/3 of lengths tothe strips:

_IGP9806.jpg

When I bended the ends of the strips an glue them to the rod I´v got even looking parts. Ten I cut them apart and glue to o pis of nerow plastic plastic strip to hold them together as a bel:

_IGP9808.jpg

_IGP9807.jpg

Abit of metal wire in to the each tube makes the belt flexeble:

_IGP9783.jpg

looking great!

just to add to what marek said - there are one or two companies that make brass individual rounds, such as mission models - some of the larger 1/32 or 1/24 rounds are perfect for larger scales - as a rough example, a 1/35 20mm PAK round could be perfect for a 1/18 scale cal .50 round and so on

THX richdlc for your coment :party0023: I do not know that firms that are doing thows round but it is realy easy to do them yourself. Ofcourse one has to have a lath

That is how I did them:

_IGP9797.jpg

I took the 2mm brass rod and put it in to the lath. Then I terned first the cartridge:

_IGP9799.jpg

Then Itook the electric wire and cut a bit of cooper 1,3mm rod. Then I terhed bulit from it on the lath:

_IGP9801.jpg

_IGP9802.jpg

Whenthe bulet itself and the cartridge are put together they make a pryty good looking roud:

_IGP9803.jpg

_IGP9804.jpg

Edited by Marek

OMG, turning each round individually on a lathe? :blink:

Incredible attention to detail, very impressive!

Thanks Daywalker for your coment :party0023: This terning each round on the lathe gos very quyckly once one get hang of it :speak_cool:

Fantastic work. I really like the process for the ammunition guides. I saw this plane hanging from the ceiling at my lhs and was afraid to walk under it as a beam might collapse. This thing is a MONSTER!

Go Marek, Go!

:speak_cool: