Make Your Own Decals

ruzlkampf

Jeez, 10 pages of pixels? What are you guys on?

http://inkscape.org/

http://www.serif.com/free-graphic-design-software/

Both free, so no whining about the cost. Vector, so no blessed pixels to worry about. Work in real measurements, not some bonkers scale. Or the other way round if you prefer. Multiple ways of drawing hard-edged graphics with NO zaggies. At ANY zoom ratio. Why use a rattle-can when you can use a scalpel? Multi colours? No problem. Layers? No problem.

And the final print-out? I'd forget desk-top printers. None can print white, and the inks WILL fade in a few months. Bad news. I'd get in touch with Greg at www.drawdecal.com . No commercial links, just a very happy customer of his, delighted at all the time, hassle and grief this chap has helped me avoid.

Tim

Jeez, 10 pages of pixels? What are you guys on?

http://inkscape.org/

http://www.serif.com...esign-software/

Both free, so no whining about the cost. Vector, so no blessed pixels to worry about. Work in real measurements, not some bonkers scale. Or the other way round if you prefer. Multiple ways of drawing hard-edged graphics with NO zaggies. At ANY zoom ratio. Why use a rattle-can when you can use a scalpel? Multi colours? No problem. Layers? No problem.

And the final print-out? I'd forget desk-top printers. None can print white, and the inks WILL fade in a few months. Bad news. I'd get in touch with Greg at www.drawdecal.com . No commercial links, just a very happy customer of his, delighted at all the time, hassle and grief this chap has helped me avoid.

Tim

Sounds like a good option.

I think the previous way was just the way Russ did things. Some do things certain ways and Russ just did things his way, which was usually the best outcome from the least amount of things to begin with.

Russ always did like to take the hard route. I'll have definitely have to check out drawdecal.com.

Now that Russ is gone this thread is kind of one of those "how tOs" that we like to keep round that most anyone can use without downloading anything and utilizing nothing more than what they already have.

RE: desk-top printing.......although im sure between Ad Astra paint masks and drawdecal.com most everything can be done custom, but I have used laser printout on decal paper with great success on multiple occasions. Ive even used ink jet with success.

The key to keeping everything in shape and preventing things from fading is I always cover any decals I make with MM clear lacquer. I have several models many, many years old using this technique and there has been 0 fading on any of the decals.

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha

Russ, thanks for helping us out on making decals. I have several kits that I want to do for a certain aircraft and they just sit on the shelf due to nobody wanting to make just a couple decals sets for you. I will be following this and hopefully be able to make those decals I want Thanks to you for starting and helping everyone make decals. :speak_cool: Dan

Russ, thanks for helping us out on making decals. I have several kits that I want to do for a certain aircraft and they just sit on the shelf due to nobody wanting to make just a couple decals sets for you. I will be following this and hopefully be able to make those decals I want Thanks to you for starting and helping everyone make decals. :speak_cool: Dan

Yes very good tutorial. But sad to say, we lost Russ last year.

Russ was a flamboyant, vibrant part of this community and was a 1 of a kind.

You are sorely Missed Russ........... RIP

C Ya at a later date buddy.........

I have several kits that I want to do for a certain aircraft and they just sit on the shelf due to nobody wanting to make just a couple decals sets for you.

On a side note, check out Ad Astra masks. They have great customer service and are willing to do one off custommasks if you have a certain scheme/plane you are interested in.

HTH,

Cheers,

Brian

• 9 months later...

Sorry to bring this back up but...

In Russ' honor, I would like to offer to design and print decals for anyone who needs them. I realize I could easily get overwhelmed... but I do think it is something Russ would approve.

Just ship me a PM and we will discuss it from there.

RIP buddy!

Edited by remingtonbox

In Russ' honor, I would like to offer to design and print decals for anyone who needs them. I realize I could easily get overwhelmed... but I do think it is something Russ would approve.

RIP buddy!

A great offer mate, and a timely one too, as there's somebody asking about custom decals in General Discussion at the moment.

Kev

• 3 weeks later...

RIP buddy!

Great offer - Thank you.

Derek