Make Your Own Decals

ruzlkampf

Alright, now as ya'll can see....it's possible to import an image from a different format and view it/size it/move it around even at a different resolution. My original image is 581 x 782 pixels, and she was 210 x 312, so the image fit onto my canvas OK. I'm going to show what happens when I try to import an image that has MORE pixels (not per inch....that's resolution) than my original image.

But first, while ya'll have her pixellated image above fresh in your minds.....I want to show how I can fool your eyes with making a lower resolution image 'appear' higher with a bit of color. See how she's just a bunch of multi-colored dots that blend together to give photo-realistic illusion even at 1 inch tall? I'm going to 'blur' your eyes with a few spots of color on my original 68dpi black code letters to make them appear less jagged or pixellated. Check out the grey color I applied to the 'steps' in my 'M' and 'A'. These letters are 3/4 inch or 20(?)mm tall, and this is highly zoomed.

post-4413-1267803081.jpg

Code letters on the bottom are untouched, and this is zoomed out a bit more. See how the eye 'blurs' them into looking less jagged?

post-4413-1267803192.jpg

Now, zoomed out to 1x magnification. See how it 'smooths' things out? Cool, huh? You'd be amazed at what a few pixels of color will do to make an image look almost perfectly 'photographic'.

post-4413-1267803311.jpg

Now back to importing an image into Paint that has MORE pixels size-wise than your image. Remember my original is 581x752 pixels, and when I run my mouse over this image I created(it's my avatar) it shows 860x871 pixels. A bit bigger.

post-4413-1267803610.jpg

Open up my decal canvas in Paint again.....go to 'edit' then 'paste from' remember? Then find my image on the desktop and click on it to get the name to show in the box and hit OK.

post-4413-1267803817.jpg

It's so big, my drawing is completely covered up.....and Paint has re-sized the canvas to be able to view the entire image. Gaaaaaah! While it's up....let's do the 'image' scroll down 'attributes' thing to see what the pixel size and resolution are for this pic.

post-4413-1267804102.jpg

I re-sized the image to be smaller, then went up to the 'image' button....scrolled down to 'attributes'.....and look what it did to my original 8.5x11 inch image. My canvas is now the size of the image I imported before reducing it. Even if I type in 8.5 and 11 in those boxes,....it won't go back!

post-4413-1267804630.jpg

All this is a mute point anyway. I just wanted to show that any image can be imported into Paint no problem, but if you want scaled decals(by not importing a larger image than your canvas), and crisp images(Ididn't even show what would happen to your images after you did the 'saved as' thing with different formats) you've got to follow a few simple steps......using your free paint program to get these variables to lock together. Illustrator and Photoshop don't have these limitations, and that's what you're paying the big bucks for when buying them.

BUT! Paint is fully capable of overcoming these limitations with a few easy steps, and a few more clicks of the mouse than the big bucks stuff. Here is a pic of a print-out I did on regular paper of Phil's beauty at about 1 inch(25mm) tall. If I had used glossy photo paper, or decal paper with the printer set on glossy photo paper with decent light this image would be literally a miniature photo. Not too shabby from a 68dpi Paint program, eh?! Let me set stuff up on how to explain to do this, it isn't hard. A background on what NOT to do was necessary to help explain why I'm going to be doing what I do without bogging it down in so much detail as to be confusing. If ya'll want to practice importing pics of your model planes into paint, and drawing lines/touching details up and stuff....go for it! The sizing thing doesn't matter then, this is only if you want your decals properly scaled out and don't want your images mushed looking. Any digital image can be imported, but you may want to size it around 800x600 or it will look huge and require scrolling around to see the edges. You can then draw and scribble on it to your hearts content! Gotta go now, so I'll continue this thru-out the weekend. later All! Russ

post-4413-1267806040.jpg

Hey everybody, sorry I ain't seen yall yet in school, but I've been skipping... :speak_cool:

I got a note though, forged it myself too. Do ya think Mr Russ will bye it???

Mr. Russ,

Please excuse my son, Alfonso Rodriguez, from attending your class thus far into the course.

He has been very, very, very, very, very, very ,very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, ill, and sick.

Thank You,

Signed,

Alfonso's Mother

I'm sure he'll take it, and take it well like the old fart that he is, and if not, theres always summer school, right?? Gotta go sneak this note on Mr.Russ's desk before he gets back from the John, I'm out Yall, Later.

Oh yeah, BTW, nobody better snitch on me either, or else... :help: