Make Your Own Decals

ruzlkampf

Now I'm going to scrawl out a red-lipped beauty that I saw on the bathroom wall. I haven't delved into doing custom colors yet, but here's a small preview of me getting a yellow color to highlight my letters.

post-4413-1267634918.jpg

Aaaaaand, after 5 minutes of scribbling I got this. An image that will print out borderless at 1-1/4 inches long by just a little under an inch tall, and I know it will size correctly no matter what size my monitor is. SWEEET!

post-4413-1267633268.jpg

OK, I printed her out on a piece of 'crack and peel' paper to be able to cut her out and stick her to the side of the 110.

post-4413-1267633702.jpg

This concludes my demonstration of how to use your printer and a piece of paper to create a ruler on your paint canvas that matches the ruler in your hand. Excuse the crude drawing, this was just an exercise in sizing not image quality. I'm going to go pass out now. These lessons really take it out of me, sheesh. If anybody has a better idea for universally sizing every type of monitor to a ruler......wake me up tomorrow as I'd love to hear it. I'll take any questions also when I get coherent. Time for a pudding cup and a spot of sleep. Later all, Russ

post-4413-1267634052.jpg

I don't feel tardy...

Hey Mr. Kampf, For those of us who are not so artistically inclined/enhanced, will we be able to import a scan to paint? I don't mean to instigate or go ahead of the lesson plan. If this will be covered in a later session I can wait patiently in the corner with Derek. If I missed this part it is because my ears and eyes are clogged with Honduran mahogany dust.

"Wood" is good. :frantic:

Really? :) (actually I have a 24" Imac.....sorry, maybe when you get older, huh? heh heh. :D ) Wow, it looks like I'm going to have to do some research into this. Very interesting! Oh yeah, I was doing some A4 sized pamphlets today for a company overseas, and the metric size on my printers read out 210mmx297mm (or 21.0x29.7cm according to my calculations) I can't remember if that jives with the numbers you posted earlier in this thread. Does that look about right?

Have you printed out an A4 sized copy of what you drew on your image and seen if it matched up yet? It should, but I'm extremely curious to know if it worked out for ya. Sure makes it a LOT easier to scale things out if it does, but I have devised a method that I'm going to share that will work all the time, in every instance today. Doesn't require any fancy stuff, downloads, or special equipment. And it only costs one sheet of paper.

Russ,

Your "euro" A4 size is right.

In answer to your other question, this is a photo of "Paint" on the screen with a crappy first attempt(should of chosen letters without round bits!) The codes are 3/4" and the cross 1.1/4"(The screen is level but the tripod for the camera wasn't!

post-13803-1267701707.jpg

I then printed this out and hey presto! Its still 3/4"

post-13803-1267701746.jpg

BTW, someone sent me a powerpoint of the "swimwear" part of a"glamorous grannie" competition from Brazil. The photo is "Patricia" who is the eldest at 54 and probably the least attractive! I had to crop it to avoid heart attacks amongst senior members. Well you wanted "nekkid"! This lot are apart from 3 Band Aids and a bit of stretched sprue!

post-13803-1267701753.jpg

If you let me go home early and PM your e-mail I will send you the full attachment. Might come in handy when you start your lesson on pasting in images for noseart!!!

Phil :lol:

BTW, someone sent me a powerpoint of the "swimwear" part of a"glamorous grannie" competition from Brazil. The photo is "Patricia" who is the eldest at 54 and probably the least attractive! I had to crop it to avoid heart attacks amongst senior members. Well you wanted "nekkid"! This lot are apart from 3 Band Aids and a bit of stretched sprue!

post-13803-1267701753.jpg

If you let me go home early and PM your e-mail I will send you the full attachment. Might come in handy when you start your lesson on pasting in images for noseart!!!

Phil :lol:

Russ...Is there any chance of continuing this tutorial in Brazil? :D (See, I'm wide awake now! :)).

Derek

GAAAAAHHH! Already causing problems Matt?! :frantic: Great, now you woke up Derek and I've got to buy everybody plane tickets to Brazil so we can use Phil's new girlfriend for an artistic model. Hey, this thread is for ya'll so I'll wander down any tangent paths anybody here can think up. We can bounce around as much as everybody wants! :rolleyes: It has been quite the experience seeing the difference between the Mac I have , and the PC I hooked up to 'see' what you 'see' doing these decals. Especially without any specialized software or 'stuff'.

First thing I want to mention; DO NOT have Paint open, go to 'file' then 'print' and try to get your printer to spit out what you want! I've discovered it's much more reliable to save your project and open it with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, and use the 'print' button from there. I'll show everybody what I'm talking about this weekend. It takes too long to put a presentation together for me to do it during a weeknight.

Next thing; I'm going to show how to import an image into Paint..... (every pic I've used in this lesson so far has been done in Paint, captured with a screen-saver program and re-sized, then re-imported into Paint for drawing lines/captions/etc.) ......but just to play around with for now. If you've already started a project,....start another canvas to play around doing this as it's fraught with danger and will probably mess up anything you've already drawn and plan to save. Enough of the disclaimer stuff, let's move on, e?!

I don't feel tardy...

Hey Mr. Kampf, For those of us who are not so artistically inclined/enhanced, will we be able to import a scan to paint? I don't mean to instigate or go ahead of the lesson plan. If this will be covered in a later session I can wait patiently in the corner with Derek. If I missed this part it is because my ears and eyes are clogged with Honduran mahogany dust.

"Wood" is good. :D

And everyone wondered why he's called 'BIG' Matt? :P Hey, that's pretty good poetry there. Shortest poem I've ever heard....and it even rhymes! You are obviously artistically inclined, so we're going to name you class 'Poet Laureate' and move you away from Derek to over by the door so you can get some fresh air.(and let your dog out to go do his 'business') Unfortunately this title requires wearing a tie, combing your hair, and acting like a 'new-age sensitive guy'. What?, you'd rather be a beatnik banging on bongo drums? :huh: Meh,...only if you promise to quit giving Out2Getcha lyrics for his new rap songs.(maybe those are Gregorian chants he's singing?.....can't tell, he's tone-deaf.)

Russ...Is the any chance of continuing this tutorial in Brazil? :wub: (See, I'm wide awake now! :lol:).

Derek

See what you've started 'big matt'? :rolleyes: Go back to sleep Derek, we'll wake you up when we get there, OK? :wacko:

Whoohooo! You're all over this Phil. :bow: Looks like you're getting the hang of things! You used the code letters 'barf'? :lol: Wish I had time to get into a semi-technical discussion about the aspect ratio of your monitor and the square ones most everybody else here is using. Even between CRT and LCD/LED monitors as it would explain a lot about having to put one of those 'rulers' on your Paint canvas to size/scale things out....and why they all look different. But that would definitely put Derek back to sleep, so it'll have to wait until it's forgotten. Remind me to show you how to use the 'curve' button to help with those 'rounded' images that are so tough to get right. That 'curve' button makes it much easier and takes less time. Good job on getting something drawn(and printed) out. Cooool! :punk:

Alright, abbreviated lesson today is how to import an image into Paint. I'm leery of doing this, because there are so many ways to mess up it would make a very confusing and long discussion. I'm going show ya'll how to do this during this weekend after I get my slide-show organized and put together. This is just an overview of how to do it, and some of the pitfalls. Again dudes, it's real easy to do,....it's just hard to explain why you're doing what I tell you, and not do things another way. Here's some examples. We're going to use that pic of Phil's new girlfriend, and another original that I have to demonstrate this. I've been trying to use original art work so far, because I'm sure that everybody is aware of the legalities and copyrights involved with using somebody else's stuff and I don't have the time or inclination to get into that. %99.9999999 of anything we use is going to be used for a 'template' of sorts to get a sizing and general idea of what we're trying to draw and will be edited beyond recognition from what it was originally.....but please be careful of the images you use. No matter how careful you are, even with original art,.....there are those that will you accuse you of copying. Be for-warned! Nuff said.

OK, so I've got 2 images to show how to import. Both are .jpeg files(remember I saved mine as a .tiff and it's a different format?) and different sizes and resolutions. This will have no effect on how it views or gets edited in Paint, BUT all hell will break loose when you try to 'save as' and wonder what happened to your images that looked so good on your canvas. Both of these images can be made to print well, I only have time to show how to get them onto Paint for now. I saved Phil's (.jpeg)image to my desktop and called it 'TEST PIC'. Then, I take my file(which is a .tiff) and open it in Paint. When I put my mouse over my icon, it tells me what size this image is in pixels....not the resolution(remember my Paint had a 68dpi resolution?)

post-4413-1267801408.jpg

So she's a different resolution, and a different format from my original image. Let me show you how to bring an image onto your canvas from anywhere on your computer. First i open up my drawing that I've already 'saved as' an 8.5x11 inch 68dpi image in .tiff format.

post-4413-1267801979.jpg