Source for 1/32 F-15 600 gallon drop tanks?

Daywalker

Hi!

It is indeed an annoying problem:

- The Tamiya tank is too thin in their Eagle kits (except possibly in the last F-15E bunker buster release, I should compare to be sure)

- The Revell F-15s have no tank

- The only aftermarket ones were released by Cutting Edge and they are OOP as Cutting Edge is dead.

The last option is the tank in the Revell F-4F Phantom. The kit is available but there is only one tank in this kit...

:BANGHEAD2:

DAMN! I was afraid of that. :BANGHEAD2:

I have tried looking around for a photo of a Strike Eagle with only one tank on the center line (as Tamiya would have you install it), but no joy. Thanks for the quick response, guess I'll have to try to source some Cutting Edge tanks.

In fact, CE released two different sets:

- the "classic" tank (indeed a copy of the Revell Phantom tank)

- the WRM tank (http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/details/ce/detail_cec32179.shtml)

I've tried to order the "classic" tank from CE at least two years before the company closed the doors.

Unfortunately, they were already OOP! I finally ordered the WRM tanks but I'll have to convert them (to use on Israeli and Japanese Eagles).

Too bad we've no other option...

Larry,

The standard drop tanks for the Eagle are pointed on both ends. The "nestable" tanks are the wartime quick-construct tanks which have the flattened rear. Sounds like the Revell tanks will work for me, may even consider flattening the ends on them for a wartime configuration.

Daywalker,

U'er right as to the back of the tank being flat.But the intel and a cutaway shows that the F-4 tanks were small and considering the fuel carried in them.The eagle tanks carried more fuel.They were bigger in diameter wise as to the F-4 tanks dia.May sound dumb,but that's what my books say.Do a google check as to the tanks for both A/C and u'll see what i mean.Larry

the F-4E/Gs shifted to the F-15s high speed tank. The Revell F-15E kit has the correct size tank. I made the masters for the CE WRM tank using the Revell tank to start with.

Bruce

Daywalker,

U'er right as to the back of the tank being flat.But the intel and a cutaway shows that the F-4 tanks were small and considering the fuel carried in them.The eagle tanks carried more fuel.They were bigger in diameter wise as to the F-4 tanks dia.May sound dumb,but that's what my books say.Do a google check as to the tanks for both A/C and u'll see what i mean.Larry

BTW, the Tamiya Bunker Buster release has two new tanks. They are larger in diameter than the original tank (which is still in the kit), but still not as large in diameter as the Revell tank, and the ends are still too pointy. In short, they are better, but still not correct.

You might want to see is someone with a Bunker Buster kit wants to give up the original tank in the kit, since it's unlikely that it will be mixed with the new tanks. That way you will have two tanks that match, even though them will be a bit off.

There were two types of centerline tanks used on some F-4s. Later in life, F-4E/F/Gs started carrying the F-15 tank under the belly in lieu of the original belly tank.

F-15 type "Hi Speed"tank on an F-4F:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Germany---A...F-4F/1653244/L/

Original "Royal Jet" centerline tank on an F-4S (USN F-4s used only this type)

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Navy/...F-4S/0975426/L/